4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Coolant what colour/how to change?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 12:45 PM
krazymofo22
1st Gear Member

Default Coolant what colour/how to change?

Hey guys
I have a 2002 Gt and i was wondering how do i change my coolant? Right now i have orange coolant in my car, and i dont think its the right coolant for my car. I would like to change it.

What colour would be the right colour for my year? I saw i tread about it on this forum i belive but i cannot find it .

Thanks in advance
Old 02-20-2010, 02:35 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

Im sure that is motorcraft coolant, its the right stuff. Are you having any problems?
Old 02-20-2010, 03:08 PM
krazymofo22
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SilverNGrey4.6s
Im sure that is motorcraft coolant, its the right stuff. Are you having any problems?
Im not having any problems with it. I want to change the coolant, since ive never done it yet on my car. I bought it in 2007
Old 02-21-2010, 03:42 PM
krazymofo22
1st Gear Member

bump.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:58 PM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

Isn't Dexcool orange also? (which would be a big no-no in our cars)
I don't know about Canada, but down here in the states, dealing with used coolant is about as bad as used oil in regards to the disposal of it. Check with your local parts store and see what they say.
For a quick drain and replace, run the car long enough to warm it up enough for the t-stat to open, open the drain **** on the bottom of the radiator; after it is all drained out, fill with the proper mix of the new stuff. This obviously isn't as good as a flush and fill, but if age of the current coolant is your only concern, this is usually good enough.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:05 PM
krazymofo22
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FlamingoGT
For a quick drain and replace, run the car long enough to warm it up enough for the t-stat to open, open the drain **** on the bottom of the radiator; after it is all drained out, fill with the proper mix of the new stuff. This obviously isn't as good as a flush and fill, but if age of the current coolant is your only concern, this is usually good enough.
If i just do the quick drain and replace, will their still be old coolant in it? Because i dont want to mix different coolants
Old 02-21-2010, 05:57 PM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

Yes, there will still be some of the old coolant still in the engine. As long as the coolant that is in there now isn't 'bad' or the wrong kind, it really isn't that big of a deal to do this. But if it is a concern to you, you will have to do a power flush.
A compromise that would get more of the old coolant out using the drain and fill method would be to fill the radiator with straight water and run that for a few minutes, then drain that... and maybe repeat until the water comes out clear... then fill with the proper mix.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:26 PM
krazymofo22
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FlamingoGT
Yes, there will still be some of the old coolant still in the engine. As long as the coolant that is in there now isn't 'bad' or the wrong kind, it really isn't that big of a deal to do this. But if it is a concern to you, you will have to do a power flush.
A compromise that would get more of the old coolant out using the drain and fill method would be to fill the radiator with straight water and run that for a few minutes, then drain that... and maybe repeat until the water comes out clear... then fill with the proper mix.
thank you
Old 02-21-2010, 07:31 PM
krazymofo22
1st Gear Member

i forgot to ask this, would you know or anyone know the amount of coolant needed when its empty?
Old 02-21-2010, 07:56 PM
smashten
1st Gear Member

18 qts

Quick Reply: Coolant what colour/how to change?