4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Drag Radial help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 04:36 AM
devinsteen
4th Gear Member

Default Drag Radial help!

Ok, so I want DR's as my next mod. I want a very streetable DR that can hook like a bish at the track. This is my daily driver so I do not want slicks. I don't care too much about tread-life....I just want to be able to run them on the streets/highway safely. Are Nitto's the answer or is there a better choice for me??[sm=helpout.gif]

Oh yeah, and how much can expect the DR's to take off my 1/4 mile time???
Old 06-28-2005, 09:36 AM
orang04gt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Drag Radial help!

go with the nittos
Old 06-28-2005, 09:54 AM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

I got the BFG DR's and I am very happy with them. It takes very little to heat them up and they stick like Velcro.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:08 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Nittos, expect 10-15k miles out of them and greatly improved traction.
BFG's, expect 3-5k miles out of them and better traction than Nitto's, they don't need to be as hot as Nitto's to stick
MT's, expect 2-3k miles out of them and are the best hook you can buy for a drag radial.

Personally, if its a daily driver I think Nitto's are the best all around option. With your setup I'd expect .3 - .5 off your 1/4 time. Make sure you get 275/40/17's whichever tire you choose. Also, if track performance is your main concern maybe consider a spare set of rims and MT's drag radials... or better yet slicks.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:42 AM
98UAGT
2nd Gear Member

I thought if you went with slicks, you had to go to a 31 spline axle.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:55 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: mdvaldosta

BFG's, expect 3-5k miles out of them and better traction than Nitto's, they don't need to be as hot as Nitto's to stick
MT's, expect 2-3k miles out of them and are the best hook you can buy for a drag radial.

Personally, if its a daily driver I think Nitto's are the best all around option. With your setup I'd expect .3 - .5 off your 1/4 time. Make sure you get 275/40/17's whichever tire you choose. Also, if track performance is your main concern maybe consider a spare set of rims and MT's drag radials... or better yet slicks.
I agree 100% with Joe, I went with the BFG on my car as it was kind of a compromise between the nest milage and the best hook. I am not sure if the Nitto would have even helped me that much, as I planned to spray out of the hole, but I know the BFG works
Old 06-28-2005, 12:34 PM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

Make sure you get 275/40/17's whichever tire you choose.
Why is that? Just curious.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:18 PM
AllVenom
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BicketyBam

Make sure you get 275/40/17's whichever tire you choose.
Why is that? Just curious.
To get the most rubber you can get on the ground and still fit in your wheel well...
Old 06-28-2005, 03:16 PM
DaMach04
4th Gear Member

We just slapped some M/T ET Streets on my dad's vette. They hook like a bish and are as close to a slick as you cant get and still have a street tire. Even tho at 65mph out on the interstate my dad broke them lose and put the back end out sideways, but that is just caus that car is built like a bish.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:27 PM
devinsteen
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JD1969

I agree 100% with Joe, I went with the BFG on my car as it was kind of a compromise between the nest milage and the best hook. I am not sure if the Nitto would have even helped me that much, as I planned to spray out of the hole, but I know the BFG works
Yeah, the BFG's seem the way to go. I want some traction!! I don't really care about how long they will last since I will be keeping a set of street tires on hand. I just figure when I burn the DR's off then I have a set a street tires waiting incase I don't have the dinero for more DR's.[8D]

Quick Reply: Drag Radial help!