4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

MHS stage 2 cams

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 11:37 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Default MHS stage 2 cams

I recently had them installed, and the results were interesting to say the least. Here's the deal: My best n/a was 269/305 before, and after 284/300. On the 100 shot before was 373/528 , and after 396/495. Even though my peak tq number is lower (it was a spike at 3k anyway) the average number is a bit higher and broader overall. This was done on the same dyno that i've always dynoed on. What's interesting is that my tuner says no matter what cams are used (we're talking stock heads and intake here) he always sees 15-20 rwhp, and nothing more. He's seen CMS stage 2's, Comp stage 1 and 2's, Anderson N-22's, and Crower stage 2's, and it's always the same 15-20 according to him. The best he's seen was CMS stage 2's at 20 rwhp.

Anyway, regardless of the numbers, it is definitely stronger from 4500 on up. Power from 3000-4500 was the same, then both tq & hp really open up. Torque was down 5 (right around 4000-4500 rpm) but it's a much broader total curve. Apparently my rev limiter is still at 6050 rpm (he was supposed to move it up and forgot) and it wants to pull very strong beyond that. Needless to say i'll be changing that soon.

As far as sound goes, i didn't expect them to sound as good as they do. My tuner said it sounds similar to some of the Comp and Crower 2's that he's heard before. My idle is set at 950 at the moment, and i'll be having it dropped a bit when i get my rev limiter bumped up.

As far as the install went, it took us 25 hrs total with the engine in the car lol. The cams came 5 and 7 degrees retarded from Bullet. With the matched cam gears and TFS crank gears we degreed them to a 110 ICL. To get everything matched up right was a huge learning experience. Now for those of you that think PTV clearance issues aren't a big problem with bigger cams and stock PI heads...we got a whopping .025"-.030" clearance on mine. Remember that's with matched cam gears too that are within +/- .5 degrees. Nick is definitely spot on when it comes to this. I can't imagine what the measurement would've been with larger cams.

Regardless of the dyno numbers, i'll be happy if i see a 2 mph n/a gain at the track. When i set the rev limiter higher, i'll head to the track and find out. My best n/a run so far is a 13.3 @ 104 with a 2.0 60ft.

Also, i'd like to thank Nick for all his help. We did the install on Saturday and Sunday, and he was there on a few occasions to help us through some of the tough parts. I'm sure i annoyed him a bit with my several emails, calls, and what not (sorry man lol) but his guidance was greatly appreciated.

Here's a small clip that i threw on Youtube. I'll get some better ones (and longer too) when i drop the idle a bit. With my speakers, i can barely hear the bass and chop of the cams (it sounds really deep and bassy with my exhaust) but on my dad's and bro's computer i can definitely hear it chop a lot more. So, i assume i have some crappy speakers lol.

Anyway, here's the clip. Let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njaxo_0S938

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9lns...eature=related

Last edited by mrtstang; 04-25-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:43 AM
IEGT1015
3rd Gear Member

sounds good. I would of thought your rwhp number would have been close to 300, since before you had 269. But oh well, should be more fun
Old 04-24-2010, 12:49 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Yeah, i was hoping for better numbers, but considering that my guy never sees higher than 20 hp (highest he remembers was 290 rwhp with CMS stage 2's) even with bigger cams, i'm pretty satisfied with the numbers all things considered.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:08 PM
JayC
4th Gear Member

That 269 seems a bit high. Are we talking standard or SAE numbers. 20 rwhp from cams seem very low to me. Oh BTW my CMS Stage II's got me 40rwhp, same dyno, dynoed before and right after install. All within 48 hours.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:26 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Yeah, all of this is a bit weird really, which further solidifies the fact that dynos seem to vary a lot. Like i mentioned the best he ever got with CMS stage 2's was 20 rwhp, and the car dynoed on his dyno a week prior, so who knows. All's i know is that i'm in the ballpark with all the other cams regardless of numbers.

I mean the car feels noticeably stronger (it pulls to 6k and want's to keep pulling hard) but the numbers just don't jive with the SOTP feel.

As far as SAE or standard numbers, i'm not sure in all honesty.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:12 PM
JayC
4th Gear Member

Well it's a good gain no matter what the dyno says. I hate playing dyno games but i get wrapped up in it like everybody else.
Nick does a good job on his cams and is a good dude, even if he does chap my *** about my PTV once in a while. lol
Old 04-24-2010, 03:35 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

For sure man. It's hard not to get wrapped up in the numbers game. What works theoretically vs the real world can be drastically different sometimes. I hope to get to the track soon, and be able to report back with some good news.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:25 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

I wouldn't worry about the numbers. Like you said Rod, Lidio sees gain of 15-20rwhp with the popular cams, even CMS stage 2 cams. I hate dyno numbers because numbers are so subjective and every dyno is different. Just like Jay said, he saw 40rwhp and Lidio has only seen 20rwhp with CMS Stage 2 cams. That just shows how much dyno number are different and almost meaningless.

I'm very interested to see your track times. That will be the true test for what your cams can do. I mean as long as you can drive

You definitely need to post another video after you drop your idle down to 800rpm.

Congrat Rod on getting them finally installed. I know how long you have been waiting for it to happen.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:46 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Thanks. If i can hit consistent 106 mph traps n/a i'll be happy, considering i trap 103-104 mph on average now. I just hope i have enough gear in 4th with the juice to make a 1/4 mile run lol. It runs like a beast on the juice.

Yes, the idle definitely needs to be dropped a bit. I'm not sure how it sounds on your computer, but in person it has a really deep and bassy sound with a nice chop. Not so much of the hollow choppy sound that you get with a chambered muffler and o/r pipe. I'm sure my catted h is holding back the sound a bit.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:28 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by mrtstang
Thanks. If i can hit consistent 106 mph traps n/a i'll be happy, considering i trap 103-104 mph on average now. I just hope i have enough gear in 4th with the juice to make a 1/4 mile run lol. It runs like a beast on the juice.

Yes, the idle definitely needs to be dropped a bit. I'm not sure how it sounds on your computer, but in person it has a really deep and bassy sound with a nice chop. Not so much of the hollow choppy sound that you get with a chambered muffler and o/r pipe. I'm sure my catted h is holding back the sound a bit.
Ya I'm very interested to see what you do at the track. From what you said about the typical results Lidio sees on his dyno, I have no doubt you will see the gains you should get.

The videos sounded good on my speakers. I do really like the sound of your exhaust and I could hear a little cam chop in there. I'm sure it will sound very good when you lower your idle rpm. When you put together the next cam video do a once around your car. I haven't ever seen it before and from the rear it looks very clean. That or take pictures of it lol

You should have put this in the general discussion forum because I don't think as many people look in this part of the forum.

Quick Reply: MHS stage 2 cams