4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Changing Differential Gears - Need No B.S. Answer

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 09:38 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Capt Hair
I say get a set of 3.73s, most people on here will say 4.10s or GTFO but i think the 3.73s would be perfect for your needs and lifestyle. And realistically like you said your driving 3 miles both ways so yea, fuel economy isn't too big of a deal. When I had 3.73s in my GT I only loss 1mpg thats it. And if you don't kill it or slam on the gas, your not going to notice a huge difference in mileage. Just drive normally and you don't have to worry about it.
I have a suspicion that the car gets driven a lot more than 3 miles per day though.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:40 AM
OlGeezer

Originally Posted by RogerDodger1
I have a suspicion that the car gets driven a lot more than 3 miles per day though.
I do. A normal month is about 600-800 miles. Of course, that's when I had a (boring) Camry. I'm finding out the fun of forgetting about fuel mileage and leaning into the gas pedal. I have not experienced this kind of joy in 20 years (when I had a Corvette).

However, I do have 140k miles on my 2002 motorcycle.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:56 AM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

please do nto listen to rogerdodger....he is showing how little he knows about this subject...while in theory, everything he is saying makes sense, it is not true enough to be a swaying factor...

if your commute it 1.5 miles, i doubt youre on the highway, which means with 4.10s your mpg may actually increase (assuming you dont drive the car any harder, which im assuming you will since its more fun)...on the highway, you may lose 1-2mpg, if that....far from a "big nose dive"

as for wear on the engine, spinning an extra 300rpm at highway speed isnt going to harm the engine one bit...do your maintenance on time, and you will never knwo the difference....i normally dont even jump in these threads because they have been covered thousands of times...but i dont want you making a poor decision because one inexperiences member jumped in with some bad advice

as for fixing the speedometer...you have 3 options

tune the car with a handheld or the sniper program....you can order a tuner here and it will come preloaded with a tune to fix your gears...when you fill out the form to order it, it will ask gear ratio and what octane you want etc etc...93 tune will bump timing and give more HP...i would stick with SCT programming...diablosport is known to have many problems, and my friend has one in his superduty and hates it...its being removed for an sct soon.....sniper is good tuning software also, but is a little more advanced
http://www.americanmuscle.com/sct-x3...ash-tuner.html

another option is a speedcal, its the cheapest route
http://www.americanmuscle.com/speed-...tor-94-04.html

or find a performance shop in your area that does custom tuning, they will usually charge around 500 for a custom dyno tune and it would fix the speedo and give more power than the other 2 options

it all just depends on your personal fiances and goals for the car

as for the gear install, i would take it to a performance shop with a good reputation....nothing is worse than poorly installed gears, they whine like crazy.....you may even find a good deal if you get a shop that can install the gears and provide you with a custom tune....while you are installing the gears, i would spend a little extra and get a bearing kit also....really, this is a good option

http://www.americanmuscle.com/speedc...r-oil-kit.html
http://www.americanmuscle.com/rearendrebuild.html

those two together is everything you would need to do it right and keep the cost down.... if youre looking for a custom tune, then that kit is a waste because it comes with the speedcal....but for your power levels, you wont see too much gain from a custom tune anyways... i would suggest those 2 links i listed above

3.73 vs 4.10 is berated forever..... people say 3.73 if you do any highway driving, but ive seen cars with 4.10 do plenty of HW...i have 3.73s in my car, but my hp goals are much higher than the average gt, so they work out a little bit better for me....for your car, i would say get 4.10s and you will love them

Last edited by 99BlackPonyGT; 11-08-2009 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:46 AM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

99BlackPonyGT;6622648]please do nto listen to rogerdodger....he is showing how little he knows about this subject...while in theory, everything he is saying makes sense, it is not true enough to be a swaying factor...
Thanks for the flame. Golly, after 25 years in the automotive repair business, S.C.C.A. racing, certifications out the ying-yang, etc., I guess I don't know crap. lol

if your commute it 1.5 miles, i doubt youre on the highway, which means with 4.10s your mpg may actually increase (assuming you dont drive the car any harder, which im assuming you will since its more fun)...on the highway, you may lose 1-2mpg, if that....far from a "big nose dive"
You know this...how? Ford engineers don't agree.

as for wear on the engine, spinning an extra 300rpm at highway speed isnt going to harm the engine one bit...do your maintenance on time, and you will never knwo the difference....i normally dont even jump in these threads because they have been covered thousands of times...but i dont want you making a poor decision because one inexperiences member jumped in with some bad advice
Oh really? 25 years of being employed in the automotive repair industry is, "inexperienced"? Do tell?

300 RPM's more isn't any difference? Really? That's not what my calculator reveals. 300 more RPM's per minute X 60 minutes = 18,000 more revolutions of the engine per hour. In 24 hours that's 432,000 more revolutions of the engine. In just 6 days that's 2,592,000 more revolutions of the engine! That's MILLION! In a year, that would number would increase to the stratosphere. That's hardly insignificant. Talk about, "bad advice".
Old 11-08-2009, 12:26 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Originally Posted by RogerDodger1
Thanks for the flame. Golly, after 25 years in the automotive repair business, S.C.C.A. racing, certifications out the ying-yang, etc., I guess I don't know crap. lol

You know this...how? Ford engineers don't agree.

Oh really? 25 years of being employed in the automotive repair industry is, "inexperienced"? Do tell?

300 RPM's more isn't any difference? Really? That's not what my calculator reveals. 300 more RPM's per minute X 60 minutes = 18,000 more revolutions of the engine per hour. In 24 hours that's 432,000 more revolutions of the engine. In just 6 days that's 2,592,000 more revolutions of the engine! That's MILLION! In a year, that would number would increase to the stratosphere. That's hardly insignificant. Talk about, "bad advice".
Dude, STFU already. Who gives a shyt what you're certified in. It doesn't mean you know everything/anything. All it means is you can pass a test. BFD!!! I have just as much time in the auto repair industry, state inspector, ASE certified, blah blah blah as you but you don't see me bragging about it on the internet. Just go away already and find a new site to harass.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:31 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

I'm sorry Rogerdodger you are way over thinking this. Is your math right probably but way to much thinking. 300 more RPM on a overhead cam motor is nothing don't bring your pushrod/1960's mentality in here and say that gears are bad on the engine when it just isn't true. It has been my experience that the most ignorant car people about modifying a car are either Dealer or Shop tech's
Old 11-08-2009, 06:37 PM
OlGeezer

Originally Posted by PRO50SC
Dude, STFU already.
Wow. I didn't know I had to submit a resume before joining this forum. Maybe I'm in the wrong place, but I was looking for good opinions from all the sources.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:45 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

You don't have to submit a resume it's just that Rodgerdodger is overthinking everything he is telling you about gears and gas mileage (like BraMas was saying in his last post). Changing gears in your car isn't going to hurt your motor and your gas mileage isn't going to "take a nose dive." It is good to have another point of view in the discussion but he was almost misinforming you about changing gears. Don't be afraid to do gears now or later as most everyone on this forum say gears are the one thing that "woke" up their Mustang.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:51 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by OlGeezer
Wow. I didn't know I had to submit a resume before joining this forum. Maybe I'm in the wrong place, but I was looking for good opinions from all the sources.
He wasn't talking to you He was talking to RogerDodger1
Old 11-08-2009, 11:33 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Originally Posted by OlGeezer
You are def not in the wrong place. There is a great deal of good info to be had here. However, you do need to know where to find the correct info. Roger rabbit is NOT one of them. He constantly is pointing out the negatives of owning and modifying a car. Check out his profile and read his posts. You'll see what I mean. I'd be willing to bet know one here bought their mustang based on the great gas mileage it provides. I run 4.10's in my car, yeah it has slowly crossed the line from street car to drag car, but it doesn't stop me from driving it long distance to make a car show/event. If your car is mostly stock, you will not see too much variance in gas mileage.

When I first bought my car, it had 3.55's in it. A few years later I decided to put some 3.73's in it and as I modified it more I finally went w/ 4.10's. If you're not looking for anything more than a decent gear for a lil fun, 3.73's are a great gear for that.

Good luck w/ your choice, keep us posted on what you decide.

Quick Reply: Changing Differential Gears - Need No B.S. Answer