4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Shaker scoops

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 12:23 PM
lexy
3rd Gear Member

Default Shaker scoops

i want to spend 1200 bucks on installing a shaker scoop but before that i need to know if those things do alot on a 2000 GT meang horsepower wise. For example the only mod on the mustang is cat back exhaust. please let me know before i spend a fortune
Old 07-08-2005, 12:25 PM
DaMach04
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Shaker scoops

WEll i dont know about what it will do for your GT but i have a Mach1 and it comes w/ the scoop. I would deff. recomend it. It helps the car breathe better...consider it a ram air.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:41 PM
The Great Cornholio
I ♥ Acer

It isn't going to add much, if any horsepower. At high speeds it would bring in more outside air which should slightly improve your performance, but it would not likely be enough to measure. You can get a lot more performance out of $1200 by buying a midpipe, rear gears, and a flash tuner.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:49 PM
ahollings52
1st Gear Member

i've read advertised gains of up to seven horsepower

really neat looking, but ultimately inneffective
Old 07-08-2005, 12:51 PM
langod
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lexy

i want to spend 1200 bucks on installing a shaker scoop but before that i need to know if those things do alot on a 2000 GT meang horsepower wise. For example the only mod on the mustang is cat back exhaust. please let me know before i spend a fortune
No, they don't do anything to speak of. There are two problems: One is that the way the hood is shaped it sends the airflow mostly OVER the shaker scoop. (As opposed to the 60's Mustangs that had pretty much flat hoods) and the second (related) is that the scoop doesn't stick up far enough to scoop the air. Even on the new Mach 1's the "experts" are saying that it MIGHT add 3 or 4 horsepower -- the majority of the Mach 1's increase in hp is the difference in engine design compared to the GT.

If you want it for looks, fine. But if you're looking for $1200 worth of power increase, get a CAI and plenum, gears, headers, H or X pipe, etc.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:09 PM
lexy
3rd Gear Member

that does make sence then forget the scoop because people told me that it would gain like 15 or more hp, thanks guys!!! speaking of 4.10 rear end how much miles a gallon am i looking at? and what would be the top end speed?
Old 07-08-2005, 01:26 PM
ahollings52
1st Gear Member

hehe feel free to search the plethora of other threads where everyone argues about those very questions lord knows there are plenty!
Old 07-08-2005, 01:35 PM
jchittick
3rd Gear Member

that does make sence then forget the scoop because people told me that it would gain like 15 or more hp, thanks guys!!! speaking of 4.10 rear end how much miles a gallon am i looking at? and what would be the top end speed?
hehe feel free to search the plethora of other threads where everyone argues about those very questions lord knows there are plenty!
That also, plenty of gear threads. You won't be gaining much on the shaker scoop, unless at highway speeds or more. $1200 could be spent a lot better. Also, your miles per gallon will change minimally if you shift at the same points with the new gears. With that said, once you get new gears, you are going to want to get on it because of the improved acceleration.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:46 PM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

ram air idea in general only works at high speeds but honestly, there isn't any actual compression occuring at any drivable speeds so it's not really anything more than a neat cold air intake.

Without going into detail, the only way for a true ram air to work in theory would be a small opening in the front which leads to a larger chamber where, when air enters, it's hard to get back out because the force from the incoming air through the small opening keeps pushing back and forceing more in, to create decent enough pressure (like a couple psi) that the air inside the chamber is at higher density than atmospheric pressure would require tremendous speeds, especially considering that the engine on the other end is sucking it through at a pretty regular rate.

In counclusion, what you want is a cold air intake or, for real horsepower, a supercharger or turbocharger.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:32 PM
ahollings52
1st Gear Member

[sm=icon_ladiesman.gif][sm=youreright.gif]

great post!

Quick Reply: Shaker scoops