4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

cheap weight reduction

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 07:52 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Default RE: cheap weight reduction

ORIGINAL: elitopus

Today I took out
-carpet
-side panels
-switched passenger seat to drivers side and took out the power seat
-center console
-headliner
-door panels
-all seatbelts except drivers
-all kick panels, trim panels
-door speakers

tommorow i will take the dash out and remove the passenger airbag as well as the driver airbag, and probably the firewall insulation. I will put the dash back in though, just with everything gutted underneath it. Also the car still has the stock shifter so I took out the rubber bushing and just bolted it together solid.

Did you by chance weigh the car before you started ripping stuff out?? I'm interested to know how much weight you can shed just by the freebies..

Is this going to be driven on the street at all?? Otherwise, I'd say get rid of the main Guage cluster and just replace it w/ a Tach and a small speedo...

What about fender liners?? If it's a drag-only car, toss the Power steering, evap canister, windshield wiper motor/wiper arms...

JT
95 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 12.7 @ 103mph (R.I.P.)
00 Mustang GT - Back in Action, still too slow.....
Old 07-29-2005, 11:05 PM
elitopus

can I just take off the power steering pump and leave the stock steering rack with the lines plugged? This is how my camaro is and it has been fine but will the stock mustang rack handle this? I have heard something about blowing out the seals if you just plug up the power steering lines but it has not been a problem on my camaro and I used it as a daily driver like that for a long time. Has anyone just taken the power steering pump off of their mustang without getting the manual rack? I didnt get a chance to weigh the car before I started stripping stuff out but i am sure someone on this site knows about how much a stock GT weighs. She will only drive the car to and from the drag strip so I am not too concerned about streetability.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:17 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

can I just take off the power steering pump and leave the stock steering rack with the lines plugged? This is how my camaro is and it has been fine but will the stock mustang rack handle this? I have heard something about blowing out the seals if you just plug up the power steering lines but it has not been a problem on my camaro and I used it as a daily driver like that for a long time. Has anyone just taken the power steering pump off of their mustang without getting the manual rack? I didnt get a chance to weigh the car before I started stripping stuff out but i am sure someone on this site knows about how much a stock GT weighs. She will only drive the car to and from the drag strip so I am not too concerned about streetability.
On other cars I've had in the past, I was able to remove the pump, and take the High pressure intake line, and mate it to the low pressure outlet line.. Not sure how well the Mustang will hold up, since I've never done a Mustang before, but I'm thinking it would probably be the same as the others..

If people are plugging the line, that is the main problem.. You have a great deal of pressure being built up inside the rack during regular turn in, so if the fluid is just set one way, stopped and returned, it could reasonably blow a few seals.. If you make it a "closed circuit", it could flow the fluid in a circular motion, without any type of detrimental effects...

The only issue you will have is, the steering ratio is whack.. It's gonna take a boat load of effort (more so than a manual rack) just to steer it right. The effort is decreased with forward motion, but it's still a bitch to move...

JT
95 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 12.7 @ 103mph (R.I.P.)
00 Mustang GT - Back in Action, still too slow.....

Old 07-29-2005, 11:36 PM
elitopus

i have my lines looped on my camaro and its fine but it takes alot of effort to turn the wheel when moving slow. I guess i will try this on the mustang. I also have smaller tires on the front of my car and alot of weight removed from the front so it makes it easier. It will be interesting to see how the rustang drives with no power steering and that heavy cast iron block. But I guess my girlfriend can build up her arm strength alittle. I am also going to port and polish her throttlebody because i am too cheap to buy a new one. Hopefully it has alot of meat to it so I can hog the crap out of it. I have done this on my car though so I have a little experience and I have a high speed air dremel.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:14 AM
justingt
3rd Gear Member

will 15 inch prostar rims fit without grinding the brake calipers? I know on my camaro that it takes some grinding to get 15s to fit. I would probably go with 15x3.5 in the front and 15x10 in the rear with new wheel studs off course. I know the stock 17 inch rims have got to be pretty heavy. Also in the future I am planning on doing the K-member and control arms but like I said before that involves money that we dont have right now. And does anyone know about running no front sway bar for better weight tranfer on launch?
NO WAY would they ever grind together mstang brakes are relatively small
Old 07-31-2005, 02:55 AM
elitopus

i weighed some of the stuff i took off

door panels- 15
driver seat(leather, power)-45
center console-5
rear side panels by back seat-5
strut tower brace-6
speakers-4
sun visors-1
rear speaker cover/rear dash-5
foglights/brackets-6
floormats-6
seatbelts(all but drivers)-5
carpet-18
cd player-2
headliner-4
spare tire/jack-30
misc bolts-1

all together =158 lbs removed not including the back seat which I havent weighed yet. Hopefully after the AC, airbags, bumper supports and a few other things go I can get about 250 lbs out total without buying any lightweight parts. Its supposed to be a tenth of a second gain in the quarter mile for every 100 pounds you remove. Since my girl ran the 14.45 we have upgraded the tranny, clutch, and got nitto DRs also so I think 13 second times should be possible (plus she was new to driving a manual tranny then).