4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Header question

Old 07-20-2005, 02:31 PM
TruBlu03GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Header question

I'm getting ready to purchase some headers. Here's the problem. I cant decide between LT's or the equal lengths. My delimma is that with the LT's, I understand changing a clutch or doin tranny work is a B!#$*. Are the gains from LT's on an N/A car worth it, or will the equal lengths be just as effective? Thanks for the help.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:32 PM
98UAGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Header question

Everyone and their sister will tell you LTs are the way to go, and if you put shorties on, you will lose power. Not true, Shorties will still give you a gain. Just not as big of a gain as LT. Not to mention with LTs you have to buy a new mid-pipe. If you want the biggest gain with disregard to money and install, go long tubes. If you want a cheaper, easier install, still with a gain, go shorties. LTs will give you a better sound as well because of the new mid-pipe. You decide.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:39 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

I dont think anybody ever said shorties will cost you power... anyways LT's may cost more but from a hp per dollar standpoint longtubes are a better deal. The drawback is the intall is harder and their not emissions legal. Its your choice of course. I wouldn't be suprised if you went with shorties and a before and after dyno shows a 5 rwhp gain... I can tell you with certainty a set of longtubes and matching mid pipe will give you 30 to the wheels and alot better sound. So what if its harder to change a clutch... how many times you gonna do that?
Old 07-20-2005, 07:15 PM
98UAGT
2nd Gear Member

Oh, people will say shorties cost you power. Just do a search on headers in this forum. You will find PLENTY of posts. There are a plethora of people that have condemned shorties b/c of one dyno sheet.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:08 PM
That Guy
2nd Gear Member

With LT's will any X-pipe work or do you have to get them in a set?
Old 07-20-2005, 08:17 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TruBlu03GT

I'm getting ready to purchase some headers. Here's the problem. I cant decide between LT's or the equal lengths. My delimma is that with the LT's, I understand changing a clutch or doin tranny work is a B!#$*. Are the gains from LT's on an N/A car worth it, or will the equal lengths be just as effective? Thanks for the help.
I have seen dyno sheets showing only a 3-5 HP gain thru the curve with shorties on a SUPERCHARGED CAR!! Shorties are totally worthless on a N/A setup, and nearly so on a supercharged one. Go longtubes.

Just get a new clutch before you put em in, and do it all at once. BTW, any SHORT x-pipe should work with any set of longtubes, you just have to make sure to get the short x pipe.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:48 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

I've looked at the LTs and shorties, and I'm going with the shorties. Personal preference, b/c I absolutely hate have to dick with headers on mod motors. Yeah, I lose a little, but the aggravation is not worth it to me.

However, I'm stuck. BBK makes chrome equal length (tuned) shorties and I can get them for about $300. FRPP makes jet hot-coated un-equal length shorties and I can get them for $335 plus shipping. Since price isn't the issue here, which is better? I've been told the Jet Hot coated Ford is better, b/c equal or not, shorties are about the same, but the JH coating is more valuable.

Thoughts?
Old 07-20-2005, 08:53 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

I bought the Jet Hot coated ones from FRPP...they're being put in right now...

I'll let you know how they work out...

P.S. Thanks to HAUS for the awesome deal.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:45 PM
Albizo66
4th Gear Member

Just curious..does FRPP make Longtubes as well, or just Shorties?
Old 07-20-2005, 11:03 PM
foxtrot
2nd Gear Member

screw the headers just do the midpipe and cat back! sounds as good adds less hp than LT's but WTF

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Header question