4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

KNOCKING NOISE??!! HELP!! (VIDEO)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 01:12 PM
94gtcobra
2nd Gear Member

Default KNOCKING NOISE??!! HELP!! (VIDEO)

It started with a light ticking noise and though it was the timing chain tensioners, so i changed them. After i changed them and as soon as i fired it up, it started making a horrible knocking sound, dont know what it is. Any help will be appreciated. Sorry for the video quality.

This is how it was before the bad knocking.

This is the horrible knocking sound!
Old 03-21-2009, 01:23 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

Sounds either like piston valve contact or you blew a rod bearing.

When my timing chain tension was going bad it made kind of a diesel engine sound but it was not very loud. But when my rod bearing blew it sounded a lot like that.

I really don't have much experience with piston valve contact but the few times I have heard it it sounds more like metal on metal and higher pitched.

Either way a full rebuild is likely in order, Sorry to be the Grim Reaper here.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:45 PM
94gtcobra
2nd Gear Member

The motor had been built with forged internals before, i just dont know why this would happen!!!! Maybe the used cheap rod bearings or something.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:02 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

Forged internals can still fail, nothing is ever totally bulletproof.

You also may have mistimed the cam, but I kind of doubt that because the engine was running fine without any extra lope.

Just out of curiosity where did you get your shortblock from, or who made it, or what components did you use.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:09 PM
mustangman281
Banned

The speed of the knock sounds like half the engine speed which means it is something valvetrain related. Either PTV contact or a bad lash adjuster.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:03 PM
94gtcobra
2nd Gear Member

Parts installed on motor (Machine shop work) completed by rays performance New forged crank Bore and hone cylinders .0020 New forged I beam race rods Align Hone on mainNew forged probe flat top pistons Check proper fitment of main bearings (block/crank)New S.H.M race rings Match pistons to cylindersNew ARP main studs Three angle valve jobNew ARP head studs Install main studs in blockNew valve springs and seals Install new freeze plugs in blockS.H.M stage one reground cams Check flatness of block decksNew starter Check flatness of heads gasket surfacesNew water pump Installed valves, springs and seals in headsNew 2004 cobra aluminum flywheel/clutch Balance Entire rotating assembly with dampener New BBK long tube polished ceramic headers and flywheel and clutchOff road X-pipe and flowmaster exhaustAll new gaskets, bearings and seals installed on motorNew timing chains and gearsNew in fender cold air intake. This is all the things done to the engine, i bough it like that and that's what i got in recipts.

Last edited by 94gtcobra; 03-21-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:37 PM
94gtcobra
2nd Gear Member

Ok!! i bought a stethascope, so i listned to everything in the motor. The noise is the loudest in the front top by where the tensioners are at and the cam gears are at, both sides have the knocking noise! So what other things can cause that bad knocking sound in front side of the engine. My guess is that it can be numerous things, CAM TENSIONERS,CAM GEARS,TIMING CHAIN,CHAIN GUIDES,CAM BEARINGS, ETC......
Old 03-21-2009, 08:29 PM
97gold
2nd Gear Member

when i did yhe pi swap i put the tensioner's on backwards and it made the same noise
Old 03-21-2009, 09:20 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

lol that noise is so obvious its not funny, dont even need a stethoscope from the interwebs

TIMING CHAIN TENSIONER FAILED BRO

4.6 TRADE MARK
Old 03-22-2009, 09:49 AM
94gtcobra
2nd Gear Member

I changed the primary tensioners already, unless its the secondary ones. Its something that caused tension in the front, because as soon as i changed the tensioners its when the noise started to get louder.

Quick Reply: KNOCKING NOISE??!! HELP!! (VIDEO)