4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Is it possible to supercharge and turbocharge?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 12:00 PM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

Default Is it possible to supercharge and turbocharge?

Look at this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercharger

Right above the "Aircraft" section is a small paragraph that caught my eye. Can anyone make sense of this?
Old 03-07-2009, 12:07 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

It is possible. 03/04 Cobras sometimes go twin turbo and keep the stock Eaton.

There's really no point, though, unless one is already there like the stock Cobras. Using just one or the other can make the same power as two.

Last edited by Xemeth; 03-07-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:21 PM
03svtcobra12
3rd Gear Member

yes it is, but the supercharger limits the maximum power because at higher rpms it because an inlet restriction to the turbos
Old 03-07-2009, 12:34 PM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03svtcobra12
yes it is, but the supercharger limits the maximum power because at higher rpms it because an inlet restriction to the turbos
then why would someone want to do it then? I read the the exhaust fumes are REALLY polluted.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:01 PM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

there was an article on this in a recent issue of Modified Mustangs & Fast Fords, past month or so. they called it compound boost. the car made somewhere in the neighborhood of 1200 to the wheels. i have also seen this done on a 2006 cobalt ss, s/c from the factory and then they through a turbo kit on it. i wuldrather have just a s/c, lots lss plumbing
Old 03-07-2009, 01:10 PM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sweger
there was an article on this in a recent issue of Modified Mustangs & Fast Fords, past month or so. they called it compound boost. the car made somewhere in the neighborhood of 1200 to the wheels. i have also seen this done on a 2006 cobalt ss, s/c from the factory and then they through a turbo kit on it. i wuldrather have just a s/c, lots lss plumbing
yeah that's the article that came to mind when i saw this thread. i couldn't see someone going out of their way to install both, but if you've already got a s/c (like the Terminators) then why not?
Old 03-07-2009, 01:25 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Hellion 03-04 Cobra Hellraiser Twin Turbo Kit

Hellion Power Systems has once again revolutionized the way that the world looks at mail order power. Hellion' new "Hellraiser" Twin Turbo system for the '96-'04 Mustang GT and Cobra is simply put, the most powerful, and most versatile, street system available today. This system is unique in the fact that it was engineered to work with or without a Roots style supercharger in place. If the supercharger is left in place, this system becomes a "compound boost" setup - the first aftermarket system of it's kind in the Mustang industry. This system is capable of more boost, more average power, and more low-end torque than any other system.

HELLRAISER FEATURES:
-Turbonetics Turbos capable of 1600+ hp
-100% Stainless Steel Construction-Standard
-3" Downpipes Standard
-Works With or Without Supercharger
-Largest Bypass Valve Available-1300CFM Standard
-UPR Chromoly Front Suspension-Standard
-Kits Ship Quickly so there's no long wait times!

Standard System Includes:
- 61mm Turbonetics turbos with F-1 turbine wheel, and a 1-year unconditional warranty
- High flow, high efficiency air to air intercooler
- High flow race bypass valve, 1,300 cfm
- 100% Stainless Steel tubing, with a lifetime warranty
- All neccessary hardware to install the kit
- Detailed instructions with diagrams, making installation easy
- Hellion Power Systems customer support, the best in the business

Twin Turbo F.A.Q. Section
Q: Can I use this kit WITHOUT a Supercharger in place? A: Absolutely. This kit will attach to a 99-01 Cobra intake just like our other 96-04 Cobra kit. The Supercharger is simply an option for those who want to try the Compound Boost setup .But no, the supercharger is NOT a requirement.

Q: Are there any Turbo upgrades available? A: Yes. You can upgrade to 66mm, or 76mm turbos.

Q: How much power can I expect to make with the Twin turbo system? A: The amount of power you can make is virtually limitless. Depending on how extensive the modifications are to your engine, it would be possible to make around 1,600 hp with this kit. On an '03 Cobra, with a stock engine, we made 1,188 rwhp and 1,000 ft. lbs. of torque. However, the power that you produce will depend upon your supporting hardware.

Q: Why should I buy this kit over the competitor's twin turbo system? A: Simply put, for the quality. Hellion's turbo systems are engineered with the highest quality parts available, for long life and maximum power. Hellion Power Systems includes premium parts as the standard equipment in all its kits. Our tubing comes with a lifetime warranty, and our turbochargers come with a 1-year, unconditional warranty from Turbonetics. Our twin system also includes a race bypass valve, capable of flowing of 1,300 cfm, ensuring that you will never have to buy a bigger valve as your car progresses. In addition to all of this, Hellion's customer support, and shipping times can't be beat. You can order your kit, and have it within 2 weeks from the time of order. The kit also includes an oil scavenge system that ensures that the turbos never run out of, or collect oil, preventing damage to the turbos.

System Options
Larger Turbochargers 66mm - 76mm Upgrade (both turbos) $1,190.00
Ball Bearing Upgrade ( for both turbos, any size) $800.00
TurboSmart eBoost2 Electronic Boost Controller $540.00
Bassani 3" Stainless Steel Cat-Back (IRS or Straight Axle)

Edit: Straight from Lethal
Old 03-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Fobra
Banned

yeah but not really, that hellion kit is just a gimmick for people who are to lazy or dont want to replace the intake stuff and just bolt on a turbo kit. The kit will make more power without the stock eaton restricting the turbos
Old 03-07-2009, 11:19 PM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

i think the advantage to tho running with a supercharger as well is you can run larger turbos than normal (in a twin turbo application) and the s/c would spool them up fatser. they actually said in the article that if the s/c was removed and a 4v intake manifold installed, that the car wouldve mad more power.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:20 AM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

to correct my earlier post saing the article was in MM&FF, it is actually in the Spring 2009 issue of Hot Mustang Projects, which is published byt eh same people who do MM&FF i believe. here is a link

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...bra/index.html

Quick Reply: Is it possible to supercharge and turbocharge?