4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I snapped a bolt off in the head HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 09:43 PM
highpsi04
Banned

Just slowly drill a small hole into the bolt keeping it cool like sxynerd said. Once you get about 1/8 inch into the bolt use an easy out to get it out. If that doesn't work just drill the bolt all the way out and helicoil the hole. More then likely you cross threadded the bolt so you will have to helicoil it anyway. Aluminum doesn't like being retapped.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:52 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by highpsi04
Just slowly drill a small hole into the bolt keeping it cool like sxynerd said. Once you get about 1/8 inch into the bolt use an easy out to get it out. If that doesn't work just drill the bolt all the way out and helicoil the hole. More then likely you cross threadded the bolt so you will have to helicoil it anyway. Aluminum doesn't like being retapped.
I tried drilling a small hole but without keeping it cool and I failed miserably. I will try using some PB blaster with it next time. Its definately not cross threaded, I just overtightened it like a retard.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Thumper2Kewl

Well the way i would do it, and have done it many times. Cover all the timing components and get a small nut just bigger than the size of the bolt. If you have access to a small mig welder hold the nut centered over the broken bolt with a pair of pliers and weld it to the bolt. Then it should come out real easily. This has worked for me many times.

Hope it helps ya.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:07 PM
cbbass123
1st Gear Member

i've always used heat to loosen broken bolts stuck to heads. Heat and a reverse drill bit kit.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:30 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

damn, the welding idea is a good one, I never even thought of that.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

If the bolt is in anyway recessed in the head, there's no way to do it that way without instantly melting the aluminum.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:21 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sxynerd
If the bolt is in anyway recessed in the head, there's no way to do it that way without instantly melting the aluminum.
Exactly what I was thinking.

I just tried the drilling while using some PB blaster and failed miserable. Theres like a little dent in the bolt, but its becoming horribly off center and its not actually drilling into it. I just broke 3 drill bits. I guess I need to take it to a machine shop.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:47 PM
01GTDropTop
2nd Gear Member

If the bolt is not recessed and is pertruding, use some PB blaster and get a pair of small vice grips. Grip the little **** and slowly turn the bolt out of there. You did oil the threads before installing, correct??

This is what I did when I broke an intake2head bolt on my brother's truck. Then again, i did another one, but it was recessed. Now that one was a B*TCH! I used some easy outs from Harbor Freight. a #2 was perfect.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Thumper2Kewl

Originally Posted by sxynerd
LMAO well theres always a way but it wouldnt be very economical for me to drive to PA to show him how lol,

Anyway if the bolt is recessed a little just simpley make small tach's on the end of the bolt to extend it and let it cool a few minutes after each tach. then weld the nut to it and your good to go.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:08 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Thumper2Kewl
LMAO well theres always a way but it wouldnt be very economical for me to drive to PA to show him how lol,

Anyway if the bolt is recessed a little just simpley make small tach's on the end of the bolt to extend it and let it cool a few minutes after each tach. then weld the nut to it and your good to go.
the bolt that broke off is a little 8 mm bolt, I just don't see how that leaves much welding room.

Quick Reply: I snapped a bolt off in the head HELP!