4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How much does it take to make a procharged car streetable?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 03:47 PM
Black_GT_02
4th Gear Member

Lots of tuners go for the magic number of 380. That way if you are tuning the car in a pretty hot atmosphere, you won't potentially hurt the car when you are running it on a nice colder night. It also doesn't put a lot of strain on your rods and pistons, which are the first to go usually.

Remember, you can't have underdrive pullies on with a s/c (for future reference)

Procharger told me with midpipe, catback, throttle body, and plenum I am freeing up 1.5 to 2 lbs of boost. One of the most important things with s/c applications is a custom tune and just make sure the guy knows what he is doing. A lot of it is down to timing. For example, i have a D1SC which already makes 3-4 more lbs of boost over the P1 and am at 13lbs at 383rwhp where a lot of people are around 8 at that hp. It's just a difference of timing. But you can't just go up to 20lbs :P
Old 03-26-2009, 03:52 PM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Black_GT_02
Lots of tuners go for the magic number of 380. That way if you are tuning the car in a pretty hot atmosphere, you won't potentially hurt the car when you are running it on a nice colder night. It also doesn't put a lot of strain on your rods and pistons, which are the first to go usually.

Remember, you can't have underdrive pullies on with a s/c (for future reference)

Procharger told me with midpipe, catback, throttle body, and plenum I am freeing up 1.5 to 2 lbs of boost. One of the most important things with s/c applications is a custom tune and just make sure the guy knows what he is doing. A lot of it is down to timing. For example, i have a D1SC which already makes 3-4 more lbs of boost over the P1 and am at 13lbs at 383rwhp where a lot of people are around 8 at that hp. It's just a difference of timing. But you can't just go up to 20lbs :P
So are you saying that all I need is a throttle body/plenum combo? If so then what should I go with? a 75mm, 80, 90, etc?
Old 03-26-2009, 04:05 PM
Black_GT_02
4th Gear Member

I think they only sell 70mm and 75mm TB's. For forced induction I would go with 75mm.

I went with a Professional Products 75mm throttle body and an Accufab plenum.

Accufab is pretty expensive but they are better than the competitors and it looks really nice all shiny and ****. I personally didn't see the purpose of buying such an expensive Accufab throttle body. I didn't see how it could be THAT much different than competitors for the fuction it serves. I did however think that a more expensive plenum would be good since the air is in it longer and the better curve/smoother it is the better.

Be prepared though, if you are going s/c then you will need quite a bit of supporting mods and it's not cheap.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:08 PM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

I think they only sell 70mm and 75mm TB's. For forced induction I would go with 75mm.

I went with a Professional Products 75mm throttle body and an Accufab plenum.

Accufab is pretty expensive but they are better than the competitors and it looks really nice all shiny and ****. I personally didn't see the purpose of buying such an expensive Accufab throttle body. I didn't see how it could be THAT much different than competitors for the fuction it serves. I did however think that a more expensive plenum would be good since the air is in it longer and the better curve/smoother it is the better.

Be prepared though, if you are going s/c then you will need quite a bit of supporting mods and it's not cheap.
What supporting mods would I need?
Old 03-26-2009, 04:18 PM
Black_GT_02
4th Gear Member

90mm maf or some sort of blow-thru maf
42# injectors or 39# cobra injectors with adapters (they were tested at 43#'s)
SCT tuner or something similar
Degree colder plugs (NGK TR6's or equivalent)
At least boost, wideband gauges

I found a great deal on a supercharger and ended up buying all the supporting mods and all used for around 2500 bucks.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:21 PM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

90mm maf or some sort of blow-thru maf
42# injectors or 39# cobra injectors with adapters (they were tested at 43#'s)
SCT tuner or something similar
Degree colder plugs (NGK TR6's or equivalent)
At least boost, wideband gauges

I found a great deal on a supercharger and ended up buying all the supporting mods and all used for around 2500 bucks.
I currently have a diablo sport tuner. Can I get all those things after I get the procharger installed or is it highly recommended that I get it done before? This is not including the throttle/plenum right body right? Also, what about "blower cam?" Should I get those too?
Old 03-26-2009, 07:45 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

you need all those above mentioned parts just to run the car with a blower. You can get the TB/plenum and blower cams later.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:39 PM
Black_GT_02
4th Gear Member

The above mods will get you 400rwhp-ish without blower cams.

A Diablo tuner will work just fine, just be sure to find a tuner that is respectable that will run with your Diablo
Old 03-26-2009, 09:06 PM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

The above mods will get you 400rwhp-ish without blower cams.

A Diablo tuner will work just fine, just be sure to find a tuner that is respectable that will run with your Diablo
With respect, why do I need those above mentioned mods? What do they do for my car/blower?
Old 03-26-2009, 09:11 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kongdong
With respect, why do I need those above mentioned mods? What do they do for my car/blower?
so your car will get enough fuel enough air or your motor would go boom

Quick Reply: How much does it take to make a procharged car streetable?