4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

PI Intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 04:15 AM
sanitarium16
2nd Gear Member

Default PI Intake

Can i install just the plastic intake manifold and not the heads for my 98 GT? If so, how hard is it to bolt on?
Old 06-16-2005, 04:52 AM
devinsteen
4th Gear Member

Default RE: PI Intake

Yeah, you can do it. It's a pretty easy intsall. It took me 3hrs the first time I take off the manifold, then I got really fast at it the second time around. All you need is some PI gaskets and a new coolant tube and you can bolt it on. Oh yeah and there are adapters plates if you want to go that route.....I hear they work well, but it will cost you more $$
Old 06-16-2005, 08:12 AM
andy98gt
3rd Gear Member

DOnt even do it unless you change your heads to. Its not like its gonna help much. I think Devinsteen said he gained like 14 HP outta it. Might as well save up the 800 for the heads and add 50 HP. What your going to do is like puttin perfume on a pig
Old 06-16-2005, 11:22 AM
ahollings52
1st Gear Member

all the same... the plastic intake manifold makes me awfully nervous - particularly running the nitrous... the adaptor plate makes for an easier install, but isn't really necessary? can anybody go into more detail for me?
Old 06-16-2005, 12:04 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

The LS1s all have plastic manifolds and they operate very smoothly on a 150 shot. Same with the Mustangs... just dont go over a 125 shot and you are safe... as long as you are properly tuned and timing is yanked.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:12 PM
ahollings52
1st Gear Member

i've got mine jetted to 100, so i suppose i can save that dough, be a real man, and buy a set of gears
Old 06-16-2005, 01:45 PM
bearster18
2nd Gear Member

i have a set of those PI intake adapter plates for sale if your interested. I bought them thinking i was only going ot add the intake but i have now decided to buy the whole headswap. SO I will sell them for $100 shipped.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:41 PM
devinsteen
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: andy98gt

DOnt even do it unless you change your heads to. Its not like its gonna help much. I think Devinsteen said he gained like 14 HP outta it. Might as well save up the 800 for the heads and add 50 HP. What your going to do is like puttin perfume on a pig
The intake is worth doing if you don't want to do the heads right now....that costs a lot more money. THe intake is cheap and esay to install and adds around 15 rwhp......I'd say that's worth it.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:37 PM
JonBeast

ORIGINAL: devinsteen

The intake is worth doing if you don't want to do the heads right now....that costs a lot more money. THe intake is cheap and esay to install and adds around 15 rwhp......I'd say that's worth it.
Yea Andy, doing PI heads is a whole different story. I am also thinking about going a PI intake. 15 hp is a lot, how can you downplay that? Its going to cost over 1000 if you can't install the heads youself, which not everyone can do. I am going with just a PI intake because my motor has 116K on it, and I don't wanna mess with it too much because it may go soon. So I figure a PI intake will give me enough power to satisfy me. But I'm not sure yet, maybe heads will come too, I never know til it happens
Old 06-16-2005, 10:25 PM
devinsteen
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JonBeast

ORIGINAL: devinsteen

Yea Andy, doing PI heads is a whole different story. I am also thinking about going a PI intake. 15 hp is a lot, how can you downplay that? Its going to cost over 1000 if you can't install the heads youself, which not everyone can do. I am going with just a PI intake because my motor has 116K on it, and I don't wanna mess with it too much because it may go soon. So I figure a PI intake will give me enough power to satisfy me. But I'm not sure yet, maybe heads will come too, I never know til it happens
Hey JonBeast, you could always port and polish your stock heads. THey will out-flow the stock PI heads......I'm considering doing this instead of the swap.

Quick Reply: PI Intake