4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Misfire #7 again, again, and again...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 12:29 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Default Misfire #7 again, again, and again...

So I'm down right irritated. I've changed my all my boots and bought a new coil pack to put in place just in case a pack is weak, mostly for testing purposes. (Easier than using a DMM)

#7 Cylinder is still throwing a misfire for apparently no reason and just to **** me off.

No other codes, I've changed that plug a couple times at different gaps just kicks with the same results.

It is erratic and not constant. I have NOT done a compression test. It is a 03 GT with 70k miles.

I have added an O/R H pipe, a tune and suspension mods; everything else is stock.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:06 PM
reznap
2nd Gear Member

I would get out your multimeter and ohm out the wiring harness, inspect it carefully - maybe run or splice in new wiring to that coil to see if you can get it to stop missing.

Sorry if you've already tried that, I haven't been following the tech threads closely enough.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:32 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

did you try swapping the injector?
Old 09-15-2009, 02:49 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by reznap
I would get out your multimeter and ohm out the wiring harness, inspect it carefully - maybe run or splice in new wiring to that coil to see if you can get it to stop missing.

Sorry if you've already tried that, I haven't been following the tech threads closely enough.
Despite some common belief correctly testing a COP is harder than just touching tips. Most DMM's can't even actually do it.

Originally Posted by Brute03
did you try swapping the injector?
Yes, I have. That was my first idea.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:13 PM
GFGweedo

Do a compression test, do a leak down test. They're cheap. You can buy a compression tester for next to nothing. Test dry and wet compression.

Use an oscilloscope if it tests well. You can test ur plug wires resistance but that usually doesn't tell u ****. Remember throwing parts at it can create other problems. This may make life hard for you. I would check compression and leak down first. Then check your firing line. Maybe you have some carbon in that cylinder. You could try some seafoam it might clean it. But before you do that at least try to give it a proper diagnosis. GL bud, hope this helps.

FYI Compression tester is cheap as hell. Cheaper than all those parts you bought. You might as well buy a nice leak down too if you have an air compressor.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:14 PM
GFGweedo

Oh and dont forget to check your voltages going to your primaries.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GFGweedo
Do a compression test, do a leak down test. They're cheap. You can buy a compression tester for next to nothing. Test dry and wet compression.

Use an oscilloscope if it tests well. You can test ur plug wires resistance but that usually doesn't tell u ****. Remember throwing parts at it can create other problems. This may make life hard for you. I would check compression and leak down first. Then check your firing line. Maybe you have some carbon in that cylinder. You could try some seafoam it might clean it. But before you do that at least try to give it a proper diagnosis. GL bud, hope this helps.

FYI Compression tester is cheap as hell. Cheaper than all those parts you bought. You might as well buy a nice leak down too if you have an air compressor.
Oh and dont forget to check your voltages going to your primaries.

I have everything to do a compression/leak down, I just haven't gotten to it yet. Seafoam, lol. That stuff will never go near anything I own. It's snake oil. I didn't think to check primary voltage.

I'm starting to think It's going to be compression. I'll let everyone know tomorrow when I get to it.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:32 PM
GFGweedo

Originally Posted by sxynerd
I have everything to do a compression/leak down, I just haven't gotten to it yet. Seafoam, lol. That stuff will never go near anything I own. It's snake oil. I didn't think to check primary voltage.

I'm starting to think It's going to be compression. I'll let everyone know tomorrow when I get to it.
Snake oil?
Old 09-15-2009, 08:48 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Snake oil?

Snake Oil, stuff that claims to be miracle cures like hair tonic being sold by gypsies. lol
Old 09-15-2009, 09:04 PM
mustangman03
3rd Gear Member

get a noid light and check the pulse of the injector and make sure its firing and you can also check the coil circuit like that also

Quick Reply: Misfire #7 again, again, and again...