4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Bad motor mounts and premature clutch wear

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 08:23 PM
saleenraider

Default Bad motor mounts and premature clutch wear

Does anyone know if bad motor mounts will lead to premature clutch wear or cause TOB to go out faster? I've been through 3 clutches in the past 8 months. The first one was installed wrong by a repair shop which was a SPEC stage 1. The second one I put in was a King Cobra and after about 1000 miles of easy driving the TOB suddenly exploded without ever making a sound like it was going bad. The third clutch is a SPEC stage 1 that is currently in use and it started out great but now I am noticing the TOB starting to chatter (not whining) at idle and cruising. I know my motor mounts are in really bad shape they are stock and its a '96 GT. I was wondering if the two could be related. I was thinking that if there is more movement coming from the engine if that could transfer to the driveline and cause my clutches to fail. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:05 AM
Nestang
2nd Gear Member

Hmm maybe if they was really shot, never hurts to replace them and the trans mount if they're shot. My guess would maybe be something to do with the clutch fork being bent or somthing, or in the cable or somewhere inbeetween. Also are you using a good TOB? Another question how do you have your steeda adjuster set?
Old 02-25-2010, 06:13 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I'm not sure if a bad motor mount would cause clutch problems, regargless the tranny is mated to the motor. My question is have you been replacing the Piliot bearing? This sounds like a piliot bearing issue. Other things to check would be the clutch fork and also check for excessive play in you're transmissions input shaft, excessive play in the shaft could point to the trans as the problem. But i do know sometimes its a real b**ch getting that piliot bearing out and alot of shops doing the clutch might just leave the old one in.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:44 PM
saleenraider

Thanks for all the replies. Well, I have new mounts ready to be installed. When I had the third clutch replaced I put in a new FRPP clutch fork. As far as TOB's I'm using the ones that come with the kits. I was shocked when my King Cobra TOB exploded on me I thought I bought a good kit. What is a good TOB? I have heard OEM is the best and some have said TIMKEN is good also. Is this really true? I have the the non-adjustible ford cable because the steeda one was stretching on me and it is one the second hook of the quadrant (the hook farthest from the firewall). The firewall adjuster is all the way in. As far as I know the pilot bearing has been changed every time.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:52 PM
03GeeTee
3rd Gear Member

Those pilot bearings really are a pain in the ***. I used the bread/grease trick when I did my TKO swap.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:15 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Yea when i did mine i banged out the innner race with a chisel then used a piliot bearing puller it took a few tries but it finally came out, the grease trick wouldnt work for me and neither would a slide hammer.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:23 PM
saleenraider

I only hear the sound when the clutch is out. When it is pushed in I don't hear a sound not even a whine. The sound is a metal on metal chattering its not a whine or screech. Would that be a TOB or a pilot bearing?