4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need help! Motor missing poss after wash

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 03:33 PM
2k-convert-gt

Default Need help! Motor missing poss after wash

ok here is the deal, 4days ago I bought a 02 gt Convertable 5-speed.
It was super dirty. I spent all day yesterday cleaning it. Last night I cleaned the motor. All I did was spray it with purple power, and spray it off with the water hose.
This morning I drove it about 50 miles and came back home. Run perfect.
I had to move it for a dumpster I ordered. Still ran perfect. I came back in and called around for new tires. Found some in about 30mins.
Went outside to drive the car to the tire shop and it had a stedy miss. I thought it may have somthing to do with the way it was seting. Drove it about 10 mins. Changed nothing. Took it back home and I heard a high piched screem. I poped the hood and could not tell where it was coming from.
I thought it may be a pully. So I took the belt off and spun the pullys. They all felt fine. So I started the car with the belt off and it ran perfect....
What could cause the motor to miss, but not with out the belt??? What should I do to pin point it?? FYI: the check light came on, but when I hook up the scaner it can't read the codes. It shows an error message
Old 06-22-2009, 04:05 PM
mustangman281
Banned

Pull the coil on plugs and look for water.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:38 PM
2k-convert-gt

This is going to sound stuiped but where Are the coils? I can't even see the plug wires on this thing
Old 06-22-2009, 05:18 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

doesn't have wires. it has individual coils per cylinder located underneath the fuel rails. should be a 7mm bolt holding them on, just unplug, unbolt and pull em out.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:49 PM
2k-convert-gt

Yeah after I posted this I found them... Wow that's some crazy wires. Nothing like ls1 coils anyway.
I changed all the plugs and the wires. And it fixed it right up, crazy when I got to check the codes it showed missfire on 5cyl and bank 1-2 lean.
It's all fixed up good now, runs better then ever! But I have another question how do you keep trash and dirt out of the spark plug holes? When I went to change the plugs, it took longer to clean out the holes then it did to change the plugs! I was wondering if they made a cover for them or any tips on keeping dirt and water out of the holes.

Btw: I LOVE the set up on a mustang! So much eazyer then changing plugs on an lt1-ls1. Chevy needs to take a look at this set up for sure.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:44 PM
grogan
3rd Gear Member

once the coil on packs on in the rubber boot seals it. or atleast it should. lol
Old 06-24-2009, 10:22 PM
gunpig0313
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2k-convert-gt
It was super dirty. I spent all day yesterday cleaning it. Last night I cleaned the motor. All I did was spray it with purple power, and spray it off with the water hose.
I thought it may have somthing to do with the way it was seting. Drove it about 10 mins. Took it back home and I heard a high piched screem. I poped the hood and could not tell where it was coming from.
I thought it may be a pully. So I took the belt off and spun the pullys. They all felt fine. So I started the car with the belt off and it ran perfect....
FYI: the check light came on, but when I hook up the scaner it can't read the codes. It shows an error message
If you're going to clean the engine use some thing oil based, not a degreaser. That noise you heard was the belt its old as hell change it. Try to stay away from the belt when cleaning the engine.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:25 PM
gunpig0313
3rd Gear Member

Was the error message p1000
Old 06-25-2009, 06:43 PM
grogan
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gunpig0313
Was the error message p1000
i have that code..something like "something" not completed or something like that
Old 06-25-2009, 08:39 PM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by grogan
once the coil on packs on in the rubber boot seals it. or atleast it should. lol
it should but it doesn't... i have the same problem, the first time i changed plugs about a year ago there was all kind of sh*t down there that i had to clean out, otherwise i would have gotten dirt down in the cylinders.

Quick Reply: Need help! Motor missing poss after wash