4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Front struts vs coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 06:25 PM
bigmackloud

Default Front struts vs coilovers

My '00 GT has Steeda lowering springs and apparently stock struts and shocks.

I've been doing a lot of research about the best route to take with struts/coilovers and at this point have thoroughly confused myself.

My understanding of a coilover is that that shock and spring are mounted together. thus eliminating my current front coil springs. but my mustang is lowered already. Will the new coilovers be adjustable enough to make my Mustang sit level? And it appears that most of the coilover conversions are sold separate from the actual strut?? am i understanding all this correctly?

my other options would be a standard Bilstein strut or a Bilstein Cobra R strut. Is the Cobra R version particularly better?

Then there are adjustable struts like KYB and QA1.

My Mustang will be a DD for the most part but I don't mind making some sacrifices for performance. It will see occasional use at the drag strip and hopefully a track day or two.

To me, the benefit of an adjustable strut would be that I could be at the drag strip one day, DD it the next day, and take it to the track all in the same week. But is an adjustable strut really that versatile?

Suggestions?
Old 02-23-2009, 05:53 PM
bigmackloud

What's everyone else running?
Old 02-23-2009, 06:32 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bigmackloud
My '00 GT has Steeda lowering springs and apparently stock struts and shocks.
Great springs for a DD/occasional tracker.

My understanding of a coilover is that that shock and spring are mounted together.

yes
Will the new coilovers be adjustable enough to make my Mustang sit level?
Yes, it has a full range of adjustability.

And it appears that most of the coilover conversions are sold separate from the actual strut?? am i understanding all this correctly?
unless you buy a kit the shocks/struts will come seperately from the sleeves and springs.

[QUOTE=bigmackloud;5964882]my other options would be a standard Bilstein strut or a Bilstein Cobra R strut. Is the Cobra R version particularly better?
[/quote

what are you doing with the car?
Then there are adjustable struts like KYB and QA1.
the kyb's are marginally better than the stock shocks/struts, I have had no experience with the QA1's so I'm unsure about the specs for it (too lazy to google)

My Mustang will be a DD for the most part but I don't mind making some sacrifices for performance. It will see occasional use at the drag strip and hopefully a track day or two.

To me, the benefit of an adjustable strut would be that I could be at the drag strip one day, DD it the next day, and take it to the track all in the same week. But is an adjustable strut really that versatile?
yes the adjustable shocks/struts are that versatile, however if you are wanting it to do all those things well, you are going to wanna spend a bit more and go with tokico d specs, they are the best adjustables on the market.
Suggestions?
Really depends on how much you're planning on spending, for a cheap route I'd just get the tokico d specs and keep your current springs.

What's everyone else running?
I am running bilstein hd's with mm coilovers, 325lb front 525lb rear springs, and a few other suspension mods.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:45 PM
bigmackloud

(hijacking my own thread)

Aereon - I was reading another thread about rear suspension and you posted some really good links. I think I have decided to go with a panhard bar, torque arm, and LCA for the rear. What do you think of the MM LCA's vs the UPR LCA's? The ones from UPR appear to have all the same features (adjustable length, spherical bearing at one end, retain sway bar mount) but are chromoly and over $100 cheaper. In the other thread you didn't seem particularly fond of chromoly LCAs but are the ones from MM really worth the extra $$?