4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

96 Mustang motor blew many ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 11:08 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

There are two main classes to the 2v engine in mustangs, windsor and romeo. Your car is a RomeoNPI (96-98) then there were Windor-PI (99-mid 01) and then Romeo-PI (Mid 01-04)

I did the exact swap you're refering to. I replaced my 96 engine with a 99 engine. Other than that almost everything is the same. Most engines that i'll seen used came with the flywheel still on the crank. 10.5" vs 11" clutch

There's a few things that are different:
  • You'll need to cut the wire to the oil level sensor (you don't need it anyway)
  • the plug on the Alternator is different on the 99 (you can buy it at ford or at autozone or reuse you 96 alternator)
  • you'll need to reuse the stock wiring harness/ECU
Old 10-05-2009, 11:59 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

i love cop ignition. less messy wiring around the engine bay and sparks the fuel great. yea youll have to swap the ecu and harness but thats not a big deal really when you already have everything apart
Old 10-06-2009, 12:39 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Frostbitten
i love cop ignition. less messy wiring around the engine bay and sparks the fuel great. yea youll have to swap the ecu and harness but thats not a big deal really when you already have everything apart
Oh yeah, what is he supposed to do about the lock cylinder and his pats coded fob? You don't know what you're talking about. Don't confuse him.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Black96GT415

does anyone know where there is a write up on the exact whole swap? or Sxynerd could you email or PM me with the whole process, as to what I need to change, that way I don't have to piece together threads?
Old 10-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

It's honestly just as easy as I've already said. Not much more to it. Jut pretend that you are replacing your bad engine with one of the same year.

If you get a 99-01 buy a clutch for that year. All your wiring will be the same except that Alternator plug which doesn't really matter if you use the 96 Alt.

When you pull your engine you'll see a wire leading into the drivers side of the oil pan, just cut it and tape it off.

There is one thing that will give you a small issue. 96 has TWO temp sensors. 99+ has 1. The drivers side is for your gauge, the passenger side is for your ECU/Fan.

If the 99+ engine has an aluminum water crossover all you'll need to do is Drill and tap the crossover w/ a 5/8 tap.

If the new engine has a plastic crossover then you'll need to get creative. I originally placed mine inline with the heater core. Some people weld a bung onto the T-stat housing and some people cut the Top radiator hose and put in a metal section with a bung. Just cut the wires, and lengthen them as needed.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

you dont know what your talking about. that wire from the oil pan area is the main engine block ground. your telling him to cut it and even tape it for crying out loud. Dont jerry rig anything having to do with the motor or youll have issues down the road, i know that much
Old 10-07-2009, 05:18 AM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

LOL, the main ground is on the block not the oil pan. I've got that very same wire cut with no issues.

Last edited by Chris98Gt; 10-07-2009 at 05:20 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Frostbitten
you dont know what your talking about. that wire from the oil pan area is the main engine block ground. your telling him to cut it and even tape it for crying out loud. Dont jerry rig anything having to do with the motor or youll have issues down the road, i know that much

You're telling me I don't know what I'm talking about?? LOL You must have lost your mind. Do you want to tell me why ford would make a 23awg ground wire with a oil level sensor at the end of it, lol. Go back to school jr.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:56 PM
kenv
4th Gear Member

I`d Listen to SXYNERD. This guy actualy knows what he is talking about!
Old 10-16-2009, 01:19 AM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chris98Gt
why switch to cop setup when his coil packs are just fine?
Hey op, I forgot to mention that you'll want to swap your fuel rails also since the 01 is a returnless system and yours is return style.
I have a 96gt and I'm just about ready to swap that with a 04gt engine. Will I have to swap out the fuel rails?

Originally Posted by sxynerd
DO NOT switch over to COP. The 96 ecu wont be able to send a signal to them and a new ECU wont work because of the PATS. (Passive Anti Theft system)

With a 99 you WILL need to buy a new clutch. Either alternator will work.
I bought a clutch for my t-45 but I was told to swap the non PI alternator with the 04 gt's one. True?

Quick Reply: 96 Mustang motor blew many ?'s