4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Computer Problems after LT install?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 11:09 PM
thunderhorse
3rd Gear Member

Default Computer Problems after LT install?

Hey guys.. I just got my car back from a LT install at a shop that specializes in Mustangs. I love the extra power.. I can really feel it... however, I've experienced a few problems with the car today. At idle, it would slowly chug back and forth from 1000rpm to about 600rpm in neutral. I later had it stall on me with the clutch all the way in (believe me it wasn't a driver error). Another problem I've experienced is the lighting in my gauges.. I looked for a switch for this, and if there is one, please let me know.. I felt so dumb! My headlights are on fine, but my gauges, radio etc. are terribly lit. Do I need a tune by SCT sort of thing?.. or is this something they can fix without a tuner?
Old 05-31-2009, 12:26 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

I did ask about something like this once in the Sniper tuning forums and Cliffyk who posts there and here told me that one computer problem I may incounter with LT's is the 02 transport delay table. Something about how the stock computer is calibrated for the 02 sensors being where it is stock and with some LT's the 02 sensor bungs are placed a further distance and it may throw off readings or calculations. It was something he said could be changed with the Commando package but not the regular Special Forces package....for Sniper tuners.

If that is your problem I am pretty sure a SCT vendor can take care of it
Old 05-31-2009, 03:25 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by thunderhorse
Hey guys.. I just got my car back from a LT install at a shop that specializes in Mustangs. I love the extra power.. I can really feel it... however, I've experienced a few problems with the car today. At idle, it would slowly chug back and forth from 1000rpm to about 600rpm in neutral. I later had it stall on me with the clutch all the way in (believe me it wasn't a driver error). Another problem I've experienced is the lighting in my gauges.. I looked for a switch for this, and if there is one, please let me know.. I felt so dumb! My headlights are on fine, but my gauges, radio etc. are terribly lit. Do I need a tune by SCT sort of thing?.. or is this something they can fix without a tuner?
Rotating the headlight **** anti-clockwise should increase the instrument cluster illumination level--all the way to the left will turn on the dome light...

Re: the LTs, as Strider said most LT headers relocate the O2 sensors further from the exhaust ports which can mess with the PCM's brain and create the sort of problems you describe. This (the O2 Transport Delay settings) can be corrected with a proper tune.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:17 PM
572ysc
2nd Gear Member

Ha thats is weird mine has a SlP loudmouth catback exhaust system and since like a week it is acting up to. The gauges and odometer are off when i start the car but the lights in the cluster are on then like 20 seconds later they will all function properly. Any ideas what it could be??? I hooked it up to a snap on modis and it said it could not comlete the OBDII check, but when I got under actual readings everything works fine. Also I seems as she is running very rich.