4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

brake rotor red hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 03:21 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
You did twist and push the caliper in the right direction when you installed the new pads right? But like everyone already said, get a new caliper (make sure you specify which side) and you should be set
if he moved it the wrong direction, he wouldnt have gotten the pads in... or if he moved it the wrong direction then back the right direction, he would possibly have air in the system and a spongy pedal....i dont see how twisting it the wrong way would affect anything like sticking...

my car had the pins in the caliper seize on the rear for both sides

passenger side i was able to rip the boot off, clear out the rust, pull out the pins....then i bought a pin kit that comes with slider pin and boots and i replaced the pins and the boots

driver side was beyong fixing, so i ordered a new caliper bracket, i think it was like $15 but dont quote me on that...came with the bracket, pins, and boots

OP, check your caliper bracket before replacing the whole caliper... make sure the pins slide good and make sure the boots arent ripped...pull the boots back and remove the pins and grease them up...if theres any rust, or if the pins are stuck, get new pins or a new caliper bracket if you feel its necessary
Old 07-07-2009, 03:55 PM
masterofthepuppets99
2nd Gear Member

the pins on the caliper bracket itself? i never thought that that could have anything to do with my problem but i will sure check them right now!
Old 07-07-2009, 03:57 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by masterofthepuppets99
the pins on the caliper bracket itself? i never thought that that could have anything to do with my problem but i will sure check them right now!
yes those pins

if the caliper isnt sliding, the brakes can stick
Old 07-07-2009, 04:09 PM
masterofthepuppets99
2nd Gear Member

well one of those pins was lubed and looked good. the other one was full of rust powder. so i dumped out the rust and lubed it up. it slides better but not as well as i'd like
Old 07-07-2009, 04:15 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

well one of those pins was lubed and looked good. the other one was full of rust powder. so i dumped out the rust and lubed it up. it slides better but not as well as i'd like
this could have helped what caused your problem... dumb question, but you put brake grease in them right? not chassis grease? if you pull the pin out, does it look good inside where the pin rides? if so, call advanced and ask for a pin kit for it and then just replace the pin and boot...if it looks bad inside of there also, call and ask for a caliper bracket
Old 07-07-2009, 04:17 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...entId=cat30058

(this one should come with boots, even though not pictured)
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...entId=cat30058
Old 07-07-2009, 05:48 PM
masterofthepuppets99
2nd Gear Member

so i bought a new caliper, rotor, and pads along with some grease. installation went smoothly and the caliper came with pins and boots.my old pins has chassis grease on them and so that was what i used this time. all i have to do now is bleed my system out tomorrow, but im off to work now
Old 07-07-2009, 07:34 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

so i bought a new caliper, rotor, and pads along with some grease. installation went smoothly and the caliper came with pins and boots.my old pins has chassis grease on them and so that was what i used this time. all i have to do now is bleed my system out tomorrow, but im off to work now
never use chassis grease on brakes

/facepalm

also, why buy a whole new caliper without testing out just replacing the pins/bracket?
Old 07-08-2009, 01:32 PM
masterofthepuppets99
2nd Gear Member

the reason i bought a new one is this: i have a lifted up jeep cherokee and my passenger side rotor locked up once. only it never got red hot and it took me a while to figure out what it was. i pulled the caliper off and compressed the piston and then hit my brakes to bring the piston back out. then i compressed the piston again. i did this multiple times. i also lubed it with BRAKE GREASE. it was just because the caliper decided it was time to take a ****. and i feel that the mustang caliper did the same
Old 07-08-2009, 05:44 PM
masterofthepuppets99
2nd Gear Member

so i bled my brakes out and they work good. there is no howling at 50-65mph speeds (which is where i heard it before). so my wheel bearing is not thrashed like some thought it was. when all is said and done im out 120 bucks for a new caliper, rotor, and brake pads. it looks nice and it works nice

Quick Reply: brake rotor red hot