4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Hydrolock :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 11:40 AM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

Unhappy Hydrolock :(

well it started pouring down here in houston yesterday and i found myself on an unfamiliar stretch of road with a couple inches of standing water. it was an access road to i-10 from downtown with no shoulder and barricades on both sides, so i really had no option but to keep going (traffic behind me and no way for them to get around me if i stopped, nowhere to turn around either). the water wasn't too deep (maybe 3 inches at most) and then i hit a dip in the road and i knew that was it. i turned the ignition off as quickly as i could but by that time it was too late.

this morning i pulled the spark plugs and used a siphon to suck as much water out of the cylinders as i could. i turned the motor over by hand while the plugs were out and it felt ok, so i cleaned the plugs and put em back in and tried to crank it up, hoping for the best but expecting the worst. it turned over a few times, started up, then i heard a noise that sounded like a rod eating sh*t, and it seized up completely. i know i can probably file a claim with my insurance, but honestly i'd rather not have some beat up used engine in my car even if it's free (i'm pushing about 10 psi of boost btw). so i guess i'm left with the option of rebuilding. bad news for my checking account, but good news for the car i guess.

i guess i'm looking for some feedback. obviously i don't want to go really wild with the new setup because i have to keep some sort of a reasonable budget, but this seems like as good an opportunity as any to go with a forged bottom end, ported heads, and blower cams. should i be worried that water passed through my blower? will it need to be rebuilt too? any feedback and/or links are appreciated.

Last edited by texas_stang02; 04-19-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:57 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

MMR600 2450 shipped.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:19 PM
CAMDUP
3rd Gear Member

did u drain the oil and replace it b4 u started it ?? if there was water n the cylinders then there was almost sure to be water in the oil pan
Old 04-19-2009, 01:03 PM
mustangman281
Banned

I was just talking to a guy the other day that was off roading in in dodge ram. He drove right into a big hole and submerged the front of the truck. The rod came right through the block. He didn't know what to do so I told him to call his ins and tell them her ran off the road and into a ditch full of water. They told him it will be an at fault accident with mechanical damage and they will cover it.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:28 PM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CAMDUP
did u drain the oil and replace it b4 u started it ?? if there was water n the cylinders then there was almost sure to be water in the oil pan
yeah i changed the oil and filter first, i was expecting water in the oil but there wasn't any ?? the water wasn't too deep, and i wasn't in it that long.. but obviously long enough to suck air through the intake. my air filter is pretty low in the fender, so i'm sure that didn't help.

i may try to go the insurance route. i'm not sure what they will say about the supercharger though.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:38 PM
Perf_white_GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by texas_stang02
yeah i changed the oil and filter first, i was expecting water in the oil but there wasn't any ?? the water wasn't too deep, and i wasn't in it that long.. but obviously long enough to suck air through the intake. my air filter is pretty low in the fender, so i'm sure that didn't help.

i may try to go the insurance route. i'm not sure what they will say about the supercharger though.

what supercharger?
Old 04-19-2009, 09:31 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

It sucks having the air filter so low to the ground with a supercharger. I'm about to add a 90* coupler and extension to move the air filter by the foglight area after all these stories I'm hearing.

Last edited by vanquish; 04-19-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:42 PM
5.0 85 GT
3rd Gear Member

damnn sorry to hear that...your sig shows one bad a gt...goodluck with the new build up..i hate to hear that and it scares me that it happened...good thing mines under the hood...see if it is worth it though first to go through insurance..cause if your rates go up..idk i guess al said and done it might be cheaper to just sweat it thorugh the checking account....buy a gt500 crate motor from ford racing for the low low price of $14,500 ahahah jk goodluck man
Old 04-19-2009, 10:55 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

dude that blows. skip insurance and go mmr shortblock.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:04 PM
95redv6stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Perf_white_GT
what supercharger?
+1. That's an idea.

As far as your sittuation, Sorry about your loss bro. I live near Katy and I almost had the same luck as my ENTIRE neighborhood had water up to people's doors. I decided to park about a half mile from my house but I know you had no other option.

I say take your bad luck and build an even sicker motor as long as it doesn't break your bank. Otherwise use insurance for what it's worth.

Quick Reply: Hydrolock :(