4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 04:17 PM
GT Tommy
1st Gear Member

Default Exactly which wiring harness did you replace?

Can you tell us exactly which wiring harness wires you replaced? When the fire started, did it burn any 02 sensor wires? Here's one thing you can do to check if it is a fuel related problem. When ever you get the engine running, shut it down and try restarting it again. If it does not start, go to the back of your car, position yourself to where you can hear if your fuel pump is priming or not. Have a helper turn on your ignition switch to the on position, you should hear your fuel pump priming for a couple seconds. Try that 2 or 3 times to make sure. If you hear your fuel pump priming, that tells you that your fuel pump circiut is ok. If you don't hear your fuel pump priming then do this. Disconnect your fuel pump wire connector just above your rear bumper at the rear of your gas tank. Have your helper turn your ignition switch to the on position while you test the wire connector terminals that is running from your inertia switch to your fuel pump. Make sure you test the side that is coming from your inertia switch, not the side that is running to your fuel pump assembly. If you do pick you voltage, then you know that your fuel pump relay is working, and that your fuel pump is bad. If you don't pick up voltage, then you have to back track the circuit all the way back to your fuel pump relay. Being that you replaced several wire harnesses, I would think perhaps one or more of the terminal pins in one of the wire connectors somewhere may be bent out of position. However, your engine does start up by kick starting it, that's what makes it difficult to find. The only other thing I can think of is your starter relay circuit, or starter itself. The fire could have damaged something in that circuit, or in the starter itself. By kick starting your engine, and your engine starts, this points to your starting system. Was your starter exposed to the flames from the fire? Good luck, Tommy.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:56 PM
fineline81

I replaced the engine harness, the trans harness, and what ever one the headlights are on.
the fuel pump seems to be working correctly
Old 08-10-2009, 08:28 PM
fineline81

I just had a thought...
Is it possible for all of this to be caused if the 2 wires on the crank shaft position sensor were reversed?

I just remembered, when connecting the harness, the wires came out of the connector, and it is possible I stuck them back in the wrong order
Old 08-11-2009, 02:20 AM
GT Tommy
1st Gear Member

Default Here's what you should have!

I just looked at a wire diagram from AutoZone. The 2001 GT Mustang crankshaft sensor wires should be Dark Blue and Gray. The Dark Blue is the + (positive) and the Gray is the - (negative). It does make a difference where this wires are hooked up. These wires must be hooked up right. Not sure if the crankshaft sensor terminals are identified with the + and - signs. Hope this helps. Good luck, Tommy.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:42 AM
GT Tommy
1st Gear Member

Default I just checked Napa Auto Parts

I just looked at Napa Auto Parts Online. Here's what their crankshaft sensor wire connector looks like for a 2001 GT Mustang. One color is different from the AutoZone wire diagram. What colors do you have? In any case the Gray is on the left and the green is on the right as you look at it with the locking tab on the top. I would think that the green takes the place of the Dark Blue wire from the diagram. Hope this helps. Good luck, Tommy.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:05 PM
fineline81

Thank very much...
The wires were reversed.
Unfortunately, it still wont start...
My single biggest regret with this car, is that I didnt just let it burn when it caught fire.
I had to be an idiot and put out the flames

Last edited by fineline81; 08-11-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:27 PM
GT Tommy
1st Gear Member

Perhaps Jhell00 is right, try replacing the cranksensor. You may have damaged the sensor by crossing the wires, worth a try. Good luck, Tommy.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:57 PM
fineline81

Originally Posted by GT Tommy
Perhaps Jhell00 is right, try replacing the cranksensor. You may have damaged the sensor by crossing the wires, worth a try. Good luck, Tommy.
I probably will, it just doesnt make sense to me.

I would think a bad crank sensor might make the engine run rough, but would it keep the car from starting?

I tried disconnecting it completely, and still no luck
Old 08-22-2009, 02:46 PM
fineline81

Nope, Not the crank sensor...
I dont know what the hell to do with this thing.
Anyone wanna buy a broken 12sec mustang?