4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

knock when cold

Old 12-28-2009, 12:26 PM
5sp04GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by robert_barnes181
bought car this way
Yeah thats the problem with buyin a used sports car its been pre beatin. the first thing i would do is change the oil and filter check the oil for bearing material and cut open the filter pull out the paper element and check for the same, what could it hurt. at this point if it hasnt been doing it for a while maybe you can save any additional damage to the engine. if its clean ok great then all you waisted was a oil change.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:20 AM
robert_barnes181

i have owned car for about 3 weeks change oil and fluids only problem i have had when changed coolant got a bad thermo but car never over heated i changed out x pipe to h pipe (x pipe crossed over under trans and hit everything on road) and put in the rev hanger fix so car would idle down i never noticed this because car would high idle and does not now. oil looked good no metal and the pressures r all good and temp is good i swear it sounds like this is coming from the fly wheel putting scope on pan can bearly hear it on bell housing very loud and also it only does it when its very cold outside if its in garage with heater on sounds fine only when its very cold
Old 12-29-2009, 02:09 PM
5sp04GT
2nd Gear Member

when you changed the x pipe out for the h pipe did you use a new gasket or donut on the header? When i changed my x pipe over to the h pipe i tried reusein the donut becuz it was only like three weeks old but it leaked...mine was a tick or a flutter not a rap or a knock though. from what you r sayin it does sound like clutch or tranny... but the thing that gets me is y does it go away?. does it go away if while its doing it you put pressure on the clutch pedal or push the pedal to the floor?
Old 12-29-2009, 02:25 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by robert_barnes181
i have owned car for about 3 weeks d
Sorry to say man but it sounds like u've been duped. nobody sells a perfect car for no reason. look at the bright side, u can just build it better!
Old 12-29-2009, 03:35 PM
robert_barnes181

yes new gasket but had some problems so it was in and out several times by the time it was done forba thinks it sounds like exhaust leak to. it still makes sound when u press clutch n thats y i thoght fly wheel it may b exhaust leak because at 65 when u roll into it not stomp it it sounds like it may have a small header leak i thoght it was just the h pipe guess ill start there
like i said this started at the time i put in h pipe but two other factors idle hanger installed so no high idle and temp went from 50 to 18 over night so it maybe exhaust leak or prob could have already been there just high idle kept it quite because it goes awa as soon as u move rpms by 200 even when clucth cycles on ac it goes away only at low idle it does this
Old 12-29-2009, 03:43 PM
robert_barnes181

ok just got off phone with ford they r saying that this is normal more normal for the 5.4 but not to worry they r saying that pistons r cold and block is also and until motor warms up pistons r slightly out of tolarance have 85000 on car and they say this is normal for higher mileage but with me running pro charger 85000 is high mileage and it is more common with the 5.4 than the 4.6 said i am about 30th call since temp dropped sounds like mumbo jumbo to me
Old 12-29-2009, 09:44 PM
5sp04GT
2nd Gear Member

yeah every time i here somebody going to ford with an issue withthere car they come back with oh thats normal... typical. my mothers car although its a gt and a 2 valve has over 90 k on it and ive never heard anything like that out of it. id get a couple opinions if it were me. has anyone else ever heard of this?
Old 12-29-2009, 10:39 PM
robert_barnes181

had two michanics listen to it the cant figure it out because it goes away when reved or after its warmed up they drive till it goes i think it maybee exhaust i pulled off h pipe and replaced gasket also welded up cross piece instead of clamp and it sounds way better i just never heard exhaust sound that way
Old 12-30-2009, 12:58 PM
5sp04GT
2nd Gear Member

Yeah i ve never heard anything like that either. but if its fixed then great. good luck and have fun with that supercharger i know i would ha ha.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:11 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

does it only do this when car is cold and goes away. If so, does your motor had forged pistons as noise could be clanging of pistons perhaps...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: knock when cold