4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Brief sqealing sounds when starting to accelerate

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 08:38 PM
ValeTudo
1st Gear Member

Default Brief sqealing sounds when starting to accelerate

After my car is parked for awhile, I've recently began hearing this squealing sound for a few seconds when I first accelerate. It isn't a belt, and it sounds like metal on metal. It usually last a few seconds if that just as I start moving forward, and it doesn't matter if I have the clutch in or out. The first few times I stop and go I hear it, but always the loudest the first time, and then nothing for the rest of the ride. It sounds kinds like break noise, but a slightly deeper sounding and not when I'm braking. I can't pinpoint where it's coming from other than underneath the car. I had a mechanic look at it and he couldn't find anything out of wack visually, so he said to keep an eye on it and bring it back if it gets worse. Any idea what could be causing this?
Old 04-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

if you have an aftermarket clutch it could be chatter
Old 04-05-2010, 09:19 PM
ValeTudo
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Frostbitten
if you have an aftermarket clutch it could be chatter
'

Nah, my clutch is still stock. It doesn't seem to matter if its just a I'm getting going or just as the clutch is fully engaged in 1st. It goes away after like 5-10 mph. It just sounds like metal on metal grind. Then again, I don't know what clutch chatter is supposed to sound like to be honest.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:34 PM
asiansensation78
1st Gear Member

How loud is the squeek? It may possibly be a wheel bearing
Old 04-05-2010, 09:46 PM
ValeTudo
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by asiansensation78
How loud is the squeek? It may possibly be a wheel bearing
It can be pretty loud. I started off quiet but it very slowly get louder and a bit more frequent(from just at the first take off, to the first 2 or 3). If it just happens to stick for a solid 2 seconds, it's a pretty piercing sound; brief but as loud as squealing brakes when it's there.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:46 PM
huey_33
2nd Gear Member

Just a shot in the dark, but I think the sound you are hearing was a topic discussion the other day. When you say "squealing", is it more of a deeper sound and does it just happen when you first accelerate? If you're answer is yes, then check your IAC. Cliffyk pointed this out the other day. Your IAC will start making a "french horn/goose honk" sound when it's starting to go bad. Mines been doing it for a couple weeks now and need to get it replaced.

Last edited by huey_33; 04-05-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:51 PM
asiansensation78
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ValeTudo
It can be pretty loud. I started off quiet but it very slowly get louder and a bit more frequent(from just at the first take off, to the first 2 or 3). If it just happens to stick for a solid 2 seconds, it's a pretty piercing sound; brief but as loud as squealing brakes when it's there.
Random thought but check your brake pads, when I bought my car for some reason the glue that held the compound to the actual pad wore out and the pad was rubbing against the rotor at low speed and caused a squeaking sound.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:52 PM
ValeTudo
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by huey_33
Just a shot in the dark, but I think the sound you are hearing was a topic discussion the other day. When you say "squealing", is it more of a deeper sound and does it just happen when you first accelerate? If you're answer is yes, then check your IAC. Cliffyk pointed this out the other day. Your IAC will start making a "french horn/goose honk" sound when it's starting to go bad. Mines been doing it for a couple weeks now and need to get it replaced.
It's more of a metal "squeal" or "grind" than a deeper horn-like sound. I was thinking maybe wheel bearing which was mentioned, but driving remains normal.
The winter here was pretty rough, so I was thinking that maybe something isn't lubricated properly. Not sure.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:57 PM
ValeTudo
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by asiansensation78
Random thought but check your brake pads, when I bought my car for some reason the glue that held the compound to the actual pad wore out and the pad was rubbing against the rotor at low speed and caused a squeaking sound.
That's a good thought, I'll have to check that this weekend. So you're saying that this made the pads clearance a little off which caused it to rub? That would make sense in my situation.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:03 PM
asiansensation78
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ValeTudo
That's a good thought, I'll have to check that this weekend. So you're saying that this made the pads clearance a little off which caused it to rub? That would make sense in my situation.
Kind of, a brake pad is comprised of the plate that clips against the caliper and the actual pad compound, which is glued to the backing plate. The glue wore out and therefore the actual friction compound was just bouncing and rubbing against the rotor at low speeds. I don't know how familiar you are with basic aerodynamics but when the wheels moved faster, the laminar airflow viscosity formed a thin pressure boundary layer on the rotor so the friction material stayed in place for the most part and the noise was quieter. The glue on old pads can fail, especially if it was iced over.

Quick Reply: Brief sqealing sounds when starting to accelerate