4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Got a new short throw but need a good handle

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 11:09 PM
ridethemustanggt
1st Gear Member

Default Got a new short throw but need a good handle

I got a good deal on a tri-ax short throw shifter but it doesnt come with a handle. I was looking around and saw UPR sell some that look pretty good. I was wondering who else makes shifter handles that look good. Also does anybody know how to modify the boot so the handle is exposed?
Old 03-01-2009, 11:53 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Kinda like Cliffyk's? I think hes got a write up on his site somewhere: www.paladinmicro.com

I like the look and feel of the bullitt **** but only on the S197's. I think the New Edge bullitt ***** are shorter. Anyway when I bought my MGW I complemented it with a FRPP carbon fiber style 5spd ingraved **** and it looks pretty nice
Old 03-02-2009, 12:11 AM
ridethemustanggt
1st Gear Member

Yea Im planning on doing my boot to show off my handle like that. I wish I got a deal on a mgw shifter but this one was just too cheap to pass up. I might just go with the best looking handle I find. So far I like the rock crusher handle UPR has the best.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:19 AM
stang04chris
2nd Gear Member

i have a pistol grip, it does not look great but fit my hand perfect
Old 03-02-2009, 07:46 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I re-installed my stock lever after years of running the one that came with my Hurst shifter:

I was able to cut down the boot and sew it back up, but would not be able to describe how it was done. You could take it to a fabric store and have one of the ladies shorten it up for you. It is not difficult and those stores usually have a seamstress there for alterations and such. I suppose a taylor could do the same thing.

HTH

Jazzer
Old 03-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Chubstang
5th Gear Member

I'm currently using the billiard ball style from AM and I would not recommend it. It's comfortable but whenever I'm shifting into third spiritedly, my hand slips off into the 460 deck. I'll be making a custom T-handle in the spring.

Jazzer, any more pics of your seats?
Old 03-02-2009, 09:12 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ Check my sig for a couple more. None that are specifically for the seats, but can see them in at least one.

They are Recaro "Speed" seats and had the slides cut down to drop them in back. They are approx. 3" lower, if I recall, than the stock ones and another 1.5" or so due to dropped back legs of slides. They are very comfortable and absolutely motionless in them on the hardest of corners.

Jazzer
Old 03-02-2009, 10:36 AM
03svtcobra12
3rd Gear Member

I've got the stock shifter, but it came with a pistol grip, i hated it, and got one of these

Old 03-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

T-56...

YA BABY!

Jazzer
Old 03-02-2009, 12:43 PM
ridethemustanggt
1st Gear Member

Thanks jazzer I think you answered my question. But as for the actualy **** idk which one im going to put on. I change them about every 4 months or so. I got a whole bag of shift *****. I currently have a t-handle which replaced a pistol grip, which replaced a 35th anniv, which replaced a cue ball, which placed this cylinder looking billet one, which replaced the stock one.

Quick Reply: Got a new short throw but need a good handle