4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

cheap weight reduction

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 02:02 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Default RE: cheap weight reduction

ORIGINAL: elitopus

The exhaust is already very short with no cats, a x-pipe, and 12 inch long glasspacks. It dumps right before the axle, so I dont think I could lose much weight there unless she got headers and ran short extensions off of them. Plus it is all welded together except for where it bolts up to the manifolds.

Like I said, "It may be a little out there.."

But, every little bit counts... No matter where it's at... Makes it tough since it's welded though.. Did you ever think about swapping out Rims/tires for a lightweight combo?? What about brakes?? I know you were aiming for cheap, but those 2 things can reduce EACH corner of your car by at least 20lbs if done together.. Some of the more expensive upgrades, but it really does help...

JT
95 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 12.7 @ 103mph (R.I.P.)
00 Mustang GT - Back in Action, still too slow.....

Old 07-29-2005, 02:03 AM
num1son80
1st Gear Member

K member tubular with tubular a-arms 70 lbs front wgt with greater adjustability, also do a battery relocation, yes you arent loosing wgt but put it in the right rear and U will notice a difference

K
Old 07-29-2005, 02:07 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: num1son80

K member tubular with tubular a-arms 70 lbs front wgt with greater adjustability, also do a battery relocation, yes you arent loosing wgt but put it in the right rear and U will notice a difference

K

No, you actually do lose a substantial amount of weight from getting the Tubular front end.. And it's really not that expensive... Besides, it looks cool under the hood, and gives you a TON of flexibility, and space for adding headers...

JT
95 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 12.7 @ 103mph (R.I.P.)
00 Mustang GT - Back in Action, still too slow.....

Old 07-29-2005, 02:10 AM
num1son80
1st Gear Member

^^^^^

Yah I should have clarified the transfer of the battery is worth 60lbs to the right rear, it helps balance out the difference of a driver, the tubular front is worth 70 lbs so all together it should be worth a .1 sec if not more the battery relocation helps with the traction and the tubulars help with the wgt transfer

K
Old 07-29-2005, 02:11 AM
elitopus

will 15 inch prostar rims fit without grinding the brake calipers? I know on my camaro that it takes some grinding to get 15s to fit. I would probably go with 15x3.5 in the front and 15x10 in the rear with new wheel studs off course. I know the stock 17 inch rims have got to be pretty heavy. Also in the future I am planning on doing the K-member and control arms but like I said before that involves money that we dont have right now. And does anyone know about running no front sway bar for better weight tranfer on launch?
Old 07-29-2005, 02:14 AM
num1son80
1st Gear Member

ELI... I've done it on my camaro at the track, just when I got home I bolted it back up, actually a lot of guys that I know (lt1 crowd) remove the front for that reason better wgt distribution

K
Old 07-29-2005, 02:19 AM
elitopus

i have had my front sway bar removed on my camaro for about a year now and i do notice it tranfers weight better on launch so I was thinking about doing the same thing to the mustang
Old 07-29-2005, 02:30 AM
elitopus

i was surprised that the mustang forums dont have a thread all about weight reduction like they have at LS1tech.com..... Its like 20 pages long and lists everything you could possibly take off of a F-body. I have about exhausted all of my ideas for stuff to strip off my camaro but Ive taken about 400 lbs out without buying a single lightweight part. Now that I have a truck too I can get really serious and my girlfriend just got a cavalier also so I have permission now to gut her car also.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:53 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Take out the dash and you will see a ton of metal bracing in there that can be removed, there is an easy 25-30 lbs in there, dump the passenger side air bag as well. Crash bars inside the doors are worth about 20 lbs total.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:54 PM
elitopus

Today I took out
-carpet
-side panels
-switched passenger seat to drivers side and took out the power seat
-center console
-headliner
-door panels
-all seatbelts except drivers
-all kick panels, trim panels
-door speakers

tommorow i will take the dash out and remove the passenger airbag as well as the driver airbag, and probably the firewall insulation. I will put the dash back in though, just with everything gutted underneath it. Also the car still has the stock shifter so I took out the rubber bushing and just bolted it together solid.

Quick Reply: cheap weight reduction