4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:35 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

What octane gas do I need to use for my 96-04 GT/Mach 1/Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 10:28 PM

Default RE: TECH: What octane gas do I need to use for my 96-04 GT?

ORIGINAL: Dave2000GT

I think this information is wrong, octane rating is just a RATING.. they say 87 octane is 87% octane and 13% heptane ?!?! B.S.

ALL gas is almost 100% octane.. there are trace deposits of other hydrocarbons and impurities that will make the gas more combustible, and by removing them, or adding other deposits, the gasses octane rating is raised, meaning it won't detonate as easily. You can have octane ratings over 100, that alone should tell you all you need to know about this article.

Stop posting this crap or I'll have you banned!!
Most 100+ octane rating gas is leaded. 100+ octane you buy at a shell station in the middle of nowhere isn't. I'm going to do some research on this later on to see if you're right, or hsw.com is right. You basically just told us exactly what hsw.com said in their article in the link provided.

Old 08-02-2005, 01:09 AM
justingt
3rd Gear Member

^^^^^whatever works 91 or 93
Old 08-02-2005, 03:52 PM
Dave2000GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000Si

I think this information is wrong, octane rating is just a RATING.. they say 87 octane is 87% octane and 13% heptane ?!?! B.S.

ALL gas is almost 100% octane.. there are trace deposits of other hydrocarbons and impurities that will make the gas more combustible, and by removing them, or adding other deposits, the gasses octane rating is raised, meaning it won't detonate as easily. You can have octane ratings over 100, that alone should tell you all you need to know about this article.

Most 100+ octane rating gas is leaded. 100+ octane you buy at a shell station in the middle of nowhere isn't. I'm going to do some research on this later on to see if you're right, or hsw.com is right. You basically just told us exactly what hsw.com said in their article in the link provided.
No i basically just told you that the whole POINT of the article "What does octane mean?", is completely wrong.. octane is NOT a %... just a rating...
Old 08-02-2005, 07:17 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Please read this info before making posts.
http://www.rockettbrand.com/technica...rConfusion.pdf
http://www.rockettbrand.com/technica...viationGas.pdf
http://www.rockettbrand.com/technica...olineMyths.pdf
Old 08-09-2005, 08:24 AM
sk8erdudex
2nd Gear Member

Ok first off. Read the whole article before you start doubt. It says in the last paragraph that the octane RATING isn't the percentage. The percentages were just an example. Second, don't ever threaten me with your banning crap. If you have a problem with the information I have provided, either post an appropriate post with something decent to back it up or PM me. Why not try learning something at this forum rather than being a little ******** and trying to argue everything.

And also. Think of this. The article mentions that 87 octane is 87% octane and 13% heptane or a combination of other chemicals that have the compression limit of those two chemicals. So gas that has an octane rating of 100 would have the same compression limit as 100% octane. That doesn't mean that it has to be octane they are using. What they are trying to explain is octane is the standard for compression limits, therefore if gasoline has an octane rating of 150 the gas could be compressed 50% more than if it was just pure octane. Its simple logics use your brain before you post stupid things like that and be respectful of people who actually try to post useful information
Old 08-19-2005, 05:30 PM
JADAS2001GT

Ok so using 87 will not harm 96-04 GT
Old 08-21-2005, 08:21 PM
sk8erdudex
2nd Gear Member

87 is fine for your car
Old 10-02-2005, 03:15 PM
ProjMach1
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JD1969

Higher octane won't hurt your motor or cause any weird buildup. It will not help you any if you don't need it though. Me I run 93 in my Camaro due to the compression being 10.25:1, but in my 94 GT I run 87.

on contrary my friend, Higher octane when not necessary will hurt your engine. If your car is reccomended to run on 87 octane and you decide to put 93 all that will do for you is start wearing on your internals alot faster. Because of the fact that your compression isn't high enough ( Other factors also such as amount of air/fuel being put in combustion chamber which would raise compression) it will not be able to bring that grade octane to its near its autoignition point causeing left over resedue in your combustion chamber. Basically what it comes down to is your combustion chamber tempature is not hot enough to burn that fuel. So you will get carbon build up around your valve seats, and carbon on your piston, and basically washing out your cylinder walls. Obviously you will not see this diffrence right away, or in the near future, but after using it for a good amount of time you will start to see oil consumption and eventually even smoking out your tail pipe. So unless reccommended for your application there is no need to use a higher grade octane, just a waste of money, especially in the long run if you plan on keeping your vehicle for a while.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:12 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Yes it's a good idea. Read your Ford manual for your Engine application. I run the highest octane I can buy in both my 65 and my 03 Mach1 32 valve. No pinging from either of them. The 65 pings with 87 because I have it advanced as far as I can. I have always used premium in it, and it has 125,000 miles on the original engine, and doesn't burn a drop of oil. The manual for my 03 Mach clearly states to use premium in that 32 valve engine, so it has never nor will it ever get any 87 added to it. But, these guys are right. If it doesn't ping on 87, then that is what you should use.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:19 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

I run 87 or 89 in my 1997 GT. Can't tell a difference either way so I'm probably sticking with 87. The general rule is if you change your engine's ignition, compression... anything drastic for HP, run higher octane.
I don't think you need premium for exhausts or CAI
George

Quick Reply: What octane gas do I need to use for my 96-04 GT/Mach 1/Cobra