4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Oil & Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 08:32 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: Oil & Oil Filter

ORIGINAL: OUZBnd

how much is a qt of royal purple? maybe its time i step it up... i guess i should stop using fram filters too..? Just curious, where do you get your claims that they 'suck' ?
I wonder the same thing about half the claims and opinions people make on here. Back it up if you're going to make a blanket statement. I've always used Fram oil and air filters (except for the K&N Air on my car). If you change it every 3K no biggie. The other filters may last longer but why run your oil for 5k or 10K?? It does get thermal breakdown.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:04 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

ORIGINAL: Derf00

ORIGINAL: OUZBnd

how much is a qt of royal purple? maybe its time i step it up... i guess i should stop using fram filters too..? Just curious, where do you get your claims that they 'suck' ?
I wonder the same thing about half the claims and opinions people make on here. Back it up if you're going to make a blanket statement. I've always used Fram oil and air filters (except for the K&N Air on my car). If you change it every 3K no biggie. The other filters may last longer but why run your oil for 5k or 10K?? It does get thermal breakdown.

Due to several recent failures during races in the U.S., FRAM has announced a recall of several models of FRAM oil filters, and racing organizations have banned these filters. Several racers suffered serious injuries when their oil filters literally blew apart, causing them to crash.

Years ago Fram was a quality filter manufacturer. Now their standard filter (the radioactive-orange cans) is one of the worst out there. It features cardboard end caps for the filter element that are glued in place. The rubber anti-drainback valve seals against the cardboard and frequently leaks, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan. The bypass valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them to leak all the time. The stamped-metal threaded end is weakly constructed and it has smaller and fewer oil inlet holes, which may restrict flow. I had one of these filters fail in my previous car. The filter element collapsed and bits of filter and glue were circulating through my system. The oil passage to the head became blocked and the head got so hot from oil starvation that it actually melted the vacuum lines connected to it as well as the wires near it.

Fram Double Guard
Another bad filter idea brought to you by your friends at Fram. The filter itself is a slightly improved design over the Fram Extra Guard, but still uses the same filter element. It has a silicone anti-drainback valve, a quality pressure relief valve, and enough inlet holes for good flow. The big problem is that they are trying to cash in on the Slick 50 craze. They impregnate the filter element with bits of Teflon like that found in Slick 50. As with Slick 50, Teflon is a solid and does not belong in an engine. It cannot get into the parts of the engine that oil can and therefore does nothing. Also, as the filter gets dirty, it ends up filtering the Teflon right out. Dupont (the manufacturer of Teflon) does not recommend Teflon for use in internal combustion engines. Please do not waste your money on this filter.

Old 06-14-2005, 09:20 PM
03GTType
5th Gear Member

Here guys.. they have Mobil, K&N, and Fram X2 oil filters and they are in stock for Mustangs..
I just ordered a Mobil one for my GT.

http://www.autobarn.net/oilfilters.html
Old 06-14-2005, 10:28 PM
CarlessAndy
2nd Gear Member

Having used German cars before my Stang, i use Bosch filter with mobile 1. I havent come across a bad review for them yet but ill keep my eyes open.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:32 PM
Jglisson
3rd Gear Member

Code3GT is right on! If you don't trust reviews and experience/knowledge of others you can also check it out yourself. Cut open a FRAM, and then a equal competitor. Believe it or not, the Walmart Supertech has a large and better quality media then the FRAM does. Fram is popular because of their marketing. They are pretty orange and were the first to jump on the sure-grip bandwagon. That is why people buy them.

If this tells you anything...the manufacturer of FRAM is a producer of your common A/C, heater, ventilation filters found in everyone's house. They know nothing about the automotive industry and are not an automotive based company.

In a nutshell...

Honeywell - makes Fram (In Canada the Quaker State filters are Fram filters / In the USA, QS is Purolator), Pennzoil, Quaker State

Arvin Meritor - makes Purolator Premium Plus, PureONE, SureFlow (Superflow?)

Dana - makes Wix and Napa Gold/Silver, AC Delco, DuraGuards for Canada

Baldwin (Parent of Hastings) - Baldwin, Hastings, Amsoil, Casite, maybe others

Champion Labs - Mobil 1, K&N, Supertech, AC Delco DuraGuards (two different types) for USA, Bosch Premium, STP, Ultraguard Gold, Deutch & Luberfiner

Cummins Engine - owns Fleetguard

Factory filters are usually assigned to the lowest bidder. Champion Labs or Arvin Meritor usually are the manufacturers for your everday FORD, Chrysler filter
Old 06-14-2005, 11:36 PM
mustangmike01
2nd Gear Member

I use Mobile 1 full synthetic with K&N oil filter every 3k or 6 months.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15077/D55AD0A79E9C4C7694272BC21B2AABE9.jpg[/IMG]