4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Engine RPM Differences

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 11:25 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Question Engine RPM Differences

What crucial parts in a "built" motor allow it to safely spin a much higher RPM than a stock motor?

The stock 4.6 red lines as like 6k right? Aren't some after market motors spinning 7.5k or better? If i were to build my motor, or put a built motor spinning higher rpms in my vehicle, is there a possibility of damaging any of my accessories by over driving them? What about a twin screw supercharger only made to spin at factory rpms? Could that be damaged as well?

Are there big benefits for be able to have a motor safely spin to higher rpms? Like more peak power or just a longer ranger of the same hp available?

Sorry if this doesnt make sense im not sure how else to ask my question here. I just want to see if it is really worth it to have a motor which is safe to handle a much higher rpm range, or if it would be smarter to keep it rev. limited to factory specs.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:09 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

When you fully build an engine the rev limit can go through the roof, 10"Terror (Jim of Cushman Motorsports) has an engine spinning to a little over 11k IIRC, its a destroked 5.4l 4v.

One benefit of having a an engine that is capable of spinning higher is the potential to make more naturally aspirated power, assuming you can get heads and cams and vavlesprings that would support that at higher rpms. Otherwise you would run into massive power falloff problems or potential damage.

Another benifit you have with a high reving engine, assuming it makes linear power, is the gear longevity. For example with an 11k rpm redline engine on a stock geared Mustang, you could take first gear up to 74mph and because of that would scoot pretty quickly.

But you obiously couldnt keep all your low end torque because of a lack of, variavle valve timing, so that really wouldnt be feasible, but it is a neat idea.

As for the stock redline... I have cams and I have mine at 6250 I seldom take it up there but that is where my redline sits.

I would honestly leave it at 6k or 6.2k and shift at 5750.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:13 PM
grogan
3rd Gear Member

im sure its not safe but my car is running stock heads, cams, and bottem end. its an automatic and it shifts at 7k
Old 05-03-2009, 12:14 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

wow 11k! Thats up there! ya thats one thing i forgot to ask about was the valve train, im assuming a stock setup couldnt handle super high rpms.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:34 PM
35aniv stang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver
wow 11k! Thats up there! ya thats one thing i forgot to ask about was the valve train, im assuming a stock setup couldnt handle super high rpms.
Not for very long.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:53 PM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by grogan
im sure its not safe but my car is running stock heads, cams, and bottem end. its an automatic and it shifts at 7k
No that's not safe, and are you really sure its 7k... or does it just look like it on the dash?
Old 05-03-2009, 07:54 PM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Anything past 6500RPM I would ditch the stock harmonic balancer
Old 05-03-2009, 09:29 PM
grogan
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stevecooper
No that's not safe, and are you really sure its 7k... or does it just look like it on the dash?
its reading 7k on the dash...wouldnt be able to trully say its at 7k...my shift light is set at 6400 and my rev limiter is at 7200
Old 05-03-2009, 09:33 PM
mustangman281
Banned

Spinning a stock motor to 7K is just begging to have to buy a new engine. At 7K you are floating the valves cause the springs suck, scoring the cams and bearings due to lack of oil.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:34 PM
mustangman281
Banned

Originally Posted by grogan
its reading 7k on the dash...wouldnt be able to trully say its at 7k...my shift light is set at 6400 and my rev limiter is at 7200
Shift light in an AUTO Is it attached to a big tach?

Quick Reply: Engine RPM Differences