4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

TIRED of bumpy ride!! suspension options

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 06:05 AM
enrobriaffej
3rd Gear Member

Exclamation TIRED of bumpy ride!! suspension options

OK, im really fed up with the ride quality im getting. I figure if im going to keep her for a while, its probably time to replace the shocks and struts anyways at 75K. I need some options on how to make it a much smoother ride. For instance, should i get springs as well? I don't care at about race quality or performance handling; i just want a smoother ride.

So what are some good options for shocks and struts and possibly springs too? Money is somewhat of an issue, but if i can buy everything before my house is finished getting built then it would be much less of an issue. If i do get springs i don't want anything below a 1" drop.

advice needed, thanks in advance.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:40 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

There is no need to have a rough ride to have a nice handling ride.

I would contact MM and discuss with them the current set-up and how you would like to improve it. If you want improved cornering, look into full-length sub-frame connectors and coil-overs up front. This will improve your ride AND your twisty experience.

You may also go with a slightly higher profile tire next time around as this can be VERY benificial, depending on what you currently run.

HTH

Jazzer
Old 04-11-2009, 08:54 AM
enrobriaffej
3rd Gear Member

MM? mustang monthly? Well what do you think would benefit RideQuality the most? shocks and struts right? any good brand suggestions; for instance would auto zone or O'Reily parts do? Would springs affect RQ negatively or positively? B/c if i should get springs as well to help improve RQ, that will alter what struts/shocks i buy. What else would help; brushings, CC plates?

i don't really know much about cars, but i am learning as i go along. And i'm not too concerned with performance as i have full bolt-ons and its still not fast. If i'm going to do anything else performance wise, i'll worry about improved traction and handling then....as the only other perf mods i can do are costly.

Also, i have brand new bf Goodrich tires 245/45/17 i believe. and theyre supposed to be very soft.

Last edited by enrobriaffej; 04-11-2009 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Spit366

Lol,what Jazzer means by MM is Maximum Motorsports, not the magazine!!!. As far as shocks and struts i like the Bilstein ones, theyre not adjustabe or anything but sure as hell are better than stock and as far as im concerned you could special order them at O'Reilly, but then again you could order them from American Muscle or MM as well.

There are other shock/strut brands like KYB, Tokico, QA1 and so on, but if you just want the smoother ride i think Bilstein should be fine.

Concerning the springs youre looking for, take a look at Ford Racing Performance Parts B Springs or C Springs, dont forget to replace the spring isolators. Most people will say theyre not needed but since you want ride quality and dont wanna lower more than an inch i say buy em.

And also you might need a Bumpsteer kit but im not sure since youre aiming for a 1 inch drop.

The CC plates are a must, i recommend the ones from Maximum Motorsports.

As far as traction most guys here will recommend the Nitto 555 for Daily use but since you already got the BFG no sweat, theyre not bad.

Hope it helps and good luck!!!
Old 04-11-2009, 12:01 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

subframe connectors will make the ride smoother
Old 04-11-2009, 12:25 PM
enrobriaffej
3rd Gear Member

Spit, out of all the brands you mentioned, u picked bilstein--by far the most expensive lol. I'll probably start with just shocks and struts and forget about springs for now. I'm actually pretty happy with my "stance." I was more asking if springs affect RQ at all, like could my old springs be hurting it? I may also go with control arms and/or cc plates with the shocks/struts. So thanks for the info guys.

Also, out of curiousity, is that brand i see advertised all the time.....Monroe shocks/struts, are they any good? Cause while i see their ads, i do not see them anywhere on any of the mustang parts sites.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:36 PM
Spit366

Yeah i know theyre kinda pricey, but theyre good stuff, either way tokico blues are badass too, and not as pricey!!!.

You're stock springs are fine if you're not concerned about the stance, although a lower car does offer better handling.

About the monroe brand, well theyre fine if you just wanna replace youre shock/strut with one similar to the OEM, they wont be better than stock unless theyre worn out.

The best thing would be a shock/strut and CC purchase.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:41 PM
enrobriaffej
3rd Gear Member

gotcha, i'll def go with one of the brands you listed! thanks again
Old 04-11-2009, 01:37 PM
isjoining
3rd Gear Member

get adjustable shocks/struts like the tokico d-specs, and yes welding full length subframe connectors will help as well.