4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

leaking coolant!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 07:44 PM
mrxr250rider
3rd Gear Member

Default leaking coolant!!

well my stang just started leaking coolant friday,it happened after beating on it a little
i didnt overheat the car or over abuse it. i let it sit for awhile,drove it later than night didnt have any problems. i drove it a little saturday brought it back to do the x pipe install and just got done with that today(dont ask).
drove up to my moms(20 min drive) after putting on the x pipe,put the petal down a few times to test out the new x pipe and cruised at 60 most of the time.
when i got to my moms the intake was pretty well covered in coolant and was smoking for awhile untill it cooled off.

what can it be? it only seems to leak bad when i put the pedal down.
the radiator had a leak in it and my dad fixed it with stop leak. i told my dad about the problem and he said to try putting another bottle of stop leak in since the car was sitting in the garage all winter but im not sure if thats the problem.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:13 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

Do you have the stock plastic intake WITHOUT the aluminum crossover? if so Bingo!

Also I would highly recommend you NOT using stop-leak or any additives to prevent radiator leakage, thats the lazy mans way and in the end it can cause more harm than good...

The best way to repair a leaking raditor? REPLACE IT

much better than a blown head gasket down the road...theres no cheap fix for that.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:43 PM
stangdriver2007
2nd Gear Member

its got to be your intake manifold if its the original one. If you use any type of sealer it makes your water jackets smaller due to clogging. DON'T even use the Bar's one that says used from the factory. your manifold wont be a cheap fix. I recommend you do it yourself if you can. the manifold will probably run you 200+ and if you need labor on that well just save your pennies. a shop will probably charge you 600+ to do it.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:25 PM
mustangman03
3rd Gear Member

dont ever use stop leak it will ruin the entire cooling system but they are right above more than likely your intake is leaking, plastic pos intake always cracking either around the thermostat or at the back where the heater core hoses are.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:46 AM
musclecarfan87

Are the intakes w/ the aluminum crossovers anymore durable as far as cracking goes, or do they just seal better? What years did they come on? (Mine is also leaking around the front)

Last edited by musclecarfan87; 03-19-2009 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Added information in "( )"
Old 03-19-2009, 06:06 AM
mrxr250rider
3rd Gear Member

i dont think it has the aluminum crossover.

when i drove it this morning it was running like **** and the check engine light came on after awhile,it blinked on and off then stayed lit.
is this from the intake possibly being cracked or could it possibly be from an exhaust leak?
i looked under the hood and there wasnt any coolant on the intake but i didnt beat on it cause it was running like complete crap and i knew something was wrong.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:54 AM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

The aluminum crossover is a redesigned unit that Ford offered as a 7 year recall on the '96 GT's. I'm not sure how long they were offered on other years, but I know they were recalled as well. If the Check Engine Light was blinking that was telling you that whatever the problem is it's causing damage to your cats, usually a bad misfire will do that. Find your coolant leak (most likely it's your intake manifold), and get it fixed first. Then worry about your other issue (if there is one). You may have leaked coolant down by your spark plugs. Once you do the intake manifold pull the plugs and check them. If they're wet or white crusted you should replace them. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:03 AM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

Here's a quick picture of my old NPI heads and intake manifold off my '96 GT. I had the updated intake manifold with the aluminum crossover. See if your intake manifold has that metal coolant crossover in the front.
Attached Thumbnails leaking coolant!!-npi-crap.jpg  
Old 03-19-2009, 02:18 PM
mrxr250rider
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 96GT226410
The aluminum crossover is a redesigned unit that Ford offered as a 7 year recall on the '96 GT's. I'm not sure how long they were offered on other years, but I know they were recalled as well. If the Check Engine Light was blinking that was telling you that whatever the problem is it's causing damage to your cats, usually a bad misfire will do that. Find your coolant leak (most likely it's your intake manifold), and get it fixed first. Then worry about your other issue (if there is one). You may have leaked coolant down by your spark plugs. Once you do the intake manifold pull the plugs and check them. If they're wet or white crusted you should replace them. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
yeah it def had a bad misfire. it was leaking pretty bad yesterday so it could have gotten into the plugs causing the misfire?

my cats should be okay right? only drove it for 15 minutes like that(had no other choice). ill be pissed if the cats are ruined on the xpipe i just bought.

thanks alot btw. this sucks

Edit: dont have the aluminum crossover and theres a puddle by the thermostat housing so i think thats where its cracked.

me and my dad can do the installation. anyone know what i need to fit a p.i intake cause i can find them used on ebay and they will be better than the npi intake anyways

Last edited by mrxr250rider; 03-19-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:35 PM
mustangman03
3rd Gear Member

pi heads

Quick Reply: leaking coolant!!