4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need Suggestions: 02 GT Auto/ want to make it badass!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 06:50 PM
stoopiddub333

Default Need Suggestions: 02 GT Auto/ want to make it badass!

Yeah, I have been looking to do alot of stuff to my car for a while, but with my stang being an automatic, people are hesitant to give me advise because most of them have the manual transmission. another minus is that my mom bought me the car (well thats a plus) and i cant modify the engine other wise i void my waranty, which she insists i keep; Most i could do with that is the performance chip, i also need suggestions on what kind to get... Any help would be a tremendous help (Also info on detailing and body work)

Thanks alot!
Old 07-10-2005, 10:01 PM
Cody 96gt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Need Suggestions: 02 GT Auto/ want to make it badass!

put a saleen or a roush body kit on it and some sweet rims
Old 07-10-2005, 11:44 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Performance chip will void your warranty and it'll hurt your performance especially on a stock car like yours.

Tell your Mom to read the back of the owners manual. She will read about the special little act set forth that doesn't allow manufacturers to void your warranty unless the aftermarket parts YOU installed SPECIFICALLY caused or LEAD to the failure.

IE: K&N filter oil gums up your MAF, causes the engine to blow up
This won't be covered under warranty

IE: You installed a set of headers, 3 months later your engine pops
Your engine will be covered under warranty, your headers cannot be blame for an engine failure

Since that is out of the way, I hope you have a job. Modifying 4.6's isn't cheap and the modifications will not get you a large amount of HP unless you plan on using forced induction. That's what 2v heads and 281 cubic inches will limit you to unfortunately. Now, we all know HP doesn't mean everything. You can have 270-280RWHP with sticky tires and suspension work with a little weight reduction and you will see 12's with just a few bolt-ons.

You have an automatic, which means you have 2.73 gears and that should be your very first modification, although it's pricey. You should pick up a set of 3.90/4.10/4.30 gears. Also, to fix your speedometer you will need a handheld tuner since a Speedocalibrator will NOT work on your automatic. These tuners cost anywhere from $350-400 brand new. You can usually find one on the forums here or on ebay for $200 and some change used. Gears will run you about $130-200 depending on which brand, if you want ease of install go with Ford racing gears, if you want to save a buck, go with Motive's. I have Motive gears, backlash is set per directions and they love to whine, not loud at all. I've never had a passenger notice them whining. You NEED to buy a master bearing kit, any decent mechanic will refuse to do the install without one, these will run around $80 bucks. Installation of the gears + bearings will run you anywhere from $200-500.

I paid $120 for my install from a speed shop in town. I doubt many people without mechanic friends can get an install for that price, so don't be surprised if you can't get it done for that. Gears will give you the best bang for your buck, no added HP but you will accellerate extremely fast.

You can do your exhaust. Headers will run anywhere from $350-800 depending on which brand you use. I'm not familiar with what long tubes fit an automatic though, hopefully another member will know and post it. A mid-pipe is a must do as you have 4 catalytic converters stock, you can get a catless H or X pipe from our site sponsors from $130-200 bucks. If you purchase the handheld tuner you won't need MIL eliminators, as you can turn off your O2 sensors with it. For catbacks, the favorites are Flowmaster, Magnaflow & SLP. You'll spend anywhere from $360-400 for a cat-back system.

That's enough for now right?
Old 07-10-2005, 11:57 PM
03GTType
5th Gear Member

Wow Dan nice post.. he hit this perfect, listen to what hes telling you and you'll do great..
Old 07-11-2005, 12:03 AM
maddash
1st Gear Member

I have an 04 auto and thought it came with 3.27 gears. Am I wrong?
Old 07-11-2005, 12:13 AM
Viridian
2nd Gear Member

My '02 GT auto had 3.27s in it. I swapped them out for 4.10s. I definitely recommend it.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:13 AM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

ORIGINAL: maddash

I have an 04 auto and thought it came with 3.27 gears. Am I wrong?
Autos and 5-speeds come with 3.27's.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:24 AM
maddash
1st Gear Member

You have an automatic, which means you have 2.73
I sort of thought it has 3.27's, but thought dan my be right and that would explain why my gt is so slow. But I guess now its just slow lol
Old 07-11-2005, 12:29 AM
Fat Nick
I ♥ Acer

No it's 3.27's I have no idea where he gets 2.73's from.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:59 AM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

What dan said. lol. Theres alot of mods you can do. But if you want your car really "badass" then you might want to throw the warranty right out the window, and go with a supercharger. With those other mods and a supercharger you should dip into the 11's. Check what you are doing though because some mods if not installed correctly can cause bigger problems and it will not be covered. Think of it like this, your car was made the way it was for a reason, when you start to mod, your car will never be the same again. Now, you can take that for the better or for the worse. Good luck with your project!

Quick Reply: Need Suggestions: 02 GT Auto/ want to make it badass!