4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

torque converter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 03:50 PM
skunkanova
1st Gear Member

Default torque converter?

how would a converter act when its starting to wear out?
Old 07-26-2005, 05:04 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

Default RE: torque converter?

Lots of jerking, not going into gear right away, hesitation.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:32 PM
skunkanova
1st Gear Member

yea.....definately not what i wanted to hear.....guess thats gunna be a 2 day excursion to get replaced as soon as needed....its still working....as long as im not getting on it too hard....as far as switching gears....it kinda hesitates a lil like it doesnt know what gear it wants to go to....

what would you say about upgrading the converters......whats the differences in the different stalls....and general price range/ease of install....i mean is this gunna be like a clutch install...or is this gunna be some serious bustin knuckles type thing thats gunna cost me a crap load of money?
Old 07-27-2005, 02:18 PM
DIVER8374
4th Gear Member

I have never installed one on a newer stang, but did install (2) on a 84' 4 banger and It was not that bad. Just drain all the fluid and drop the trans, pull the old one off, put the new one on, and re-install the trans, fill with fluid. If anyone know's for sure if this is the basics or not chime in and correct me if I am wrong. And the price for a stall will run you anywhere from $700 - $1500 depending on who and what you get.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:46 PM
skunkanova
1st Gear Member

i havent done a tranny drop in a mustang before, but have in a camaro....any of you got a link to a how to...i just wanna get me footing before i jump in ya know?
Old 07-28-2005, 04:47 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Don't forget to torque everything just right...

And as I've seen with just about every drivetrain install, use Loc-Tite on the Flexplate/Torque converter bolts. It'll save you the aggravation of having to pull everything else out again, and re-tighten everything...

JT
95 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 12.7 @ 103mph (R.I.P.)
00 Mustang GT - Back in Action, still too slow.....
Old 07-28-2005, 07:14 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Usually it's not the converter that goes. What happens most times is that there is somthing else wrong in the trans and that problem takes the converter out. You could have a front pump fail, you could have worn bands and drums. I would get the rest of the trans rebuilt when you pull it out, I know that adds up but chances are if you just put in a new converter with the old trans it wont last long.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:50 AM
skunkanova
1st Gear Member

well, since i know crap about transmissions, what i think im going to do is order a higher stall converter...and while i take out the trans to take to the shop to get it looked at/ put in a shift kit while its out....then if he says it needs a rebuild then ill take care of that then....now i just have to deal with it till it goes out

u mention a front pump going out? would that cause leaking
last time i was under my car i notice a tad bit of atf at the bellhousing where you can see the flywheel teeth, im not leaking transmission fluid.....every time i check the levels, its always good, hence why i was thinking there was something up with the torque converter....
Old 07-29-2005, 12:52 AM
skunkanova
1st Gear Member

oh and when im looking at torque converters......what size do i need to bolt straight up?....im seein 10 11 12, then like an 11 3/4 bolt pattern....im all confused on that.....
Old 07-29-2005, 01:55 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Generally the higher stalls will be a smaller diameter, you will also need a good after market trans cooler. The front pump has seal that can leak and drip where you were talking about, somtimes they leak really bad and other times it's just a small drip.

Quick Reply: torque converter?