4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What tires are better in the corners?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 06:06 AM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

Default What tires are better in the corners?

OK so I am getting new wheels and tires soon, and want tires that are more for corners than drag racing. I have narrowed it down to a few choices.

BF Goodrich G Force Sport
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...w=false&cs=275

Nitto NT555

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3

Never had any experience with the BF Goodrich, and very little info can be found on them on this site. I know a lot of people on here prefer the NT555's, and the price is right, but how do they do in the corners? I have had the GY F1's on some other cars, but the cars (2006 Civic Si and 2000 Miata SE) do not compare at all to my Mustang and I know the same tire will perform differently on different cars. What I am looking for is, in this order, dry performance, wet traction, stiff sidewall, tire life. And under $250 each, which all of these are. Also, is it better to run a staggered (245/45 up front and 275/40 out back) setup for the kind of driving I will be doing? Would I be better off going with 18" wheels?

Right now I am looking at American Racing Shelby Torq Thrust in 17x9 which are about 23lbs and the MM Konig Villain 17x9 at 21lbs. If I go 18's, the only wheels I am really considering are the SVT 2000 Cobra R in silver or the Steeda Ultra Lite in satin finish (I wish I could find these in 17's that aren't chrome...).

As for my suspension setup, I am stock for now and will eventually (within a year) be running Ford C springs, Bilstien or Tockico D-Spec struts/shocks, MM sub frame connectors/CC plates/panhard bar/torque arm/lower control arms/bump steer kit. Brakes will be off of the Cobra both front and back.

Any suggestions on any of this, please post it up. And don't come in here saying **** about how I should set my car up for drag racing because its easier/cooler/meant for it/etc...
Old 04-28-2009, 06:59 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Of the three listed, I have only run the F1's. I went from them directly to Michelin PS2's and understood better the Eagles are NOT a great tire for the twisties. I think the tread pattern is MUCH more suited for the wet. The PS2 is going to be out of your price range, but ***HERE*** is my review anyway.

To some extent, you will have to sacrifice tread-life for traction. I got about 22k out of my PS2's and are a bit softer than the F1's, but GOBS more traction. I will go with what you have already figured and say the NT555's are your best bet in my mind. Should see 30k if you don't mark your territory such as a dog in someone elses yard.

As for future suspension mods, check back in at that point with similar questions. There are a couple different routes to go and some are detrimental to the twisty.

Jazzer

PS. You should set your car up for drag racing because its easier/cooler/meant for it
Old 04-28-2009, 07:14 AM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

I knew/hoped you would chime in. Thanks for the input. I also emailed Maximum Motorsports to get their input on everything. I am kind of leaning towards their Wheels, the Konig Villain, but haven't seen any pics on cars yet.

P.S. - Jazzer, you are a smart a$$
Old 04-28-2009, 09:01 AM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

and Jazzer...what happened to all the pics in your garage on here?
Old 04-28-2009, 10:21 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ I have never finished the "Garage" list as I have the original pics in my sig. I am not really sure why there are two locations for such things, but the Garage has a serious limit on pixels so didn't want to make dinky pics of my originals.

Jazzer

PS. Who..... me a smart-a$$ never!
Old 04-28-2009, 10:36 AM
xterm11
1st Gear Member

Jazzer you say there are a couple of different routes to go with and some are detrimental to the twisties. What would be a good starting point to build it the right way? I'm not looking for anything as amazing as your is (although if I could afford it I would do it in a heartbeat) but, something that will get me started on the right track.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:37 AM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

thats the stuff i was looking for...thought it was all in your garage not the albums haha. your car is sick, plain and simple. but you know this...
Old 04-28-2009, 10:40 AM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

back on topic though...

22k tread life is what i consider "decent" and wil pass my standards if everything else is good on the tire.
any input on whether i should run staggered fitment or if i will be good with running 275/40's on all 4 corners? and other suggestions for wheels as well?
Old 04-28-2009, 03:34 PM
josh662234
3rd Gear Member

Where's jmac when you need him
Old 04-28-2009, 03:44 PM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

yeah or defconfire

Quick Reply: What tires are better in the corners?