4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Not using all the boost I have............ :(

Old 10-25-2009, 11:05 AM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by vanquish
What do you mean? How are stock heads a "problem"? If anything he would be seeing less boost with aftermarket cylinder heads. I'm sure procharger doesn't assume everyone has aftermarket heads when they claim some kind of baseline estimate in boost for whatever kit they make. In fact, I bet procharger, vortech, KB, etc. state the psi of their kit based on a stock car.

I have a supposed 10 psi pulley (3.33") on my car and I see 10 psi with a Vortech aftercooler.

If I had longtubes, aftermarket heads, aftermarket camshafts, and/or a conventional intercooler I absolutely wouldn't see 10 psi.

I shouldn't have said "lost" boost before I understand that it really isn't lost just easy to say in conversation.
So basically am I seeing the same amount of power that I would get on 10lbs just on less boost because my car is more efficient?
Old 10-25-2009, 11:14 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

I'm starting to think you don't know how to read, lol.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:43 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

What do you mean? How are stock heads a "problem"? If anything he would be seeing less boost with aftermarket cylinder heads. YOU'RE KIDDING ME RIGHT!!!I'm sure procharger doesn't assume everyone has aftermarket heads when they claim some kind of baseline estimate in boost for whatever kit they make. In fact, I bet procharger, vortech, KB, etc. state the psi of their kit based on a stock car.I'D BE WILLING TO TAKE THAT BET!!

I have a supposed 10 psi pulley (3.33") on my car and I see 10 psi with a Vortech aftercooler.

If I had longtubes, aftermarket heads, aftermarket camshafts, and/or a conventional intercooler I absolutely wouldn't see 10 psi. PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW YOU FIGURE THAT ONE

I shouldn't have said "lost" boost before I understand that it really isn't lost just easy to say in conversation.
Boost, regardless of how it's made, can only "flow" as well as the induction system of an engine will allow it to. Meaning, as sxynerd has already given a great example, if anywhere in the intake system is restricted, for w/e reason, the flow will be reduced. Stock heads are a huge restriction for a boosted application. Aleviating that restriction means added flow, which inturn means added boost, not less.

In a nutshell, if an engine can't breath, it can't make boost. It's just that simple.

Originally Posted by sxynerd
I'm starting to think ing that rknow how to read, lol.
You have more patience than I.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:00 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PRO50SC
Boost, regardless of how it's made, can only "flow" as well as the induction system of an engine will allow it to. Meaning, as sxynerd has already given a great example, if anywhere in the intake system is restricted, for w/e reason, the flow will be reduced. Stock heads are a huge restriction for a boosted application. Aleviating that restriction means added flow, which inturn means added boost, not less.

In a nutshell, if an engine can't breath, it can't make boost. It's just that simple.

To the OP,

Sticking with my analogy, Think of his phrase "system is restricted" and apply it to that Freeway. That 5 lane fwy has a period of construction for 1 mile and goes down to 2 lanes again. Although all the FWY is 5 lanes at that "Bottle necked 1 mile" (Stock heads) it still a place of restriction which takes the commute back up to 1 hour.

BUT, in your case with your low boost level, (Yes 10lbs is considered low) the heads aren't restricting that much. Your system is just running slightly more efficient with the LT's. If you add Ported head AND larger valves without increasing the blower air volume, your boost will go down again... But still moving that same 10,000 cars while still more decreasing the time to work.

Last edited by Sxynerd; 10-25-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:26 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PRO50SC
Aleviating that restriction means added flow, which inturn means added boost, not less.

This is all wrong.

Correctly,

"Aleviating that restriction means added flow, which inturn means [LESS] boost, not [MORE]."

Last edited by vanquish; 10-25-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:56 PM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

This is all wrong.

Correctly,

"Aleviating that restriction means added flow, which inturn means [LESS] boost, not [MORE]."
Right now I'm making 350HP and 383TQ to the wheels. Is it safe for me to change the pulley to say a 12lb as long as I don't go over 400HP/TQ since I don't have forged internals?
Old 10-25-2009, 06:05 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kongdong
Right now I'm making 350HP and 383TQ to the wheels. Is it safe for me to change the pulley to say a 12lb as long as I don't go over 400HP/TQ since I don't have forged internals?
Yes you could what are your other mods??
Old 10-25-2009, 06:18 PM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang_NTriangle
Yes you could what are your other mods??
LT headers, high flow X-pipe. and borla mufflers
Old 10-26-2009, 08:14 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kongdong
For a while I thought this was going on your pushrod 302. I had to search through your old posts to find out what kind of car you have. Please update your garage.

Are you sure that you have a 10 lb pulley? What are your reference rpms for the 7-8 lbs of boost? 350 rwhp (manual transmission) is normal for the ProCharger stock pulley (8 lbs of boost). I'm running the same supercharger with an 8 lbs pulley through the same exhaust (BBK LTs & catted x-pipe). I do have a new crank pulley that might alter things a bit. I get 8.9 psi at 6000 rpms. I was expecting the pressure to be lower when I put on the LTs but it wasn't. I think I'm still getting restriction through the catted x-pipe.

Just a thought: You're not running an underdrive crank pulley are you? The previous owner put one on my car. That's why I had to get a new crank pulley when the supercharger was installed.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:17 PM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Eagle2000GT
For a while I thought this was going on your pushrod 302. I had to search through your old posts to find out what kind of car you have. Please update your garage.

Are you sure that you have a 10 lb pulley? What are your reference rpms for the 7-8 lbs of boost? 350 rwhp (manual transmission) is normal for the ProCharger stock pulley (8 lbs of boost). I'm running the same supercharger with an 8 lbs pulley through the same exhaust (BBK LTs & catted x-pipe). I do have a new crank pulley that might alter things a bit. I get 8.9 psi at 6000 rpms. I was expecting the pressure to be lower when I put on the LTs but it wasn't. I think I'm still getting restriction through the catted x-pipe.

Just a thought: You're not running an underdrive crank pulley are you? The previous owner put one on my car. That's why I had to get a new crank pulley when the supercharger was installed.
I got the stage 2 kit and on the paper it said that it came with a 10lb pulley. When I was getting it dynoed at Mustang Specialties the guy was telling me that I was loosing boost more then likely from my LT's but as long as I'm making the same amount of power then it doesn't matter to me. Power is power.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Not using all the boost I have............ :(