4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Replacing Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 09:18 PM
ghoste
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Replacing Intake Manifold

Well, to be SHORT.

Strut tower brace was in the way of everything, to remove it, I needed to jack up both sides of the car, take off the tires, and reach in the wheel wells and loosen nuts, I loosened one side.

I didnt buy the fuel line removal tool, so basically relieved the pressure by removing the injectors, fuel came gushing out until relieved.

The spark plug socket with the rubber piece to snag the spark plug, kept on coming off in the plug holes. PAIN IN THE *** TO RETRIEVE.

One spark plug didnt want to come out, ended up being an end of a screw in there blocking it from coming out.

When I jacked the left side of the car up to get to the tower brace, I car came down 1 inch to settle in the jack, coolant came splashing out of the head into spark plug holes, Had to soak with paper towels and dry with air compressor.

The rear bolts for the manifold are a pain in the *** to get out even with the hood off, the driver side, there is a "Y" in the wiring harness that blocks access, need to pry the harness back to get to it.

The alternator needed to come out because I didnt full remove the strut brace.

Be sure to plug all intake ports with rags, and suck out coolant to a low level in the head in each port to prevent coolant getting to the block or plug holes.

Replace the manifold gaskets and plugs while your doing this project.

There was alot of other frustrations, just cant think of them right now.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:48 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

It's good that you didn't suffer any major set backs..

Did you drain all of the coolant from the engine originally, or was the bleed off from what was left in the block??

Some of those bolts were truly meant to be taken out either with crazy sockets and extensions that flex, or with the engine out, it's good you were able to fight through it...

The rubber boots on the Coil modules can be a pain in the ***.. I wish Ford designed them as a single piece unit..

Please don't take this the wrong way, but normally, I would replace ANY gaskets that were disturbed during a major tear down like this.. (I consider this a MAJOR tear down because you are removing several MAJOR components of your engine..)

But since this is your first time doing it, and it only took you essentially a day plus a little time, I think you did alright...

I hope other folks take note and read this thread for the future, that way they may not have the problem... It's a selfless act if you think of it..

Good job though... Do you wanna do my intake swap?? j/k

JT
95 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 12.7 @ 103mph (R.I.P.)
00 Mustang GT - Back in Action, still too slow.....

Old 07-31-2005, 05:09 AM
ghoste
3rd Gear Member

Okay, well I took it out tonight to the store.

Im getting hestitation/stutter/misfire after each shift (when it drops rpm). Im thinking it could be a plug misfiring due to a coil spring not connected properly somewhere.

Im going to investigate tomorrow morning, Ill let you know then.

If you have any ideas, please let me know :x
Old 07-31-2005, 01:40 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

I'd say you're right on the money.. Ignition issues rear their head once there's load on the engine (once the car is running).

Also, check your other sensors up top, to make sure all associated vac. lines, and power lines are connected.. Thankfully (in a weird way), our engines don't run if there isn't power to most of our sensors up top..

Must be nice to have the car back on the road though..

JT
Old 07-31-2005, 05:16 PM
ghoste
3rd Gear Member

Yes it is nice to have it back on the road

Well, this morning father and I put the car in gear, braking. The misfiring sounded like it was coming from the passenger side cylinders. So we unplugged all coils, repluged them. Still misfiring. So we grabed the old plugs (Autolite), Took out the 4 new ngk iridiums we put in, put the old plugs in, and misfiring is gone.

So now im going to bring the plugs to autozone or somewhere and have them tested. Those plugs were NOT cheap, Im do not want to run half crap plugs and half good plugs.

I will let you know the details tomorrow.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:52 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ghoste

Yes it is nice to have it back on the road

Well, this morning father and I put the car in gear, braking. The misfiring sounded like it was coming from the passenger side cylinders. So we unplugged all coils, repluged them. Still misfiring. So we grabed the old plugs (Autolite), Took out the 4 new ngk iridiums we put in, put the old plugs in, and misfiring is gone.

So now im going to bring the plugs to autozone or somewhere and have them tested. Those plugs were NOT cheap, Im do not want to run half crap plugs and half good plugs.

I will let you know the details tomorrow.
Almost sounds like this time I rebuilt the top end of my Mother's Caravan.. I got 6 new injectors, put them all in, and when I tried to start it, it started blowing raw gas out of the tail pipe.. Took the fuel rail off after a little trouble shooting, and put the old injectors back in, worked like a charm..

Faulty parts happen, I'm thinking by tomorrow you'll be back at 100%..

JT