4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Anyone with a Hurst shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 01:32 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Default Anyone with a Hurst shifter?

To put everything in a nutshell, my MGW was one of the first things I ever installed in my car. Ever since I started going to the track though, I've had a lot of problems going into 3rd. Even when it did go in, it just didn't feel positive. I've had this problem for a long time now and even posted about it in this forum several times but only recently I think I figured it out and that is I really have to "push" the **** from the bottom and swing it right as if I am trying to diagonally go into 3rd from 2nd. Of course regular street driving is ok but when I am trying to bang gears as fast as I could on the track, it becomes a huge problem.

I'm trying to see what other shifters I could possibly try and I remember some people told me they had the exact same problem with their MGW and bought a Hurst. I don't see many reviews about them or even pics on 99-04 GT's but mostly only for the S197's.

I also can't find it for sale anywhere except on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hurst...Q5fAccessories

This is still going on for $99 and seems like a good deal. I know summitracing.com sells them too but for much more and it seems to be a bit different (their's has a gold colored bottom??).

So my question is how many different ones did Hurst make for my type of car? Hopefully just one because the one on ebay seems like a good ideal. Also, does anyone here have it? what are your experiences with it? Could you please share any pics? I am curious to see what it would look like inside a new edge. I tried searching all over for pics but I only find ones of them in S197's.

I also heard that Hurst is very heavy and notchy. I read that it is more of an old school shifter but gives you a very positive 3rd shift whereas the MGW is completely the opposite. True?

It's either this or also Pro 5.0 I heard is really good. I need something that will give me confident shifts like bang bang bang...1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

Thanks,
Brandon

Last edited by StriderTacticaL; 03-04-2009 at 01:36 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:03 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I would NOT buy that shifter

It does not even have shifter stops and looks exactly like the Ford one. I have found that the Hurst shifter was a bit "notchy" and later went to the Pro50 in its place. If you want one bad, PM me and I have both a Hurst and Pro50 shifter (with stop bolts) for a T-3650 in my storage shed. I now run a T-56, so I have been meaning to list them somewhere.

As for pics, unless you see it without the rubber boot and trim in your ride, you will not be able to "see" the difference. The handle may give it a way, but will not effect how the shifter itself oporates.

This is the Pro50 I have on my T-56 with the stock lever I cut down a bit. Beside it is the Hurst lever I REALLY cut down and used prior. I switched the lever a month or so ago as I was tired of reaching to make the un-even numbered gears.

Jazzer

EDIT: I have cut down my shifter boot so the lever looks taller than it really is.

Last edited by Jazzer The Cat; 03-04-2009 at 07:05 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:07 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

I have a T-45 transmission and love my Hurst shifter. I have the chrome handle (according to your link its $25 extra). I don't find it heavy at all. It was a bit notchy at first but that went away with use.

Jazzer, I thought you were suppose to take out the stops for a 3650 transmission.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone with a Hurst shifter?-hurst-shifter.jpg  
Old 03-04-2009, 08:45 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

I have a Hurst shifter http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I don't have the long handle

I've never had a problem with this shifter... of course I've never driven a car with a different shifter so I really don't have anything to compare it to.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:10 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by Eagle2000GT
"... Jazzer, I thought you were suppose to take out the stops for a 3650 transmission.
Nope

You want to leave the stops installed, but just adjust them so when the gear is fully engaged, it just a "c" hair short of resting against the stops. That way, you can really BANG the gears and not really BANG the gears. This is true of all manual transmissions.

Jazzer
Old 03-04-2009, 10:30 AM
TOOT
3rd Gear Member

I have the Hurst Billet/Plus shifter and it's notchy. I also have never used any other shifter to compare it to. I give it a thumbs up.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:37 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the replies and pics guys. Eagle200GT, your one seems to be different from the one for sale on ebay...where did you get yours from? And Toot, does your one look the same as Eagles?

The one on ebay seems to be the Comp/Plus one. Where can you get the billet/plus one?

EDIT: Oh nevermind I see it on summit. Damn thats a huge price difference
Old 03-04-2009, 10:41 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

Jazzer, that how I set up the shifter on my T-45, but I've read that the 3650 has internal stops and that the external ones are basically redundant and not needed. I just Googled 3650 shifter installation. The only installation instructions that actually said that though was B&M.

I bought mine at the local Ford dealership. They had ordered it for someone else who never came in to pick it up. I replaced the white ball with a black one from Summit. Summit has similar ones but with a different handle.

Last edited by Eagle2000GT; 03-04-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:54 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Hey Jazzer how does the shift feel with that handle? You're saying that's just the stock handle that you cut down? Cuz I really wouldn't mind having a little more reach on the shifter.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:54 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Cool...and yeah my MGW instructions as well as people who have emailed Tremec said they advised not to use the stops

Quick Reply: Anyone with a Hurst shifter?