4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

NOOB signing in...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 11:45 PM
black35th
4th Gear Member

Well, Brenspeed has that classified under 86-04. 86 all the way up to 98 used plug wires and a coil pack/distributor set up. In 99-04 they actually went to a COP (Coil Over Plug) design which eliminates the use for the typical (older) plug wires.

Basically with the COP design there are just 2 wires that go to each COP, and the computer tells them when to fire, the wires are just signal wires really. I could go in depth, but like I said, that's the basics.

Now, you can upgrade the COP's, but there isnt really much power to be had with that upgrade unless you have some extensive modifications that would require you to have more spark.

As for the plugs, not exactly sure on the number that I went with. Just go to your local parts store and tell them that you just need the stock plugs for your car. You don't need a hotter/colder plug for a stock motor.

When you change your plugs, you need to get a torque wrench and torque them to spec, I don't recall exactly what the lb/ft number is, but I can get it for you tomorrow if no one else chimes in. The reason for torquing them to spec is, the heads on our cars have a nasty habit of spitting spark plugs out, in fact it happens all the time. There are only about 3 threads on the head that hold the plug in, and if not torqued, or if it's over torqued, it can make those aluminum threads unhappy.

You need to get a Chilton or Haynes manual and that will guide you through a lot of things on your car.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:23 AM
silver_dream

Originally Posted by black35th
Well, Brenspeed has that classified under 86-04. 86 all the way up to 98 used plug wires and a coil pack/distributor set up. In 99-04 they actually went to a COP (Coil Over Plug) design which eliminates the use for the typical (older) plug wires.

Basically with the COP design there are just 2 wires that go to each COP, and the computer tells them when to fire, the wires are just signal wires really. I could go in depth, but like I said, that's the basics.

Now, you can upgrade the COP's, but there isnt really much power to be had with that upgrade unless you have some extensive modifications that would require you to have more spark.

As for the plugs, not exactly sure on the number that I went with. Just go to your local parts store and tell them that you just need the stock plugs for your car. You don't need a hotter/colder plug for a stock motor.

When you change your plugs, you need to get a torque wrench and torque them to spec, I don't recall exactly what the lb/ft number is, but I can get it for you tomorrow if no one else chimes in. The reason for torquing them to spec is, the heads on our cars have a nasty habit of spitting spark plugs out, in fact it happens all the time. There are only about 3 threads on the head that hold the plug in, and if not torqued, or if it's over torqued, it can make those aluminum threads unhappy.

You need to get a Chilton or Haynes manual and that will guide you through a lot of things on your car.
NICE...That does explain alot! Thank you so much...
Old 05-09-2009, 12:57 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by black35th
Welcome to MF.

For a good tune up-

Change the plugs
Fuel filter
Oil/Oil filter
I would change the tranny fluid
Rear end fluid
New air filter
forgot about the PCV valve.

OP: how many miles are on the car?
Old 05-09-2009, 02:12 PM
silver_dream

Originally Posted by 945LSTANG
forgot about the PCV valve.

OP: how many miles are on the car?
OH ya, I always forget that little thing!

101000 miles on it!
Old 05-09-2009, 02:31 PM
01GTDropTop
2nd Gear Member

Check your belt, coolant hoses and vacuum hoses for replacement.

Suprised nobody has mentioned the coolant flush. I'm willing to bet your water may have a black/brown/green appearance? If so, do a coolant flush.

In all actuallity, coolant flushes should be done annually. I'm not saying I done mine every year, just saying.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:07 PM
jeff37110
2nd Gear Member

+1 on the coolant flush.
I would run just oem plugs such as motorcraft. As far as the coils go, I would leave them alone unless one is bad.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:57 PM
silver_dream

Good info on the coolant guys thanks. I will use stock plugs...anyone know the gap?
Old 05-10-2009, 12:37 AM
asiansensation78
1st Gear Member

I copied and pasted my list from another thread but here's what I did as soon as I got my car:

-Change Fuel Filter
-Change All Brake Pads to GS6 Carbon Ceramic Pads
-Flush Coolant with Prestone Super Flush
-Flush Brake Fluid
-Change Transmission Fluid to Royal Purple Synchromax
-Change Wiper Blades
-Add Rislone to Oil
-Check Air Filter
-Check Hoses
-Check Tires for Wear
-Check Wheel Ends for Endplay and Noise
-Inspect Steering Linkage
-Stare At My Car A Lot
Old 05-10-2009, 02:24 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by silver_dream
Good info on the coolant guys thanks. I will use stock plugs...anyone know the gap?
0.052-0.056 in.

or

1.32-1.42 mm
Old 05-10-2009, 04:52 PM
mustangman03
3rd Gear Member

I think your car will have gold coolant you might have to get it from ford b/c it is hard to find at parts houses, Change Transmission Fluid to Royal Purple Synchromax if its a manual. if it is an auto i would be weary of changing the fluid in if it has 100,000 miles on it unless it has been changed before if it hasnt been changed in100,000 miles and you change it you run the risk of the transmission tearing up

Quick Reply: NOOB signing in...