4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Control arms

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 11:31 AM
krazymofo22
1st Gear Member

Default Control arms

I want to have a better traction. I was thinking of getting lower control arms. Do i need upper control arms or not?
I have 2002 GT and my suspension mods right now is, H&R super sport springs and Bilstein shocks.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:23 PM
grogan
3rd Gear Member

might as well get both. u will be under the car, whats another 4 bolts and get the whole rear solid
Old 04-28-2009, 04:36 PM
krazymofo22
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by grogan
might as well get both. u will be under the car, whats another 4 bolts and get the whole rear solid
Ya but it will cost more..lol..what do the upper control arms actually do?
Old 04-28-2009, 05:40 PM
grogan
3rd Gear Member

sets the pinion angle. i think thats for when u smash the throttle it keeps the pinion at the same angle as the driveshaft.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:49 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

Aftermarket upper control arms with polyurethane bushings allow for less left-and-right deflection in the axle when driving. Generally, for dragstrip cars this is good. For autox cars, this causes the axle to bind up in hard cornering.

So if you want to drag and have the extra dough, replace them with better ones. If you want to dodge cones, leave the stock ones in (or replace them with the improved OEM MM uppers found on their site if they are worn) and get a panhard bar to complement them.

If you want the best/cheapest solution (in my opnion) get the MM lower control arms and leave the stock uppers alone if the bushings look ok. The MM lowers have a special bushing that decreases axle deflection while not causing the axle to bind in hard turns. This is what I would have done originally if I had done the research I have now.

MM's site has a lot of helpful info about suspension. It is just all hidden in their product descriptions.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:51 PM
krazymofo22
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by grogan
sets the pinion angle. i think thats for when u smash the throttle it keeps the pinion at the same angle as the driveshaft.
am i able to do that myself? do i need a gauge or something to setup the angle?
Old 04-28-2009, 05:53 PM
krazymofo22
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by PaintballFreak
Aftermarket upper control arms with polyurethane bushings allow for less left-and-right deflection in the axle when driving. Generally, for dragstrip cars this is good. For autox cars, this causes the axle to bind up in hard cornering.

So if you want to drag and have the extra dough, replace them with better ones. If you want to dodge cones, leave the stock ones in (or replace them with the improved OEM MM uppers found on their site if they are worn) and get a panhard bar to complement them.

If you want the best/cheapest solution (in my opnion) get the MM lower control arms and leave the stock uppers alone if the bushings look ok. The MM lowers have a special bushing that decreases axle deflection while not causing the axle to bind in hard turns. This is what I would have done originally if I had done the research I have now.

MM's site has a lot of helpful info about suspension. It is just all hidden in their product descriptions.
thanks for the info paintballfreak
Old 04-28-2009, 06:09 PM
krazymofo22
1st Gear Member

im looking at their website now and theres a few of heavy duty lower control arms. Whats the difference between all of them? Besides the car years.

Theres 4 of them for my 2002 on the maximum motorsports website ..which one do i pick?

Last edited by krazymofo22; 04-28-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:29 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

I would recommend the FRPP uppers and the MM standard duty lowers...p/n MMRLCA-5.

Casey
Old 04-28-2009, 07:38 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

I just got these ones today from UPR in the mail today Pro - Series Chrome Moly Adj Lowers with aluminum bushings for 174 shipped.

http://www.uprproducts.com/shopping/...r+Control+Arms

Quick Reply: Control arms