4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cobra/Cobra R/Baer/Roush-Alcon - What brakes do I get??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 07:25 PM
Blk N Wht GT
2nd Gear Member

Arrow Cobra/Cobra R/Baer/Roush-Alcon - What brakes do I get??

Ahhhhh!! So I thought I had decided on what brakes I was going to get. The Baer 13" front brake kit ~$900 seemed like a good balance of price and performance. However, I just found out about buyfordracing.com and noticed they have super cheap Cobra 13" front brake upgrade kits ~$400. There is also the Cobra R 13" Brembo kit with 4 piston calipers for ~$1100. If I want to go with Big Boy brakes, Stage3 has the Roush/Alcon 14" front and rear kit for ~$1500 OR I can get the Baer 14" Pro Plus front brake kit with their 6 Piston calipers :O! for ~$1900.

So here's my dilemma. I want great stopping brakes with a nice, grabby feel when I press on the pedal (the GT brakes just aren't doin it for me). I would like to try to save money if possible but I don't want to skimp on performance. My car is a DD and I doubt I will track it, besides the drag strip. I would like to see some badass looking brakes through my wheels (so preferably slotted/cross drilled would be nice) and I want Black Calipers to go with my theme

So, if you have any of these kits, could you let me know how you like them? (pros/cons) Or if you have any suggestions for me? (which kits might not be enough? which would be overkill?) Do I need to do rear brakes? If so, I can get the Baer 13" Kit with front and rears for ~$1100 or the Roush/Alcon kit has them for ~$1500. Pics of any kit on your car would be nice as well.

Cobra 13" Kit - 2 Piston Calipers - Solid Vented Rotors

Baer 13" Kit - 2 Piston Calipers - Cross Drilled/Slotted

Cobra R 13" Kit - 4 Piston Calipers - Solid Vented Rotors

Roush/Alcon 14" Front 13" Rear Kit - 4 Piston Calipers - Slotted

Baer 14" Pro Plus - 6 Piston Calipers - Cross Drilled/Slotted

Last edited by Blk N Wht GT; 02-08-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:01 PM
Blk N Wht GT
2nd Gear Member

BUMP.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:01 PM
MAD SVT
4th Gear Member

heres some pics, i just painted my calipers and upgraded to the baer zinc coated rotors.. stops good, probably the same as the whole baer kit.
Cobra/Cobra R/Baer/Roush-Alcon - What brakes do I get??-p2080038.jpg

heres what the whole cobra kit will end up looking like... sorry to burst your bubble, but they started their life "black"
Cobra/Cobra R/Baer/Roush-Alcon - What brakes do I get??-brakes1.jpg
since its a daily driver, the 4 and 6 piston kits MAY be a bit too much money to spend on something thats not going to get used that hard.

where in socal u live? just noticed the GTR in your sig
Old 02-09-2009, 10:09 PM
Blk N Wht GT
2nd Gear Member

Looks nice and thanks for the opinion. So your point about bursting my bubble is that the Cobra Calipers painted black don't last that long as black?

I live in Irvine so GTR is a good 45 minute drive from me but well worth it. Those guys know what they're doing
Old 02-09-2009, 11:22 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

If you have the cash, get the cobra R kit. If not then go buy a set of Mach 1 brakes for the front. 6 pots are way overkill on your car unless it's a dedicated race car, even then you won't be seeing the speeds to warrant a 6 pot. The 4 pot r's will be plenty, thats what I'll be upgrading to eventually. 4 pots with a 2 piece blank rotor and hps pads.

Drilled/slotted rotors are bling and should be seen as such, if you wanna pay more for the bling then do as you wish, you will hurt performance in the long run, and be replacing pads/rotors more often than they need to be.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:26 PM
Fobra
Banned

I think the best performance for your dollar is cobra brakes, keep your GT rears, new slotted rotors, performance pads and stainless lines
Old 02-10-2009, 12:20 AM
MAD SVT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blk N Wht GT
Looks nice and thanks for the opinion. So your point about bursting my bubble is that the Cobra Calipers painted black don't last that long as black?

I live in Irvine so GTR is a good 45 minute drive from me but well worth it. Those guys know what they're doing
ya, the black doesnt last.. i dont know what it is about it but it wore off about a year after i bought the car.

ya i live in fountain valley and i drove about hour to get there... definately worth it. going in there again in the next couple weeks, once our uncle gives me back my money.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:42 AM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

None, You don't need em lol. But on a more serious note I love the quality and fit of the brembos.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Blk N Wht GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Aereon
If you have the cash, get the cobra R kit. If not then go buy a set of Mach 1 brakes for the front. 6 pots are way overkill on your car unless it's a dedicated race car, even then you won't be seeing the speeds to warrant a 6 pot. The 4 pot r's will be plenty, thats what I'll be upgrading to eventually. 4 pots with a 2 piece blank rotor and hps pads.

Drilled/slotted rotors are bling and should be seen as such, if you wanna pay more for the bling then do as you wish, you will hurt performance in the long run, and be replacing pads/rotors more often than they need to be.
The Cobra R definitely sounds like the max I would want to go (4 pots with 13" rotors). Like you said, the 6 pots would be overkill (but would look badass ) and the 14" rotors are probably unnecessary. I just wanted to fill up my wheels with nice looking brakes.

Yeah I know that the cross drilled and slotted are bling but they look cool, super aggressive, and will still perform well, but I appreciate the input and information.

Originally Posted by MAD SVT
ya, the black doesnt last.. i dont know what it is about it but it wore off about a year after i bought the car.

ya i live in fountain valley and i drove about hour to get there... definately worth it. going in there again in the next couple weeks, once our uncle gives me back my money.
Hmmm that doesn't sound good. We you on them pretty hard (possibly a lot of heat that may have caused it?)

I hope I'm going back to GTR pretty soon too. I'm doing all the supporting suspension mods next, SFCs, FLCAs, RUCAs, RLCAs, CC plates. If you figure out what day you're going, I'll let you know when I have my installs scheduled and maybe we could meet up there.

Originally Posted by Mustang3GT07
None, You don't need em lol. But on a more serious note I love the quality and fit of the brembos.
I do feel like I need a brake upgrade lol. Yeah, I've never heard a bad word about Brembo. I think I'm down to the Cobra or Cobra R (just depends on my funds situation and how far I feel like I can extend myself), seems like factory brakes are pretty damn good these days..

To All:
The Cobra R brakes will only fit certain 17" wheels and all 18"s. I have 18s so fitment wouldn't be a problem but is this because the caliper is slightly larger (extending the diameter of the brake assembly) or are the rotors slightly larger than 13 inches?
Old 02-10-2009, 06:02 PM
thunderhorse
3rd Gear Member

could you put down that link to the Cobra R Brembos for $1100? thanks

Quick Reply: Cobra/Cobra R/Baer/Roush-Alcon - What brakes do I get??