4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Higher Octane=Better Running??? Totally Confused-Halp!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Nestang
2nd Gear Member

^Yes indeed, mine likes to stick at a high idle sometimes when Im driving around town and come to a stop/idle. I've cleaned it several times and usually helps alot, but mine seems to the point where it just needs replaced. Ive also made a restrictor plate for it, and that did help with the hanging rmps, it drops nicely now, when it don't stick. So try cleaning the iac and see if you get a reaction, also +1 on the platnium plugs not needing gaped, not sure what you have?
Old 03-11-2010, 08:36 PM
GTVAPSAMTIK
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nestang
^Yes indeed, mine likes to stick at a high idle sometimes when Im driving around town and come to a stop/idle. I've cleaned it several times and usually helps alot, but mine seems to the point where it just needs replaced. Ive also made a restrictor plate for it, and that did help with the hanging rmps, it drops nicely now, when it don't stick. So try cleaning the iac and see if you get a reaction, also +1 on the platnium plugs not needing gaped, not sure what you have?
What is IAC and where its located at. Think mine have same problem.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:10 AM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

As for the gasoline part of the discussion, I hear and feel a noticable difference in sound and performance when I pump 87 to 91. In my case, 87 burns really fast and doesn't run so well at high RPM's. However, 91 burns cleaner and lasts noticably longer, performs better at high RPM's and the sounds much better. All shell or chevron by the way.

why is that? I'm sure there's a benefit in pumping 91 than 87.

I'm really interested in this topic because I dont want to be wasting my money.

Even the OP felt a diff in changing octane....
Old 03-12-2010, 08:01 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nascrchi
As for the gasoline part of the discussion, I hear and feel a noticable difference in sound and performance when I pump 87 to 91. In my case, 87 burns really fast and doesn't run so well at high RPM's. However, 91 burns cleaner and lasts noticably longer, performs better at high RPM's and the sounds much better. All shell or chevron by the way.

why is that? I'm sure there's a benefit in pumping 91 than 87.

I'm really interested in this topic because I dont want to be wasting my money.

Even the OP felt a diff in changing octane....
If your car is stock compression and running the stock timing, you are completely wasting your money by running 91 octane fuel. No question about it.

An octane rating simply is a numerical representation of a certain fuel's resistance to detonation or pre-ignition. 91 octane does not burn any cleaner or release any more power when burned than 87 octane. The benefit of running a higher octane fuel is that you can run more timing or higher compression. Power adders also require the use of higher octane fuels because they increase the pressure in the combustion chambers.

The exception is sometimes carbon deposits can cause your compression to increase and therefore some engines with excessive deposits will run better on higher octane fuel. I thought that was already stated, but maybe I'm thinking of another thread.

Last edited by tbirdscwd; 03-12-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:27 PM
MustangManiac67
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
If your car is stock compression and running the stock timing, you are completely wasting your money by running 91 octane fuel. No question about it.

An octane rating simply is a numerical representation of a certain fuel's resistance to detonation or pre-ignition. 91 octane does not burn any cleaner or release any more power when burned than 87 octane. The benefit of running a higher octane fuel is that you can run more timing or higher compression. Power adders also require the use of higher octane fuels because they increase the pressure in the combustion chambers.

The exception is sometimes carbon deposits can cause your compression to increase and therefore some engines with excessive deposits will run better on higher octane fuel. I thought that was already stated, but maybe I'm thinking of another thread.
First off I gotta say SHELL ALL THE WAY...i get much better gas mileage over other gas stations, I get cleaner gas, and my car performs a bit better.

second, as he was saying, using any gas that your car is not tuned too will hurt your performance and gas mileage significantly. your engine (if stock) is timed to ignite at a certain time, if you have a gas that ignites easier(97 lets say) then when your car is timed, then it fu@ks up the timing an gas ignites too quick.

Keep in mind its all in milli seconds but it still is a big problem, bad on the motor to boot.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:30 PM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

Talking

Originally Posted by MustangManiac67
First off I gotta say SHELL ALL THE WAY...i get much better gas mileage over other gas stations, I get cleaner gas, and my car performs a bit better.

second, as he was saying, using any gas that your car is not tuned too will hurt your performance and gas mileage significantly. your engine (if stock) is timed to ignite at a certain time, if you have a gas that ignites easier(97 lets say) then when your car is timed, then it fu@ks up the timing an gas ignites too quick.

Keep in mind its all in milli seconds but it still is a big problem, bad on the motor to boot.
alright t-bird. I'll take your word for it since I have no knowledge about fuel and the way it burns, so I'll just pump 89 . thanks for that....

maniac, yea, shell is good to my car. haha thanks again...
Old 03-12-2010, 10:55 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

It's a common misconception that running "super" is better for your car. I'm just trying to help you out and save you a few bucks
Old 03-12-2010, 11:32 PM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

It's a common misconception that running "super" is better for your car. I'm just trying to help you out and save you a few bucks
thanks for the look-out! I will try 89 and see if I feel a diff. If not, 87 shell or chevron it is.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:55 AM
Nestang
2nd Gear Member

Well you must never get gas in western Nebraska lol(I think we get the bad gas or something), anytime I run 87 around here(even when I was stock), I would have poor performance, pinging etc. No matter what gas stations I used, I've always ran better on 91. Especially when temp.s are way high 87 gives and gave me problems.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:58 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nestang
Well you must never get gas in western Nebraska lol(I think we get the bad gas or something), anytime I run 87 around here(even when I was stock), I would have poor performance, pinging etc. No matter what gas stations I used, I've always ran better on 91. Especially when temp.s are way high 87 gives and gave me problems.
Maybe you have had bad gas LOL. Now it makes perfect sense that you need at least 91 since you are running diablosport tune

Quick Reply: Higher Octane=Better Running??? Totally Confused-Halp!!