4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Off-road x-pipe questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 09:58 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

Default Off-road x-pipe questions

i understand that not having cats is illegal, but thats not my concern. i have an 02 gt and would like to know which is more effecient and powerful, off road x-pipe with or without cats, and how drastic of a sound change is there on a basically stock setup? i currently have flowmasters on the car, don't know what series tho cuz they came with it from previous owner.

now while i do enjoy the sound of a loud and aggressive exhaust, i don't want to get laughed at and hastily denied whenever i goto a brake tag station. (keep in mind though that they're not usually very strict here about cats, but they will check if obnoxiously loud)

if anyone can provide actual output numbers comparing the two, a video/sound clip, or anything else that would greater aid in the selection process, it would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-01-2009, 10:14 PM
asiansensation78
1st Gear Member

Without cats will yield more power and sound. O/R pipes will come in X and H configurations and both have a distinctive sound. It will be louder, you will notice it, but it's not going to be a night and day difference. Mustangexhaust.com will have quite a few clips of exhaust sounds
Old 07-01-2009, 11:12 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

Thumbs up

thanks bro, that helped a lot
Old 07-01-2009, 11:28 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

The power difference between an off road x and a high flow catted x will be absolutely minimal! I don't recall where, but i remember reading a article where they did test this on a mustang, and there was 1-2 hp difference.

Basically a catted mid pipe will be smoother and deeper sounding, with much less rasp and popping. It obviously won't be as loud as the o/r pipe, but will be significantly louder than the stock setup.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:47 AM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

yeah i think i'm just gonna go with the catless o/r x-pipe, they seem to be considerably cheaper in price. i seen one made by Pypes that was under $200, haven't really heard much about the brand, any thoughts/comments/problems on it??
Old 07-02-2009, 12:20 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Pypes makes a decent pipe, another cheap brand is Summit. Got my H for like $150.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:12 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

I hope your not having a shop install it, I had to get my BBK fitted to my headers by a shop and if it wasent for the cats on the xpipe they wouldnt have touched it, regardless that I already removed the old ones. They found out the pipe had cats and fitted it with hangers and welded to the collectors how I wanted for $80. I noticed a major difference in mine after I got it going, its a little quieter than when it was uncapped and the power gain was tremendous. Then again I did do the entire exhaust at the same time, headers all the way back. Recommend cherry bomb vortex cat back also, fits great, sounds beautiful and only cost me about $180
Old 07-02-2009, 02:33 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Any shop that turns down a pipe just because it doesn't have cats is ghey. All they are worried about is someone coming in with a ticket and giving them hell. The fix is a waiver that states you realize removing the cats or installing a pipe without cats is illegal and you release the shop of any responsiblity when it comes to the legality and function of your pipe. My tint shop does the same thing. If you get anything less that 35% (legal in MD) you sign a waiver stating that you know it is illegal and that if you get a ticket, you will be paying them to remove the tint and that they are in no way responsible for it.

CYA FTW!
Old 07-02-2009, 03:20 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlueBloodedPony
Any shop that turns down a pipe just because it doesn't have cats is ghey. All they are worried about is someone coming in with a ticket and giving them hell. The fix is a waiver that states you realize removing the cats or installing a pipe without cats is illegal and you release the shop of any responsiblity when it comes to the legality and function of your pipe. My tint shop does the same thing. If you get anything less that 35% (legal in MD) you sign a waiver stating that you know it is illegal and that if you get a ticket, you will be paying them to remove the tint and that they are in no way responsible for it.

CYA FTW!
They actually showed me the notice from the corporate headquarters stating anyone involved in removing of catalytic converters will be fired on the spot. The shop wouldnt have cared otherwise, even though it is still illegal.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:28 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

You go to Midas or something? Any small business wouldn't have issue with it. It's a money business, no mom and pop shop is going to turn you away just because you want an illegal mod. As long as your cash is green (except you canada) they will take you.

Quick Reply: Off-road x-pipe questions