4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

new TB = service engine soon light

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 10:30 AM
DirtyGt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: new TB = service engine soon light

note to self: next purchase = diablosport predator.

thanks guys.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:17 AM
jishead
2nd Gear Member

Yep when I installed the TB/Plenum that I had ported I got an error relating to the throttle position sensor (TPS). I did't feel like dorking with it so I just took the TPS from my original TB and put it on the ported TB and will figure out to do with the non-ported TB/plenum and TPS some other day when I"m bored.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:04 AM
DirtyGt
1st Gear Member

darn light's back on.... guess i'll just ignore it. Just another fundamental of modification. the thing that really gets me is that whenever i have problems like this, most people immediatly revert to the gender issue. >>sigh<<
Old 06-11-2005, 12:18 PM
jishead
2nd Gear Member

Wish I could help you but I agree with SilverGTV8 above that the TPS really needs check at this point. Either with a digital voltage meter or with a predator type tuner. The throttle shafter goes inside the TPS to rotate it and send a varying signal to the computer to let the computer know how much you are mashing on the gas. If thing s are mis-aligned then the TPS could be sending a signal which is highly unreflective of your true throttle position.

Not sure which TB you installed? Did you use your OEM TPS or did the new TB come with a different TPS? Are there any driveability issues? Does the car idle or drive strange now? Let us know what the actual P code is ok?

Sorry 'bout the frustraction. I had the same thing. Spent hour and hours porting and polishing my TB/Plenum. Spent $$$ on new gaskets. Lots and lots of labor. Lots of late night grinding away to make the OEM TB/Plenum from Ebay nicer and maybe pick up a HP or two. Then friggin error code. I just got $#$! and put on the original TPS and that fixed it which proves that it had something to do with my TPS alignment from when I tood the Ebay TPS off and kept it in a box for weeks!?!?

Old 06-15-2005, 10:35 AM
DirtyGt
1st Gear Member

it's the edelbrock tb. the code was actually for the idle sensor. and the light went off yesterday on its own. [sm=dontgetit.gif]
Old 06-15-2005, 12:21 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

It's your TPS like SilverGTV8 said
Old 06-15-2005, 02:32 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: DirtyGt

it's the edelbrock tb. the code was actually for the idle sensor. and the light went off yesterday on its own. [sm=dontgetit.gif]
If it's a 4.6, I dont' think you can adjust the voltage on the TPS. When you said you 'cleared' the code, did you just use the funtion on the code reader, or disconnect the battery for a bit? If you just cleared the code, the computer still has the old info (calibrations) loaded in it for the stock TB. Disconnecting the battery forces the ECU to find all the sensors and recalibrate itself.

The reason the light went off is because it reset itself the long way and now recognizes the new TB and calibrations. If you read the manuals of the OBDII code scanners, it's called a start cycle. anywhere from 2-40 times depending on the sensor and problem to either throw a code or remove it.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:14 PM
DirtyGt
1st Gear Member

it is the 4.6 and i just used the code reader to clear the codes. [sm=thanx.gif] where would i be without my MF family? so i'm good to go now, right?