4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Basic Mods for your 96-04 GT/Mach 1

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 12:15 PM
theblkstang99

Default RE: TECH: Basic Mods for your 96-04 GT

i bought a set of BBK underdrive pulleys which will be arriving today are those piggyback style or are those ok to put on..im real hesitant because i dont want to cause any problems...
Old 10-05-2005, 09:14 PM
Stanger7786

Default RE: Basic Mods for your 96-04 GT/Mach 1

Hey, so far i have done little mods to my car nothing big. Mods include: 3:73 gears, bassani long tube hueaders and x pipe no cats with flow master mufflers, 75mm throttle body, k&n intake, hypertech programmer, and hurst short throw. Alota people dont like the short throw because its different but much better and fast shifting.

Wondering if anyone used a programmer, i installled my own but i didnt notice a difference i dont think, wondering if i installed it wrong. And was hypertech a good choice? if not what is?

More mods to come but i recently decided to buy a bike(honda cbr 600), mods will continue prolly in the summer.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:36 PM
hunter9s
1st Gear Member

You and I are on the same page with some upgrades I want to do over the winter. Already did IAT chip and actually it works well. I am a retired plumber so i made my own cold air intake with k&n. I had a turbonator laying around I took off of an SHO. new flow master exhaust is done. I did put new tires on it, the ones on it were junk. Now here comes the questions. I have a 2002 gt and I am thinking of putting on a throddle body / plenium 75mm. It looks easy enough to install but I have a few ? Is a trickflow 75mm a good choice. The size is the question. Is the 75mm a good choice? What size is stock. After this is installed does it have to be retuned?

Next is the Steeda tri axle. I have 5 speed manual now .. what do you think of the steeda? I see on the instructions they say to drain the tranny fluid and replace it. Why do you have to change the fluid? Does it just make it easier or what? My wife threatened me that if i put a shift kit in it she will never drive it again. I will probably will order this part today.lol

Whats up with the underdrive pullys? What do they do?

That about it. I appreciate any suggestions you have.

steve
Old 10-11-2005, 03:21 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hunter9s

You and I are on the same page with some upgrades I want to do over the winter. Already did IAT chip and actually it works well. I am a retired plumber so i made my own cold air intake with k&n. I had a turbonator laying around I took off of an SHO. new flow master exhaust is done. I did put new tires on it, the ones on it were junk. Now here comes the questions. I have a 2002 gt and I am thinking of putting on a throddle body / plenium 75mm. It looks easy enough to install but I have a few ? Is a trickflow 75mm a good choice. The size is the question. Is the 75mm a good choice? What size is stock. After this is installed does it have to be retuned?

Next is the Steeda tri axle. I have 5 speed manual now .. what do you think of the steeda? I see on the instructions they say to drain the tranny fluid and replace it. Why do you have to change the fluid? Does it just make it easier or what? My wife threatened me that if i put a shift kit in it she will never drive it again. I will probably will order this part today.lol

Whats up with the underdrive pullys? What do they do?

That about it. I appreciate any suggestions you have.

steve

I hope you HAD the turbonator and then proceeded to throw it in the garbage.

You are horribly misinformed about the Steeda Tri-AX (not axle!). I have one, put it on in about an hour, did not need to drain the transmission fluid. I wouldn't really call a shifter a shift kit either. All you need to do is unbolt the old shifter (comes with instructions that tells you what to do clearly enough), remove the old gasket material around the edge of the hole in the transmission, be sure none of it falls in, place new RTV sealant around, drop your Tri-Ax on and bolt it back in to place, set the stops (they tell you how to do this too), then put the rest of the stuff you took off back on... simple swap.

Underdrive pullies essentially slow the speed of the belt by changing the size of your pullies. It reduces the parasitic loss from things such as your alternator and power steering pump. If you plan on getting a blower, do not get UDPs. As long as all the electrical equipment in your Mustang is stock (no huge sound system) you won't have any problem with UDPs and all it will do is free up some horsepower.

70mm or 75mm is a good size for a TB/plenum replacement... 75mm more so for a blown car, but it will still work fine. A lot of people like the Accufab TB and plenum, but Trick Flow is a large name, and they can't be that much worse. You will not need a tune for these changes. It would help you squeeze more power out of everything, but it still is not worth the $400 really. Also, I'm not sure what size is stock, too lazy to go out and measure.[:-]
Old 10-11-2005, 08:44 PM
hunter9s
1st Gear Member

hey thanks for all the advice. I must have got way off on the tri ax and the fluid change. I think i will go with the 75mm and see how that works I was recently disabled form a bad back surgery so I have alot of time to research everything. I fell on ice 4 months after surgery and blew everythhing out of my back. the rods, screws and the bones are broken and no one will try to fix. The real down side is its getting harder and harder to drive my gt. Anyhow i have alot of time to check everything out and do a real good job. I just put it away for winter. back to driving a pontiac grand am.

thanks again.... i may be hitting you up for more info thanks
steve
Old 10-15-2005, 11:32 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

I just got a 2000 GT.
It has:
80mm MAF sensor
k&n cold air kit
steeda tri-ax shifter
steeda double-release quadrant
bassani x-pipe
dynamax catback exhaust
70mm TB&plenum

I'm allready planning on:
3.73:1 Steeda/Ford Racing gears
Ford Racing shorty headers w/ ceramic coat
Steeda aluminum driveshaft

I want to know what is the best brand/kit to beef up the clutch some, and any particular concerns with changing the gears out? Thanks
Old 10-15-2005, 11:34 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

I forgot to add that I am going to the s/c route, so I don't need UDP.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:40 PM
qwikgtpony
1st Gear Member

I have an 03 gt, with full exhaust, cold air intake, and underdrive pullys, what should I buy next to get the best bang for my buck?
Old 10-22-2005, 04:51 PM
jrock
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: qwikgtpony

I have an 03 gt, with full exhaust, cold air intake, and underdrive pullys, what should I buy next to get the best bang for my buck?
get gears
Old 10-22-2005, 08:38 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: qwikgtpony

Gears. Yep.

Umm, full exhaust means shorties or LTs? Either is better than stock, but LTs make tranny work hell. You should think about a timing adjuster or a tuner, also. The tuner will allow you to correct the ratios for the new gears, advance the timing, and generally squeeze every hp possible from your mods.

Quick Reply: Basic Mods for your 96-04 GT/Mach 1