4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Squeaking when powering down

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 06:07 AM
memorysan

Default Squeaking when powering down

O.K., so I have been busy this past weekend. I did a few other things to the car in the process, but the biggest job was replacing the intake manifold.

It took a whole day for me to get it out and another whole day for me to get the new one back in and everything else put back together.

I would say that the main reason it took me so long is because the biggest project I had ever done before under the hood of a car is to replace the alternator on a Ford Explorer years ago so I don't have much experience.

Anyway, when I first tried it afterwords, it wouldn't turn over and I figured out that one of the fuel injectors wasn't seated right. After fixing that, it was a little sluggish cranking the first time, but it did turn over and idle. I tried it again and it cranked up and idled perfectly. WOOHOO!!!

I did notice there was steam coming from under the hood as well (not a lot)...I'm hoping this is just the engine burning off the fuel that leaked out and some coolant that I spilled when filling it back up. I'm going to let it sit over night and check again tomorrow to see if it is still steaming before I drive it.

Then I went to turn it off, and it let out a loud squeak as it powered down. I am guessing this is a release of air pressure from somewhere but I can't find a hose that isn't put back on properly.

Is this what you would guess the problem to be, or could something else cause a squeaking sound as the engine powers down?

By the way, here is the reason I replaced the intake manifold...I hear Ford is famous for this happening to cars around the year mine was made.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:47 AM
memorysan

Should I try zip tying the air hoses that don't have brackets holding them in place?