4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Suspension for handling

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 03:32 PM
jasondd23

Default Suspension for handling

What is the best suspension set up for a 99-04 GT for something other than going in a straight line? I like driving in the Mountains and want something that will hold a turn well.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I know plenty about sport bikes but not much about Mustangs....
Old 08-12-2009, 03:36 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

IBjazzerthecat

Well, look into getting some decent upper/lower control arms, stiffer sway bars, caster/camber plates, strut tower bar, nice struts/shocks and a coil-over conversion kit. If you really wanna spend some $$ then you could go tubular K-member up front with tubular control arms.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:40 PM
jasondd23

wow Thanks! Any brands to stay away from?
Old 08-12-2009, 03:42 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

Could find the IRS out of the 03-04 cobra's (decent prices on ebay) and polyurethane bushings for the rear with springs, then springs/shocks or tubular K w/A arms with coils for the front, sway bars dont hurt much either. Believe it or not, I would recommend frame connectors also, they stiffen up the chassis greatly and help with handling.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

IBwhitefoxgt

See Jazzer The Cat's Official Suspension Guide.... He is really neato and the suspension guy around here. Boy, he also has the fattest, bad-boy Saleen I have ever seen, a really cool guy and hoping just to go out and have a Guinness with him some day. Jazzer is the bestest!

As for sway-bars, this is really the last thing you should be after on suspension, as it is really a tuning device. There are some fundamental differences between LCA's/UCA's as it relates to improving the twisty experience.

Your ultimate goal should be considered here, as you can go a couple different directions and bummer to replace parts twice. A good set of FLSFC's is the best place to start and then some decisions need to be made.

Jazzer
Old 08-12-2009, 05:34 PM
jasondd23

I just clicked the "Jazzer The Cat's Official Suspension Guide" and WOW! That is a lot of info, I will have to print that out and grab a beer after work. I am assuming FLSFC's are sub frame connectors, right? I love the avatar btw and there is no better beer than Guinness... :cheers
Old 08-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

jason and Jazzer.... < Guinness

Yes, on your analysis and there is a legend within my post for all those different terms.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:24 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

I would say Eric's thread has quite a bit of useful information, I would like to add that there are a few things that you may want to consider. The stock GT brakes are horrendous, they should be looked into as they do not do a whole lot to stop the heavy sn95. Second thing would be, if you ever think about competing in the future, consider what is legal and illegal for the class you would like to run in. With suspension mods, it is always better to do it in waves as you will gain a better appreciation for what each mod does. IF money is not an issue, I would recommend in order FLSFC's, swapping front brakes for the oem 2pot calipers or better + steel braided lines and dot4+ fluid, a set of good tires, a set of c/o's either from griggs or mm, chucking the stock 4 link rear, tubular k/offset a-arms (more street friendly) or SLA setup if you're serious about tracking the car, a light set of rims and good tires, and lastly adjustable sways to tune over/understeer as needed.

There are only 2 companies I would ever really trust with my suspension parts and that is MM or Griggs, I currently have almost the whole MM max grip package, I'm a college student so Griggs is completely out of the question lols.=P

Anyways, have fun and be safe.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:52 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

Dumb question time. I've looked at various pictures on the internet and I must be missing something. They all look to be about the same length to me. I have Edlebrock subframe connectors. How do I tell if they are full length or not?
Old 08-13-2009, 11:26 AM
jasondd23

I will look a little closer at the guide tonight while drinking a budget induced Amber Bock and Aereon thanks for the reminder on the brakes. Somehow they slipped my mind....
I'm not much in to Drag Racing myself so I may be going against the grain but I think the Mustang has potential to carve some corners.

Quick Reply: Suspension for handling