4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Sluggish performance?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 02:02 AM
ultrashock2112

Default Sluggish performance?

Hi, please bear with me as I'm new - I've tried to search for the answer but I didn't find it!

About a year ago I bought my first Mustang, it's a 2000 GT, Manual. I've always loved Mustangs and I love it so far, the only thing is I'm worried I'm possibly not getting the performance out of it that I should be. My friend drove it and he said it seemed a little sluggish (he's driven Mustang's before). Then I read something on here and the guy said he can burn rubber in second and his car "throws his head back". Well, mine doesn't do that. I've seen all sorts of pics of guys with smoke pouring out the back of their Stang's, I might be able to do that if I floored the gas and dropped the clutch (never tried). If I had my car "idling" forward in first gear and floored the gas, should I burn out? If so, it doesn't. I'm just trying to get an idea of what I should expect since this is the only one I've ever owned/driven.

Just so you know, I've done the following to my car:
- Replaced spark plugs
- Put in a CAI (K&N)
- Cleaned the MAF wire
- Cleaned the IAC motor.
- Checked for obvious vacuum leaks
- Checked the resistance on the fuel injectors (and checked to make sure they were "clicking").
- Ran a fuel treatment through to clean the fuel injectors.

I'm out of ideas, in my Hanes manual it suggests to check the EGR, but I don't have the tool they say you need.

Any feedback is much appreciated!!

Phil
Old 07-05-2005, 02:06 AM
WAG03GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Sluggish performance?

Dunno man somethin doesnt sound right though
Old 07-05-2005, 02:18 AM
03GTType
5th Gear Member

Really it depends on what mods the other guys car has.. If he has gears installed burnouts are simple. Find out what he has in his and then we can give you a more accurate response. The Mustangs stock is not that powerful, its the mods that make the car..

Edit: Also make sure the traction control is off if you try to burnout..
Old 07-05-2005, 03:59 AM
Dave2000GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ultrashock2112

Hi, please bear with me as I'm new - I've tried to search for the answer but I didn't find it!

About a year ago I bought my first Mustang, it's a 2000 GT, Manual. I've always loved Mustangs and I love it so far, the only thing is I'm worried I'm possibly not getting the performance out of it that I should be. My friend drove it and he said it seemed a little sluggish (he's driven Mustang's before). Then I read something on here and the guy said he can burn rubber in second and his car "throws his head back". Well, mine doesn't do that. I've seen all sorts of pics of guys with smoke pouring out the back of their Stang's, I might be able to do that if I floored the gas and dropped the clutch (never tried). If I had my car "idling" forward in first gear and floored the gas, should I burn out? If so, it doesn't. I'm just trying to get an idea of what I should expect since this is the only one I've ever owned/driven.

- Replaced spark plugs
- Put in a CAI (K&N)
- Cleaned the MAF wire
- Cleaned the IAC motor.
- Checked the resistance on the fuel injectors (and checked to make sure they were "clicking").

I'm out of ideas, in my Hanes manual it suggests to check the EGR, but I don't have the tool they say you need.

Phil
I recently got a 2000 GT 5speed and it sounds the same as yours. Having formerly owned a Fox Notchback 5.0 I was really surprised at how much less low end these cars have. Unless your car is running notiiceably bad (like bad idle, weird noises) then I think it's fine. Unless your friend OWNS a Mustang similar year etc. then you shoudln't really freak just based on what he says. Something to keep in mind if your talking about burnouts is that tires will make a huge difference, my car will not burnout if I punch it in 1st gear either, only if I drop the clutch a bit, but I bet if I had some crappy tires it would no problem. I'm getting 4.10 gears to make up for the lack of low-end that these motors have, you should too.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:05 AM
sickspeedgt
3rd Gear Member

make sure you have the Traction control off, when you start the car it is on, you have to turn it off if thats not it. get it tuned because something is wrong, new plugs maybe, mine was running bad with a bad plug and coil.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:13 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

- Replaced spark plugs
- Put in a CAI (K&N)
- Cleaned the MAF wire
- Cleaned the IAC motor.

Phil
Youve never revved it up and dumped the clutch before? Are you like a senior citizen or something? If If u cant burn rubber with stock tires between 1st and 2nd, there is something wrong.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:16 AM
Dave2000GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

- Replaced spark plugs
- Put in a CAI (K&N)
- Cleaned the MAF wire
- Cleaned the IAC motor.

Phil
Youve never revved it up and dumped the clutch before? Are you like a senior citizen or something? If If u cant burn rubber with stock tires between 1st and 2nd, there is something wrong.
Do you mean actually BURN rubber ? Or chirp ?

Just wondering because my car will chirp no problem but not actually burn through the gear at all. I've got Toyo's they are pretty grippy tires.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:04 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Excuse me, and very good point. I didnt clarify myself. I meant chirp, but with my old 245's i could break loose @ about 20-30mph if i reved it all the way and dumped the clutch. I did it while making a normal pass with my buddies bone stock 03 GT at the track 2 weeks ago. I wasnt used to the lack of traction and his bald tires.The 275's are much better.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:50 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

when you say chirp, do you mean in first and second gear? it should be no problem to spin all of first with the T.C. off. if you can only chirp second when shifting from 1st at high rpm's then it sounds like you have a lack of power. i own a 04 gt with 15000 miles with not that many mods, and i can chirp second no problem at low speeds like 20-25 mph and low rpm's. and when i really get on it and i shift second hard it will spin 2nd and keep spinning till i back off the gas. this is a really hard question to answer just by talking about tire burning. the easist way to solve your problem is to race a nother mustang like yours with the same mods. also how many miles does your clutch have on it, the clutch can be slipping.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:14 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

What year is your car? Auto? 5 speed??

Quick Reply: Sluggish performance?