4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

COMMON QUESTION..

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 10:44 AM
5.0 85 GT
3rd Gear Member

cliffy k, excuse my stupidity but i didnt understand that....you have no idea how greatful i am that you typed that up, and i will use that to help my issue....but what does that little symbol mean? and by reading the resistance you are saying to unplug the wire connectors and pull/tug it to see how much lenth i have ? i also question the PCM thing, wouldnt there be more issues with the car if the pcm was bad? i know you are just stating possiblities...thanks and i will try that out...ill keep re reading until i understand
Old 04-19-2009, 10:51 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by 5.0 85 GT
cliffy k, excuse my stupidity but i didnt understand that....you have no idea how greatful i am that you typed that up, and i will use that to help my issue....but what does that little symbol mean? and by reading the resistance you are saying to unplug the wire connectors and pull/tug it to see how much lenth i have ? i also question the PCM thing, wouldnt there be more issues with the car if the pcm was bad? i know you are just stating possiblities...thanks and i will try that out...ill keep re reading until i understand

Ok that symbol stands for Ohms, its a measure for resistance. Do you have a digital volt/ohm meter? Please do not pull and tug on the harness. That can cause more damage. Cliffy is basically telling you to ohm out the sensor, if it reads ok, then you have a wiring issue. If the sensor reads out of spec, then the sensors bad and the harness is ok.

If the harness has a wire damaged, just repair it. Theres no need to replace it.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:29 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

^+1, this character, Ω, is the Greek letter Omega--it is the international symbol for the unit of electrical resistance--Ohms, and has nothing to do with any sort of physical resistance to force, motion or whatever...

You need a digital multimeter to measure the electrcial resistance of the O2 sensor's heater circuit...

The PCM has many, many control circuits--it is quite possible for one or more (like the O2 sensor heater controls) to fail and the car still operate...
Old 04-19-2009, 06:33 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by cliffyk
The PCM has many, many control circuits--it is quite possible for one or more (like the O2 sensor heater controls) to fail and the car still operate...
But its very unlikely that this is the case.. Like I said, check the wiring extremely closely on the harness, if it checks out, replace the sensor.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:27 PM
5.0 85 GT
3rd Gear Member

ok sounds good guys, will do that tomorrow, i am going to drive my truck then when i get home from work ill jack it up and cehck it out...i appreciate all your help, also i dont have a ohm meter/volt one, ill ask autozone tom if i can use one, and i cleaned my IAC today with carb cleaner..didnt do jack, so i will be buying a new one...white fox..stupid question, but i have alwasy wanted a badass lightning..how do you like it? and does it haul ***? thansk for the clarifcation too cliffy....i will look into all of this becuase it is bothering me...

ALSO, some one posted before and said to repair theri harness was 300$, a used oen that works from MPS is 115 shipped....why?