4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

lca's or grind the fenders?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 07:57 AM
grogan
3rd Gear Member

Default lca's or grind the fenders?

i just installed a set of 275/60/15 on the rear of my car and when i gun it to take off, it sits on the fenders.

whats your input on buying lca's (which brands good to buy, not good to buy,etc)

or just save the money and cut the fender lip out? im only hitting the lip by about a half inch
Old 09-20-2009, 08:48 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

What do u have for suspension? And what size rim and bs?
Old 09-20-2009, 08:52 AM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

thats super ****ty....hope i dont have this issue with my 275/60/15s

before cutting the lips, i would try rolling them
Old 09-20-2009, 09:10 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by grogan
i just installed a set of 275/60/15 on the rear of my car and when i gun it to take off, it sits on the fenders.

whats your input on buying lca's (which brands good to buy, not good to buy,etc)

or just save the money and cut the fender lip out? im only hitting the lip by about a half inch
What springs you running?
Old 09-20-2009, 10:19 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ exactly..

New LCA's are not going to limit squat, you are in need of additional clearance (too low now) or stiffer springs so you don't bottom out. With that said, you should NEVER hit any part of the car with tires reguardless of how hard you push your ride. If you are hitting fenders, you need to roll them as 99 said.

Jazzer
Old 09-20-2009, 10:22 AM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

i have sportlines in the rear with 275/60/15s, fenders are rolled...jazzer, do you think i should switch to stock springs? i cant exactly go launch my car to test it out lol

with stock springs, how much would i be able to cut off before rubbing the tires?

/threadjack
Old 09-20-2009, 10:52 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

I'd take stock springs with good shocks and control arms over lowering progressives any day of the week. My wifes car launches like a rocket with hers. (I was impressed for maybe 230rw.)
Old 09-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ I cannot tell you how much you would need to roll fenders as there are too many variables. I do know that Sportlines tend to be an aggressive drop and will likely bottom out on bump stops on hard launch. I am not a drag guy, but seems to me the sudden bottoming out would be a bad thing on the 1/4 mile.

As I said before, you should NEVER rub the tires reguardless of spring/tire/wheel combo. If you do, something is wrong and needs to be addressed. You will hopefully not hit the bump stops often, but 'tis the only thing you should ever hit on suspension.

Jazzer
Old 09-20-2009, 11:04 AM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

Would adjustable LCA's help? That way he could lift the back of the car up to give that extra clearance.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:15 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

I wasn't saying "should" go with stock springs, just that i'd rather have stock springs over a progressive drop spring for racing.

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
^ I cannot tell you how much you would need to roll fenders as there are too many variables. I do know that Sportlines tend to be an aggressive drop and will likely bottom out on bump stops on hard launch. I am not a drag guy, but seems to me the sudden bottoming out would be a bad thing on the 1/4 mile.

As I said before, you should NEVER rub the tires reguardless of spring/tire/wheel combo. If you do, something is wrong and needs to be addressed. You will hopefully not hit the bump stops often, but 'tis the only thing you should ever hit on suspension.

Jazzer

Quick Reply: lca's or grind the fenders?