4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Help! No heat and its 30 degrees

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 08:37 AM
nflea7

Default Help! No heat and its 30 degrees

I am new to mustang's, I just got my first one Sunday and I got it with the heat not working. Its a 96 4.6 GT. I ordered a blend door, but I don't know if that is the real problem or not. I hope some of the stang experts on here can point me in the right direction, because its been a very cold week so far. The air only blows defrost no matter what direction the dial is turned on. When its off I can feel heat seeping out the vent, leading me to believe its not the heater core. Is there any quick way to do some basic checks to rule out something simple? Anything that doesn't involve taking out the dash. I can't get to that until the weekend and I have a few more days of 30 degree weather until the weekend and I'm hoping it something simple. Any words of advice are appricated. Thanks
Old 02-25-2009, 08:40 AM
mustangman281
Banned

If it blows but just won't change which vent it blows out of then its the vacuum line that controls it. If it doesn't blow the it could be the switches.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:54 AM
nflea7

Scuse the pun but it blows hard, just not hot air, and it won't switch from defrost to vent, I can feel heat seeping out the vent when the blower isn't on as soon as I kick it on it blows cold. If I turn the hot and cold dial to cold the air gets colder turn it to warm air still cold but not quite as cold. The fan speed switch works fine. The switch that controls the ac/ all the way to defrost will shut off, but in any other position its blowing out of the window vent.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:16 AM
1999 GT
3rd Gear Member

the heat you can feel seeping through the vents is just heat from the engine bay
Old 02-25-2009, 11:19 AM
blee69mustang
4th Gear Member

one of my vacuum lines behind the climate controls was partially out and i wasn't getting heat too. but plugged it back in and its way hot.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:33 AM
nflea7

Is there a diagram that shows what colors go to what plugs on the back of the controls? The guy I got it from had no clue about cars, and it seemed like the guy he got it from had it pimped out and removed a bunch of stuff before he sold it. I would imagine he was a bit careless in removing all his after market stereo stuff. But just in case I'll check the heater core at lunch to see if its getting hot.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:02 PM
mustangman281
Banned

I don't have my vacuum line hooked up. I still have heat but only defrost. I have no need for any other heat so I'm not going to hook up the vacuum line.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:18 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

may sound dumb, but did you check your coolant? that may be why the heat isnt hot, if you have low coolant...wont affect it not blowing to the rest of the vents though... my heat went out in my probe, turned out i just ran low on coolant...just throwing that out there
Old 02-25-2009, 01:30 PM
nflea7

Nothing is stupid at this point except me about mustangs, I'll check the coolant level see if that's the problem. I tried to find the heater core but I couldn't get to it. The blend door is definately messed up, but it could be a vac line leak as well. But I can turn the heat cold dial, and it does something, It does get colder, so maybe it is my heater core or something not getting hot. Is it normal on a car with 76k for a heater core to go?
Old 02-25-2009, 07:00 PM
nflea7

I checked the vaccum line that comes out/goes in the heater core from the engine. Its black thick plastic hooks to the red line that goes across the engine, well it has a hole in about two inches from the wall, could this be causing my heat issue? I tried a quick fix by putting electrical tape on it but its very cold and the plastic tape didn't seal the hole very well. I started to feel a little heat but when I turned up the blower the heat started to fade until it got colder. So what does that vaccum line do or what is it for?

Quick Reply: Help! No heat and its 30 degrees