4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

AutoX / RoadRace Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 07:53 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Thanks, Wai Wai

I was gonna refer the Dr. to my Official Suspension Guide (in sig) and read up. I recommend you get a good understanding of all this stuff BEFORE you go dumpin money into your ride. My guide is by no means the most technically proficient thread on suspension, but has more than all the basic components to understand all the lingo that goes into it.

Jazzer
np,

The best thing I can recommend is more seat time after each mod, you will figure out what needs to be addressed.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:06 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by Aereon
np,

The best thing I can recommend is more seat time after each mod, you will figure out what needs to be addressed.
That there is the gospel, baby
Old 02-15-2010, 01:53 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

That there is the gospel, baby
it's what I learned through my own mistakes=P went coilovers on all 4 corners, lca's, torque arn, phb before my first outting, then on the next outting I swapped the torque arm, lca and phb for an IRS(that we did the bushing swap on). I was struggling to figure out what to do til the very end, couldn't enjoy myself=/

Oh and op, suspension is an addicting bug, it's also expensive, I would never recommend cheaping out on suspension components as it's whats keeping you from bouncing into the wall/tires/curb/other cars. With that said I've spent enough on suspension for a 03-04 cobra swap + whipple (maybe even ported) lols.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:22 PM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

damn you guys are a huge help. deffinatley tryin to do my homework before buyin. thanks for the link too. much appreciated.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:34 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dr.apex
damn you guys are a huge help. deffinatley tryin to do my homework before buyin. thanks for the link too. much appreciated.
anytime, don't forget to look into tire compound and the stock brakes on the gt are pretty damn inadequate, cheap and decent upgrade is the mach1 brake kit (same as a cobra's) and a set of hps pads.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:13 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I have a complete thread on choosing tires as well

.... how much was your budget again
Old 02-15-2010, 06:14 PM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

that suspension thread was, by far, one of the best threads I've ever read in any forum. Tons of info and answered questions in there.

After reading that, I've decided to start in stages. My plan for the first stage is to stiffen the car up with upper and lower subframe connectors, and a ten point roll cage. Maybe even an adjustable front antiroll bar and rear adjustable sway bar.

My wife and I havent decided what the budget for the suspension will be due to my sons minimotard season thats about to start. The kid comes first, then we go play with whats left.

Last edited by dr.apex; 02-15-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:43 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Hold off on going with sway bars right away. They are a tuning device and should be the very LAST thing you do to address understeer/oversteer issues (gererally understeer on an SN95). Now, the adjustable aspect is good and may end up needing them anyway, but if the car is set up properly, you almost don't even need a rear bar.

Start with SFC's (roll cage will do wonders in addition to them) and go for the Griggs LCA's mentioned earlier and stop there. Then go to some "minimotard....?" classes/sessions/events...? and install a WL and TA and rear CO's when funds are back up to speed.

The next step will cost you, as you don't want to waste money doing things twice. I would go Griggs "K" and really think about how much track time you are going to do. If the answer is LOTS..... go SLA and skip right past the traditional CO's. This will pretty much force you to install a Griggs front tubular sway bar and go spherical ends on all but 3 (yes, count 'em... 3 poly joints on the ENTIRE CAR). You said noisy was OK..... and you got it

My car is set up this way and is only bad on very rough/pourus asphalt. Your average streets are fine, but instantly noticeable to any passengers along for the ride. Of course, they are soo busy holding on for dear life when I drive a corner, they quickly loose any thoughts of comfort and begin contemplating if his/her will is up to date

Jazzer
Old 02-15-2010, 07:04 PM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Hold off on going with sway bars right away. They are a tuning device and should be the very LAST thing you do to address understeer/oversteer issues (gererally understeer on an SN95). Now, the adjustable aspect is good and may end up needing them anyway, but if the car is set up properly, you almost don't even need a rear bar.

Start with SFC's (roll cage will do wonders in addition to them) and go for the Griggs LCA's mentioned earlier and stop there. Then go to some "minimotard....?" classes/sessions/events...? and install a WL and TA and rear CO's when funds are back up to speed.

The next step will cost you, as you don't want to waste money doing things twice. I would go Griggs "K" and really think about how much track time you are going to do. If the answer is LOTS..... go SLA and skip right past the traditional CO's. This will pretty much force you to install a Griggs front tubular sway bar and go spherical ends on all but 3 (yes, count 'em... 3 poly joints on the ENTIRE CAR). You said noisy was OK..... and you got it

My car is set up this way and is only bad on very rough/pourus asphalt. Your average streets are fine, but instantly noticeable to any passengers along for the ride. Of course, they are soo busy holding on for dear life when I drive a corner, they quickly loose any thoughts of comfort and begin contemplating if his/her will is up to date

Jazzer
yeah it seems like the griggs k is what is gonna take the biggest chunk out the the wallet but sounds to be the way to go.
My wife just made a comment to me about how funny the car would look with a ten point roll cage in it due to its being a vert. Im thinking that if we are making it into a track car, we pretty much need the ten point spcifically due to it being a vert. Am I on base, or can we get away with a 6 or 8 point?
Old 02-15-2010, 07:26 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I don't know how many points you MUST have with a vert on a track, but more points are going to be better for sure.

I mean... How much is your safety worth?

Jazzer

Quick Reply: AutoX / RoadRace Suspension